Polk SDA SRS power recommendation (RMS)

Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited September 2008
    Options
    SDA 1C's in a 13 x 20 room. On the long wall. Listening distance about 8 ft. give or take. 100 wpc Adcom 545. Plays full and plenty loud. Never had the clipping lights flicker yet.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited September 2008
    Options
    deep bass wrote: »
    Just curious, what are you guys feeding your sda's for power?

Thank you everyone for your help and responses.

Sunfire Signature 600 Two (600 wpc/8 ohms, 1200/4) make my SDA's happy! :)
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    SDA 1C's in a 13 x 20 room. On the long wall. Listening distance about 8 ft. give or take. 100 wpc Adcom 545. Plays full and plenty loud. Never had the clipping lights flicker yet.

H9

Your not pushing hard enough!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Your not pushing hard enough!

No,, he obviously has a trait that some of us do not,,,,self control ;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Zingo the MC1201 is on its way.... (J/K) I can't justify spending that kind of money right now.

Heiney9: Cool article link to the SDA SRS.

How is that set up working GDB?

Just curious, what are you guys feeding your sda's for power?

Thank you everyone for your help and responses.

Dear deep, I'm just recovering from the trip to VA to get them and haven't even gotten them out of the car yet! I will say that my totally stock SDA1As sound very strong and clean being driven by a Carver TFM-35 that produces 400wpc@4ohms. I just have to cut the treble a lot to be able to stand the silver 2000 tweeters (too harsh sounding for my ears) Enjoy them !:)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2008
    Options
    What is the recommended or RMS of the Polk Sda Srs's? According to the Polk Audio website the power recommendation is 1000watts...

The Polks are 1000 watts? 1000 watts what? Program? Peak? RMS? amplifier power. What kind of top end does that give us? 250 watts? 500 watts? VERY little information here unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas or throughts? Please feel free to comment or leave feedback. All the help is appreciated.

Most amps measure their output power in RMS watts, so for proper speaker-amp matching, I would expect most speaker manufacturers to specify their speaker's power handling capability in RMS watts.

SDA's are fairly efficient speakers, so higher amplifier power is not recommended primarily for playing louder, it is recommended primarily for improvement in sound stage and imaging quality.

As I have gone up in amplifier power and quality (200W to 300W to 400W), I attained a more stable and detailed sound stage with heavier images and more detailed SDA effect.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!