buzz in my tweeter

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Was watching Minority Report last night and was not hearing much sound coming out of the left front RT1000i. so i checked the connections.. yeah lose interconnect. But while tightening that up.. i also noticed a buzz coming from that speakers tweeter.

Gear: Marantz SR5000 receiver. front pre outs go into a Marantz MA500 mono block... both fronts and center are bi wired. I thought it was the interconnect again from the pre out to the amp. I switched it out. and I still have a buzz in my left front 1000 tweeter.

Has anyone else noticed a buzz in their tweeter before? It's a tri-lam tweeter right? Could the buzz be coming from the amp in the RT1000? I"m sure i'll be able to figure out what the problem is. Also... since i live in a ver old house... with old wiring, the outlet where it's plugged into the walll is not grounded.

Guess i'll have to try to eliminate or isolate one thing at a time.. till i can figure out what's causing the buzz. there is no buzz in the right front speaker. I'ts not very bad.. you can really only here it when you are close to the speaker with your ear next to the tweeter. But still, i'm a purist, and i want to get rid of the buzz if I can. The 1000i sounds great.. works great.. just annoying buzz is all :supermad:
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ok, spent a good part of the day trying out different things.. switched the right and left fronts.. and it's not the speaker. It's either the left pre out or the speaker wiring. they are bi wired.. using monster XP. guess that should be cheap to fix if it is the speaker wire. otherwise if it's the pre out... i guess i can live with it.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    strange, but the buzz that was there... has now become a hissing sound. it's very low, but it's only coming from that left front speaker.
  • prayasa
    prayasa Posts: 2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have developed a similiar problem with my SDA 1 tweeters. Strangely it is very pronounced when I listen to wind instruments especially the Flute. I need to check my pre and amp out. I have (2) Tweeters each for a total of Four.
    I can't believe that all four will start hissing at the same time?
    I suspect the pre-amp.
    Any suggestions?
    EXCLUSIVE POLK LISTENER SINCE 1985.
    SDA-1C, MONITOR 7.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    prayasa, have you swapped out left and right speakers or at the very least the interconnects between your pre out and amp? I did. and found that no matter what speaker I hooked up to the left pre out, it would make the tri lam tweeter hiss.

It's a very low level hiss, can only be heard when i don't have any audio playing thru it. I put my ear up to the left front tweeter, and sure enough it's there. I plan on replacing the speaker cable run and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, i guess i will live with it.

good luck to you too
  • prayasa
    prayasa Posts: 2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    danger boy,
    I sweared never to get CD's from the local Library, I did it again! What do you know Two CD's had scrathches so bad that it buzzed my tweeter. I played good CD's last night and they worked fine, no tweeter hiss/buzz. Thanks for your suggestions.
    No more Library CD's!! You get (buzz) what you pay (zip) for!
    EXCLUSIVE POLK LISTENER SINCE 1985.
    SDA-1C, MONITOR 7.