Has anyone tweaked their original SDA's?

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Since hoosier21 ID'd the updates my SRS's went through to become the 1.2 tl's in the SDA history thread (thanks hoosier), I've been wondering if anyone has updated their orignal SDA's. If yes, was it worth the effort/ cost? Was it a DYI?

Anyway I have been searching the past couple days for existing threads and keep coming up empty. So if you can help me out with a link or reply, I'd appreciate it...

Maybe, it's a leave well enough alone situation, but sometimes when you learn what's out there...
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    As complexed as that crossover is, and all those drivers, I for one would not even think about trying to change them.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Raife has upgraded caps and resistors in some (most?) of his SDAs. I'm sure he will be on this post shortly.

If I remember right, he gave a lenghty explanation, and cost breakdown for one model, but I can't seem to find the post.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2003
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    F1nut,
    Many thanks for your persistence. Did you, Stubby, har, or axeman follow through?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2003
    It's on my to do list. Har hasn't yet and I'm not sure about the others.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited January 2003
    The SDA SRS (original) has a large, rectangular crossover circuit board whose spaciousness lends itself well to tweeks, upgrades, modifications, etc. Unfortunately, this is not true of the other speakers in the SDA line. The small circuit boards of the other SDA's, including later versions of the SRS, present real challenges to upgrading crossover components. In the majority of cases, premium components are much larger than the stock components you want to replace. Working on those crossovers is about as much fun as having a root canal done. It is not a casual undertaking.

Ironically, since my SRS's are the front speakers in my home theater system, I feel no need to modify them, even though they would be the easiest to work on.

The mods I performed generally provided small, but noticeable, improvments in detaill and imaging. For me, it was worth it, particularly for the 1.2TL's used in my main audio rig.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    So it's possible on the SRS's... I'll hit up Ken... Why not, it only took three trips to the store to get my Heathkit AA-15 working back in '71...

Thanks Raife.. Until now I had not snapped to the fact that you owned 1.2's AND SRS's... ya gotta be :D all the time...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli