DIY coat hanger speaker cables

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I was up late last night, and with all the talk of using coat hangers as speaker cable I figured I would give it a go. Well I collected 12 hangers, and straightened them out as best I could. I then soldered the hangers together. They just don't solder well. I hooked them up being careful that they did not touch. No sound. Nothing. I checked all the connections, and I didn't see any problems. I will try it again when I have some free time. The next experiment I will try the metal coat hangers. The plastic ones just don't cut it:eek::D
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Time to take a break from soldering, the fumes are getting to you.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sometimes I think you are related to CL, Ben with your DIY ideas and subsequent posting..........;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Soldering plastic hangers must have smelled fun....
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ben, they need to break in; leave them playing for 200 hours and you'll be able to hear something.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2008
    Options
    WTF no Pictures!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PTong88
    PTong88 Posts: 37
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Why are you trying to make coat hangers into speaker cables? I don't think most of them will hold a current very well.
    ONKYO TX-SR606
    polkaudio RM30 (Cntr)
    polkaudio RM7400T (Frnt L & R)
    polkaudio RM6902 (Surr L & R)
    polkaudio RM 6901 (Rear L & R)
    polkaudio DSW Pro 400 Sub (Front & Rear Sub)
    SAMSUNG HPS-5053, APC C2
    Microsoft XBox 360 Elite, Microsoft Xbox, SONY PlayStation 3, SONY Playstation 2, Nintendo Wii, SNES, Nintendo
    SONY CDP-CX455, SONY CDP-NC85H
    Monster HTS 5100 SS MKII, Monster PowerCenter SW 200, Monster PowerCenter AV 200
    Logitech Harmony 550
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2008
    Options
    PTong88, I think he's kidding us ;)

But I think it will sound better then Monster Cable.

We all know "Copper is Copper" all wires sound the same.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I've heard using one continuous piece of rebar for each leg sounds fantastic........
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Did you use the right kind of flux? Plastic requires water soluble flux. :D

You need to use wire hangers and leave them hanging in the closet. This gets them up off the floor and saves from having to buy isolators. Also, you can hang various articles of clothing on them to provide dampening. This will also have the added bonus of insulating the hangers and keeping the electrons flowing smoothly and give you a much better "presentation" on your sound stage.

Keep us informed!

:D
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ok I'm out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    tugboat wrote: »
    Did you use the right kind of flux? Plastic requires water soluble flux. :D

You need to use wire hangers and leave them hanging in the closet. This gets them up off the floor and saves from having to buy isolators. Also, you can hang various articles of clothing on them to provide dampening. This will also have the added bonus of insulating the hangers and keeping the electrons flowing smoothly and give you a much better "presentation" on your sound stage.

Keep us informed!

:D

Thanks Tuggy:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben