csi30 thumping w/deep voices

Options
Alan M
Alan M Posts: 9
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I'm slowly upgrading a pioneer HTIB 510. I replaced the L/R w/rt25i's, then replaced the center w/a sony n495. What a difference! but I could really tell that it didn't match the polk's so I returned it and got the csi30 and love it. Everything flows so much better. However, I've notice that it seems to annoyingly thump with deep voices. I haven't had a chance to play w/it too much but it almost seems more noticeable w/low volume. I have the receiver set to small speakers and crossover at 150, tried 100 and 200 and not much difference. I'm even wondering if it's simply the sub turned up too high. I love my polk speakers and wonder if I just need to tune it in a bit. Also, any ideas on which (economical) sub to match everything with?
Post edited by Alan M on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If your center is set to small, the thumping is probably coming from the sub. Try a lower x-over to the sub, like 80 Hz.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Alan M
    Alan M Posts: 9
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I did more checking and it is coming from the sub. I'm not able to change the x-over to sub, only the setting to the "small" speakers. I can manually turn down the 'power' to the sub and that of course stops it but then I lose the bass for the tv. I'm saving for a new sub so I guess I'll just deal with for a little while.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Try a speaker level hookup to the sub if it has a variable filter on the back. Set your mains to large and your sub to no/off and run the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub and then to the mains. Set the filter at the sub to 80 Hz or a bit less.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS