Separate amps for mains and center channel.

Options
2»

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have to agree.. i think still the pre-pro-amp is the way to go.. but not all of us have that kind of set up. I hope to in the next couple of years to get away from my receiver and go that route.

As for what i prefer. yeah prefer pre-pro-amp. but what I have and can afford is, receiver with external amps.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by inspire

oh and I also can't understand people who has cheap receiver and trying to hook up with 3x the cost of the receiver alone. y would they do that?? there r ### of quality preamps out there, which doesn't cost alot.

Inspire, welcome.

I guess not all of us can afford a system with seperate pre-pro-amps units. yeah i dont' think anyone here will disagree that they are better. some of us go the receiver route.. for 1 it's less expensive. 2 that's what we prefer, 3 it's less hassle setting things up than with seperates. 4 I think more people have receivers in their homes than have seperates. there again, not debating you on this point. just stating a point.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Inspire what costs a small amount to you.. could be a huge amount of $$ to someone else. My total system costs me about $2800 that does not include a TV. that was for all 6 Polk speakers, a Marantz receiver, Toshiba DVD player and two Marantz mono block amps. that's a big amount of $ to me. some others on here... that may be pocket change.

I'm sure no one on here would turn down buying Krell or Mark Levinson amps if they could afford em.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok, i'm done ranting for one night. i've got a party to go to.. and alcohol to consume.. :p
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    but seriously how many people play louder than the Reference Volume level??!! I'm talking about average receiver that is capable of 100watts Per channels. I think it's an overkill.
    oh and I also can't understand people who has cheap receiver and trying to hook up with 3x the cost of the receiver alone. y would they do that?? there r ### of quality preamps out there, which doesn't cost alot.

Let me ask u this - Just because U walk down a road of gold, does that mean ur happy? - that being said, many guys are happy with a cheapo receiver, and sometimes that cheapo receiver mated with cheapo amps, and low-mid class speakers, i mean this system to them like me and many others is their respect, it may not of cost alot to others, but they respect it because they worked for it, and bought it with their own money! That being said, I am buying seperate amps, although, I am not going to buy a pre/pro - why? Because I dont have the cash, and Personally - I dont see the point. Newayz, I am just rambling

oh yeah, if i could play reference volume right now, id be on it - when u pay for something, why not get its all? lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    how many people here prefer
    1. A/V receiver + amp
    2.Dedicated pre amp + amp

I'm tell you guyz. Lots of people think they r makin huge difference cuz its Playing louder than before...I'm taking bout the detailed sound. but if u like the new sound, what can i say. everyone has different teste.

I totally disagree, lol! If I buy a sherwood 100 dollar receiver, and then I buy (3) 500 wat 2 channel amps to hook up to it, will the sound only be louder, and not better - I DO NOT THINK SO! there is no way that u can say the sound will not be better, im not trying to get flamed, im just spreading an opinion - either that or i need sleep! LOL! I wish my receiver played louder, btw - thats why I bought the adcom, but now I gotta sale the receiver and get the next line up receiver...ohh well!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    To end it all - the only thing I have noticed about alot of preamps is how the new ones are so fastly out of date, but cost so much! outlaw's is 1000 i think, and the video is out of date, so is alot of adcom's - I mean why spend cash on a new out of date product? But w/e...jus spreadin my 2 cents worth of change
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Ok, i'm done ranting for one night. i've got a party to go to.. and alcohol to consume.. :p

Polk to fry, drivers to blow, and tweeters to kill...muahahha, as long as their not urs right? party on! everyone go over to dangers!

BTW - INSPIRE...I want ur pre/pro and amp...argh! lol! B&K is some nice junk! *looks at adcom*...ohh well...lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • inspire
    inspire Posts: 21
    edited January 2003
    Options
    the point is not the $!
    I used to own onkyo 787 and sony receiver(can't even remember its model name cuz it's old and gave to my brother.) They were all great receiver.
    ok now. without the power amp. I used volume level between 50-60 for comfortable sound mostly during movie.
    oh and yea. I also thought about adding a nice power amp to improve sound but the receiver can do so much.(spec wise)
    so its like choice of buying a better receiver or pre/pro.
    Can't justify buying Expensive amp to cheap receiver. I just can't.
    I would just buy Better receiver!
    oh and by the way. what was the reason you guyz bought seprate amps for your receivers???! Wanted play further than reference level or the speakers are like Martin Logans???
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    Silicon Image IscanUltra Pro
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Ascent i main
    Martin Logan Theater i center
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk RT 800 for side surrounds
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok, so some like it, some don't.

Quit typing the same **** over and over until you FORCE your opinion on someone, or feel some trivial sense of victory, and go listen to those killer rigs.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ya - you tell tell'em Russman. Stop typing and go listen to your killer systems. Losers!!!!:lol:
  • inspire
    edited January 2003
    Options
    hey that's not nice to say "****" for my replies.
    I'm pretty sure there are lot's folks who wants to know by adding a power amp to their receiver will make huge differences. I know I was. when I only had receiver alone. so it's important issue that we should talk bout before some1 buy expensive amp and later regret buying it cuz they only heard good stuffs through online.
    some1 should point out negatives also.
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • inspire
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I ain't here to offend no1, I just want to talk bout the reason of adding power amp to the receiver. that's all~
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I just want to talk bout the reason of adding power amp to the receiver. that's all~

Because it often sounds better than just a recevier, especially when using speakers that are 4ohms or lower.

Because it's a midway point in an upgrade path.

Because it looks cool.

Because you want to.
  • inspire
    edited January 2003
    Options
    that is a good answer i cannot disagree..haha
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Funny - when I added a 2ch power amp to my center channel there was no love. The power amp was made especially for my reciever. An a few people own this reciever. You know were just kidding. But the $hit gets pretty deep in here sometimes.;)
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Options
    who is right??? i am now having second thoughts on buying a separate amp to bi-amp my LSI9s and LSIC. after all this debate i think i am just going to have to demo some amps and see if it is worth it to me.
    as far as the receiver vs. dedicated pre-amp subject, i would love to use that kind of set-up, IF i could afford it. my biggest issue is getting the most bang for my buck. i've put about 3k into my home theater in the last couple of months. it sounds great, but as we all know the LSI's are very power hungry. they need more power to really shine. Would i like a separate preamp and amp, yes, do i have the money,no. next best thing, buy a power amp now that i can afford and upgrade as time goes on. that's my plan.
    going to look at a HK Signature 2.1 today, classified add in the paper, guy wants $400 for it. anybody had any expereiance with this amp???
    regards,
    nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • inspire
    edited January 2003
    Options
    oh no. the amp will sound differently on different application.
    I don't recommend blind buying on audio equipment. Specially if u can't return it.! It may sound great on some1's ear might sound too bright, too muddy, or no bass improvement at all to u.
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Talk about a subject that we have beaten to death.

I use my receiver as a preamp for my mains and center. It sounds better to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • inspire
    edited January 2003
    Options
    my previous set up was onkyo787 + marantz mm9000 amp.
    Sure played Louder than before, but I couldn't find any sound quality improvement. I also tried to biamp my CS400i center from reciever and power amp. no difference noticed. My local HFshop told me about the issue of using Preout from receiver and Manufacture will not focus on preouts sound quality. I was like Heck with it but later realize what he meant. He told me that "if u want to buy amp for your receiver simply it's not loud enough, u can buy. but don't expect it will sound better than what your receiver's spec can handle.
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    my previous set up was onkyo787 + marantz mm9000 amp.
    Sure played Louder than before, but I couldn't find any sound quality improvement. I also tried to biamp my CS400i center from reciever and power amp. no difference noticed. My local HFshop told me about the issue of using Preout from receiver and Manufacture will not focus on preouts sound quality. I was like Heck with it but later realize what he meant. He told me that "if u want to buy amp for your receiver simply it's not loud enough, u can buy. but don't expect it will sound better than what your receiver's spec can handle.

DO WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur local hifi shop - so if cc tells me that subwoofers dont make a difference....do they?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • nellis8166
    edited January 2003
    Options
    yikes,
    can't quite figure out how a simple question turned into all this. very confused at this point. think that some might take this a little too far. you have to remember that i am relatively new at this, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    regards,
    nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Nat, here is what you do. Go to a local shop and have them hook up amps to a receiver and do an a/b test. If you like what you hear than go with it.

Opinions are like ****, everybody has one but in the end, it's your ears, your money and your rig. The last thing you want to worry about is what someone else thinks of your rig, if you dig the way it sounds then go with it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nellis8166
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well said Troy, couldn't have said it better myself. I went to a local hifi shop today and listened to various amps all through a HK pre-amp. By far the best that i heard in my price range was a Adcom GFA7400. They have a brand new one that was used as a demo for cheap. Going to get it tomorrow and they are going to let me test it with my set-up for a week. Really looking forward to it.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James