Best drugs to improve your listening experience

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
We'll I have some people coming over this weekend, and I really want to fully be able to enjoy the music. My ears are plugging up a little, and my sound stage is off, and so is my ability to hear the full frequency range. You guys have any suggestions to help clear things up?
Thanks
Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ask a pharmacist.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Turn it down a little. Best drug available. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Its not the volume level, but it feels like I have water in one ear, and the other has wax buildup:( The kids, and I have just gotten over a bug thing.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Pop your ears.... it works for me. You can ethier pop your jaw are hold your nose clasp then blow thru your nose. It will force a new hearing from your ears. Kinda unplugs em so to speak...like i said it works for me.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have wax build up rather quickly in my ears. Every 5 or 6 months I go to my family doctor and he just rinses them out with a big syringe filled with warm water and some mild soap. I get "plugs" of wax coming out of there. Painless, quick, and I come out of there hearing new sounds in the air.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Pop your ears.... it works for me. You can ethier pop your jaw are hold your nose clasp then blow thru your nose. It will force a new hearing from your ears. Kinda unplugs em so to speak...like i said it works for me.

This works kinda for about 2 minutes
    joeparaski wrote: »
    I have wax build up rather quickly in my ears. Every 5 or 6 months I go to my family doctor and he just rinses them out with a big syringe filled with warm water and some mild soap. I get "plugs" of wax coming out of there. Painless, quick, and I come out of there hearing new sounds in the air.

Joe
    I would love to be able to do this, but here in the good Ol USA doctor visits are not available to broke people like me:o

I wish I had a water pick(the kind for cleaning your teeth). Some warm water, and soap would most likely do my ears good.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    edited August 2008
    Options
    "Debrox" drops. Earwax removal aid. No prescription. Available at most grocery stores.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I should have asked a few days ago:(
    Tom have you used this product?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yes sir. Works well. It says on the website that it takes four days to work but IME one application does it. Of course, that's me. YMMV.

If you have sinuses or any kind of congestion it can affect how you hear as well from what I have noticed. For that, you just have to let nature take it's course.
  • FrysElectronics
    FrysElectronics Posts: 11
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Alcohol. Ahahaha, it'll make you 'feel' the music more but that's by being drunk. It's actually bad for the ears and helps you NOT hear lol. So you're asking what kind of medications like sudafed for the ears? Or recreational drugs?
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Debrox, and an ear syringe. Use warm water, or it will suck, a lot.:D
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well thats two votes, and the stuff is in my budget. I'll hit CVS inthe AM.
    Thanks guys. If that doesn't work I'll try Acid, or shrooms:eek:

J/K
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Just smoke a fatty...
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    This works kinda for about 2 minutes

I would love to be able to do this, but here in the good Ol USA doctor visits are not available to broke people like me:o

I wish I had a water pick(the kind for cleaning your teeth). Some warm water, and soap would most likely do my ears good.
    Ben

There's really no need for a doctor Ben. The syringe looks like one of those big syringes used to put icing on a cake. The doc has a curved tray which I hold under my ear to catch the water and wax flowing out while he squirts the mix into the ear. No big deal really.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Libertyc wrote: »
    Just smoke a fatty...

Its been quit a while....
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dc55110
    dc55110 Posts: 128
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ear candling... A little unnerving the first time but works wonders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling
    (((STEREO)))
    Sony DVP-N9000es
    Squeezebox Duet
    Theta ProBasic IIIA
    Audio Research SP14
    White Audio Labs B1
    Transparent SoundWave Super
    Paradigm Studio Monitor
    B&W 802 s3

HT
    Sony Bravia KDL-40Z4100
    Sony BDP-S350
    Yamaha HTR-5790
    NHT SB3 (Fronts)
    NHT SC2 (center)
    NHT SB2 (surround)
    Velodyne FSR12
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Oh Yeah - Peroxide is what doctors flush ear wax out. It works great and is super cheap.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Oh Yeah - Peroxide is what doctors flush ear wax out. It works great and is super cheap.

+1 - Peroxide works great for wax or swimmers ear. Have tried the ear cleaning kits before and always made things worse rather than better.

put some in the cap (of the peroxide bottle) and just dump it in your ear. When the bubbleing stops, turn your head into a towel and repeat the process. Does not hurt and works great.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'll check the medicine cabinet. If I don't have any I'll pick some up. I need it for allthe other injury's I get doing dumb stuff:)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Go get your ears flushed. It feels great and you will then hear everything.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited August 2008
    Options

X2 on the Peroxide!

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You guys keep this up I might even start using soap when I shower:eek:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2008
    Options
  • suprafantx
    suprafantx Posts: 249
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I do not know any drug to help your hearing but hearing aid should help a lot:)
    Living room
    Speakers: McIntosh XR100 Fronts, LSIM707 Fronts, LSIM 706 Center, LSIM 703 Surrounds, LSi/FX Surround backs.
    Player: Oppo 95.
    Amps: Bryston 4B SST, B&K Ref 200.7 S2.
    Pres: B&K Ref 50 S2, Paraound P5.
    Subs: Dual Rythmik F15HP subs.

Man Cave
    Speakers: Martin Logan Vistas.
    Player: OPPO 105.
    Preamp: B&K Ref 50 S2.
    Amp: B&K Ref 125.2 S2
    Sub: Rythmik F12.
    Sub management: SMS-1.
    Headphones: HD800, HD380, RS220, SRH-1840. Headphone amp: Woo WA2.
    Room treatment: GIK Room Kit #1.
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    suprafantx wrote: »

My hearing aid is external:)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=904231&postcount=65
    It's just a tempory thing. Cold, and wax buildup;)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    edited August 2008
    Options
    suprafantx wrote: »
    Oh boy, just another example of a member being hostile!!

Or....maybe, quite possibly it was a little "ribbing". Should we report this post? I'm so torn....

Actually that was cold but funny. :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I use Murine ear cleaner--just thick peroxide basically.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Quaaludes. . .
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    dc55110 wrote: »
    Ear candling... A little unnerving the first time but works wonders.

"According to medical researchers, it is both dangerous and ineffective." :p

I used to just get one of the big ear syringes and squirt warm water in my ears with my head cocked side ways. If you do it in the shower, it's easy easy.
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well I just returned from CVS, and all the earwax remoal stuff is as stated above thick peroxide. Time to **** my ears:) CVS brand same $hit as everything else;)
    Thanks
    Ben