Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2005
    Yep to Avatars and the ability to edit a thread title....hehe
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    I can't believe that no moderators have posted in this thread. Maybe we should PM Justin about it.

By ignoring us, theyre politely telling us, "f'get about it!" :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Catbo
    Catbo Posts: 7
    edited March 2008
    Wow! I'm shocked there is still no "avatars" allowed all these few years of asking for them!!! Strange! Wonder why not. I guess no one is listening who is moderating this web site?
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Hell, why not...liven it up a bit
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Because avatars eat up bandwidth that Polk Audio already pays for.

Avatars eat up other server resources that Polk Audio pays for too. Keep in mind that Polk Audio does not collect dues to fund the site and only asks that you be a Polk Audio customer to use the site. Good deal IMO and not worth **** up over some pictures.

Avatars provide another avenue for people to upload material that someone else might find offensive and complain about.

Avatars clutter up an otherwise clean board and keep things from getting out-of-hand and unreadable.

Avatars have absolutly no use other than to give people pretty pictures to look at and drag down server performance.

I'm all for leaving avatars off of Club Polk.

I think that the ability to edit thread titles would be nice because there have been a few times where I screwed up spelling or something in a thread title and wished I could go back and change it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    With the forum software Polk uses, there is an option to not display avatars if the user so chooses. That would solve the bogged down bandwidth problems.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2008
    Avatars....many have tried, all have failed. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    With the forum software Polk uses, there is an option to not display avatars if the user so chooses. That would solve the bogged down bandwidth problems.

No, it wouldn't. Because the option to keep avatars from being shown requires more code to be parsed for each post on a page to take the avatar out. That reduces response time, increases processing time and requires more throughput. All of which can drag a server to it's knees depending on user load.

No avatars I say! Harumph!

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    what's the big deal with avatars anyway? I could care less one way or the other. to me it's a non issue. if we had avatars, i probably wouldn't use it anyways.

I say if someone wants to have an avatar on here.. they should pay $10 to be able to use it. and those that don't want an avatar won't have to have one.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2008
    I'll cast a yes vote in favor of avatars :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    +1000 to Jstas. Well said.

Chances are, if there were avatars, 95% of people would display them, which would still put a strain on the Polk servers (on the SERVER end, not the client end).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2008
    The file size of the avatar can be limited.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    The file size of the avatar can be limited.

You're not getting it.

File size is unimportant. It'll eat up bandwidth, that's really it. What is important in the code that gets run behind the scenes that is the problem. Avatars eat up processing cycles because they can be posted multiple times on a page and each posting requires a call to a database which then requires a call to a file system and once those arrays or linked lists are built, they then need to be stored in memory so that the server can build the webpage to serve out to the web server.

The more crap the server has to load into that page, the worse the performance gets because it chews up memory, clock cycles and bandwidth. It doesn't seem like a ton of stuff to one user but look at the numbers of "current users viewing Club Polk" at the bottom of the main page. Multiply that by 25-30 posts per page and you can see how all those server calls and such will drag performance through the floor.

Polk Audio is a perfect example of a quality website. It is fast, has tons of informative info, looks good, is fairly intuitive and doesn't have all these flashy bells and whistles. That goes for both Club Polk and polkaudio.com I like how fast it runs and that when I hit the bookmark, it loads almost instantly and I'm surfing away effortlessly. Avatars will destroy that and cause a pile of system overhead to get chewed up and slow everything down.

Avatars are bad news and I refuse to implement them on a couple of board I manage to help keep costs down.

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    No to avatars! It's an administrative and system nightmare. Think back to the events of the last 6 mos and then add in the need to police avatar's. NO, hell NO even.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2008
    No, I get it, I just disagree.

Head-fi uses avatars and has way more users than Club Polk. Its also an enthusiast run/owned board. Its fast enough for me.

Heck, I'd be happy enough if all we could choose from is a library of images of Polk speakers.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    63l1edu.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    I want Polk to come up with an avatar that smells like biscuits and gravy.

I want what I want.

And I want it now !!

:eek:
    Sal Palooza
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    meh. Waste of badnwidth IMHO, but I seem to be in the minority.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited March 2008
    I voted ...."why not" until I read about the degredation of the sight due to bandwidth corruption. I change my vote to no.
    Like most of you I belong to several other sights that allow avatars and have a lot of advertising....they have become incredibly slow.
    I do enjoy being able to catch up here and move on after 10 minutes or so. I can come back in a few hours and catch up again.........I prefer the way it works now.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2008
    I was just thinking about that today! I found a funny picture, and said, "Hey, this would be great for my CP profile! Oh, wait; never mind..."
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited March 2008
    Hey, we got the i-Trader feedback system not too long ago ... that was MORE than enough for me. Feedback on transactions from the FM is a million times more useful and more valuable than some silly avatars.

Dare I say it ... but if you really want avatars, why not start up your own forum and go crazy with as many friggin avatars as you want? That will allow the folks at Polk Audio to spend their time and energy to focus on what really matters ... speakers! *gasp from the crowd*
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2008
    Set the default option for everyone's profile to avatars disabled. That was the estimated number of people viewing them would be much lower than the projected 95%.

If Polk was so concerned about bandwidth, they could disable posting pictures.
  • danger boy
    edited March 2008
    first it's avatars, then people will want new smileys.... will it ever stop?

Death to avatars!

Have a nice day! :)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    I just want avatars so I can put up my picture of Kate.

121wys5.jpg

Mmmmmmm. Kate. This has been my avatar for a long time on other forums. Call me crazy but I just never get tired of seeing her in a hot, tight, leather, vampire outfit!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    For what it's worth, I would appreciate if an avitar were an option here at CP.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    I like avatars. In leau of that, I'd take html signatures :D
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2008
    Refefer wrote: »
    I like avatars. In leau of that, I'd take html signatures :D

+1...
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    IMO, HTML sigs clutter things up.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    edited March 2008
    I want a pony

:rolleyes: