Another pair of GFA-565's go under the gun

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I am working on a pair of GFA-565's for a Polkie. This one is the worst case I have seen yet. The Caps are so bad that a couple of the legs have disintegrated. Well I have the input boards removed, and the gun hot. Time to get busy.
Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Well I am working on a pair of GFA-565's for a Polkie. This one is the worst case I have seen yet. The Caps are so bad that a couple of the legs have disintegrated. Well I have the input boards removed, and the gun hot. Time to get busy.
    Ben

Dammit!!! We want pics.................we want pics.

Hey Ben we need pics :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Those 565's have gotta belong to someone who lives west of Atlanta. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    OK, and yep yep yep.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    OK where you see bad cap that is where the cap was. Notice the stains. Where you see good cap someone had replaced them, and not the others:confused: Where you see Servo IC that is where the DC offset opamp is located. It is too close to the nasty cap so I just replace the unit anyways because they are cheap, and this is what regulates DC offset. Good caps will be replaced too, and I had also removed the bias trim pot for the ultra sonic cleaning process. They don't like to get wet;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Dammit!!! We want pics.................we want pics.
    Hey Ben we need pics :D

That's right. No pics, then it didn't happen.

Oh...sorry man , you got pics. I guess it DID happen. :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Are these the models that had the wrong voltage caps installed?
    Since it uses a DC servo I guess they were able to eliminate an input coupling cap?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Are these the models that had the wrong voltage caps installed?
    Since it uses a DC servo I guess they were able to eliminate an input coupling cap?

What happened with these amps is unfortunately Elna had a bad run on caps that failed over time and leaked all over the input boards. I think that you are correct that these are direct coupled amps;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Cleaned, and ready for re-population. The US cleaner, and simple green goes a long way;) Compare to earlier pic of board:eek:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ReCapped, and trim pot reinstalled. I need the OpAmp though. I wish you could just run to the store for these.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2008
    Options
    what would happen if you replaced the wires inside with silver wire?

Just curious...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    One mod some guys do is to replace the bars with wire. I have not tried it yet, but there is supposed to be a decent difference. Its kinda like doing away with the jumpers, and using wire on bi ampable speakers.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Could you show us 565 owners where to solder on 12uF caps onto the main caps for that other mod you suggested.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Where do the tubes go?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    Could you show us 565 owners where to solder on 12uF caps onto the main caps for that other mod you suggested.

Non polars right across the top of the main caps;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Where do the tubes go?

In my pre:)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2008
    Options
    man I leave for vacation and my amps are ripped open, cleaned and repaired, good deal.

Ben, let me know what op amps to get and I will get them going.

Thanks for the work, looks great so far.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ben62670
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I'll get that list to you soon.
    Its looking pretty good. This was the bad one;)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well I finished the bad one. Took a little hunting. There was an open resistor on the board(r135 83r 1/4w fusible). It was only pushing, and not pulling. It was very distorted. Now it is beautiful, and DC offset is <10mv :) This is great news. These thing are a **** to fix!
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Here goes number two. I have it all apart. This one is a mess too. Looks like they let a kid do the soldering on this one. I can't believe they went through the trouble of replacing the caps, but did not clean it. This one is just under 1vdc DC offset. They stuck a big ugly 1/2 watt resistor in the signal path where a 1/4w resistor is supposed to go. Time for the board to take a bath in some simple green in the ultra sonic cleaner.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Second one done. All new caps like the other. DC offset less than 4mv right out the bath:D I am very pleased. These things are at new specs, and good for a long time to come. I don't want to give these back. They run better than mine:mad:
    HEY RUSS I'M DONE!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Great job Ben.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I too like your work Ben.
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I am very pleased with the outcome. I am going to have to do mine. I have one that isn't behaving very nicely. One gets a DC offset that swings up to 8vdc:eek: Not good for speakers at all:(
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well I finally got tired of looking at my GFA-565's. It was their turn today:) Both are running to the same specs as Russ's:D I am very pleased:D:D. I can now run 4 565's, and a 585 on my big speakers. It'll be interesting:D:D:D
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ya know what I like most about the amps I have repaired. Most of them you can tell someone else was in there trying to fix them. Even funnier is the repair shops that have put their name on the shoddy work they have performed:p
    Thanks
    Ben