Report On My Ported DX12-4 Subs Death......

2»

Comments

• only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited August 2008
    Still alive even after the DB Drags....

Won first place in Street Max division
  • only126db
    edited October 2008
    Well just to let the fella's know my old Polk Dx 12's are still kickin, and are now being fed 2000rms still in the ported enclosures.

However I have developed a problem which is going to require removal of my enclosure to fix......

Oh, no it's not my Polks destroying themselves like people have said would happen, it's my poor truck, I believe I have some body welds that have been destroyed.....

I am actually surprised my subs are taking the abuse, and no I am not running the full 2000 rms to the subs, they could handle it for short periods, but I like to listen to music and the 2000 watts overpowers my front stage which is @ 0nly 600rms.

I am running close though, 2v outputs split between two amps, gain @ 50% (.2v-9v) volume set @ 30 of 35, bass -3, bass boost @ 2%.

Just keeping my fans informed of the situation.
  • only126db
    edited October 2008
    The orange is for a single 12" DX as in my setup(four seperate chambers)

The green is Polks recommended sealed enclosure....

My subsonic is set to 30hz, my LP is at 100hz, enclosures tuned to 32hz.
    PolkDx12-4Compare.jpg
  • only126db
    edited November 2008
  • only126db
    edited December 2008
    Just to keep the few of you in the loop that really got mad about my setup and claiming the subs would tear themselves apart and sound like crap.

They are still working just fine, still powered by the BXI2006D still in ported boxes and still sounding great.

The only issue I do have is bass production at full volume below 28hz....(subsonic filter):p

I have been complimented by many people on the setup, and not people with crap installs or crap equipment.

I've even pulled in some business from some people running McIntosh, Focal, Zapco, and Helix equipment.

I'm actually redoing a guys setup that will consist of McIntosh, PPI(old skool), Zapco, Focal, Alumapro and Eclipse.

Will be doing another setup that consists of Butler, Zapco, PPI(old Skool) and Focal equipment.

All due to how well my setup sucks and is falling apart...:D

P.S. the above graphs are incorrect, I went to 3" ports now.

I have better low end extension due to less portcompression and less port noise.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    We should put this thread to good use since its just taking up server space right now. Lets post videos of REAL sub output. Plus we can piss off all the home audio snobs! :D

Here's a nice little diddy that shows what a "proper" SPL setup is capable of along with my favorite SPL subs - Orion H2's. I mean a vibrating gear shifter is cool and all but......

Another good one from what looks like a death match at a local SPL competition.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • only126db
    edited December 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    We should put this thread to good use since its just taking up server space right now. Lets post videos of REAL sub output. Plus we can piss off all the home audio snobs! :D

Here's a nice little diddy that shows what a "proper" SPL setup is capable of along with my favorite SPL subs - Orion H2's. I mean a vibrating gear shifter is cool and all but......

Another good one from what looks like a death match at a local SPL competition.

Well my setup is loud but far from an spl setup, I will be installing an MTube8 today to give me a little more control and hopefully a better s/n ratio.

I will also be tightening up alot of stuff since mosty of my dash screws were less than finger tight and I had to bolt my wing windows back on the other day.

I'm feeling the need for some sound deadener, I have to push on my roof to stop my brace from rattling.

I also have some Focal tweets to switch out to, however the crossovers are going to cost about $120 to build (18db w/ 1% parts).

P.S. I couldn't open the links you posted.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2008
    broken links mac. thats very 2nd place of u
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    Good grief. It put a double http in there and because of that idiotic no editing rule I cant go back and fix it so here they are.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Orion/h212.1.wmv
    http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Orion/hcca.1.wmv
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • only126db
    edited December 2008
    Well here is the install of the MTube8....

I notice a tiny bit of difference only in my highs, they seem a little more controled and subdued, my midrange and bass seems uneffected, however the main reason for the install was subwoofer level control so for that it seems to work wonderfully.

And Mac I cant open those links either...

100_2138copycopycopy.jpg
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    flatbox5 SPAM reported

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • only126db
    edited December 2008
  • only126db
    edited January 2009
    only126db wrote: »
    They are still alive and kicking:D

Just thought the non believers would like to know....

I will report back every once and awhile to keep you up on their life span...:D

The birth of the ported DX's came about on approximately 5/16/08 .....:p

They are still alive, however my truck is getting killed.

th_Flex1.jpg
  • only126db
    edited March 2009
    Well I'm pretty sure after all this time it is confirmed, the Polk DX 12's will work in ported enclosures without damage to the drivers and will do it well.

I have had nothing but compliments on the quality of my bass and the quantity of output from these drivers.

So anyone out there who doubted the ability of these drivers to withstand use in ported enclosures would you like to recant your previous statements ?

I play these things hard 24/7 my gains are @ 60%, my volume @ 30 of 35 w/2 volt rms rca outputs.

So anyone want to appologize for their ignorant remarks ????
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited March 2009
    only126db wrote: »

I play these things hard 24/7 my gains are @ 60%, my volume @ 30 of 35 w/2 volt rms rca outputs.

S...

Dang 24/7? Neighbors must really hate you. Esp at probably 3 in the morning ;):p

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • only126db
    edited March 2009
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Dang 24/7? Neighbors must really hate you. Esp at probably 3 in the morning ;):p

My neighbors love me, I'm the only one around who has tools and a tiny bit of ability.... :p

They always come over to see what my next project is...

Just finished this but my amp that I though I had fixed is not fixed and my pos deck that came with the car wont read cd's and has worse SQ from the rca's then from the built in amp(it seems like, or just amplified crap=loud crap)

100_2424.jpg
  • only126db
    edited April 2009
    Well I switched out the head unit in the wifes Mustang (see my last post) to a Clarion and solved the issue, my amp is still good, it was bad head unit rca outputs.

Also it's been awhile since I posted anything about my Polk DX 12's so here ya go, this vid was to get a free t-shirt so I figured I'd let you guys know my DX's are still kickin.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ-qPyyV1zM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ-qPyyV1zM&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>