SignalCable number 2 or Monster M550i

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
ok, I promise this would be the last question for the year...:rolleyes:

I know that SignalCable #2 has the positive feedback and also M550i being the "best buy" for the money. I have 3 sets of M550i and about to purchase another 6 sets for Multichannels hookup. But, before I finalise the transaction, I like to ask your opinion (i.e. Russ, Troy, Ron, Dan, I believe you guys have significant exposures to both)

I might even try Frank Dai's power cord......

Happy New Year guys!!!!
And many thanks for your support
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'm dully impressed with Frank's cables. (for my ears) I would put them up against damn near ANY cable up to the $150-200/pair price point.

Frank does offer a small Club-Polk discount, and a 30-day money back guarantee, so give em a listen at least.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    , the 15ft Monster z2 bires are just way too much for this room.....

Out of curiosity, what do you mean?

I'm hoping to have better experience with SignalCable ICs in February. 'Til then I can't say.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • polkatese
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Russ, have you try his speaker cable? thanks for your input and vote....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Makes sense to me now. We all know, the shorter the better. Especially at a 4 Ohm current draw. Then again, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between an 8' set and a 15' set of the Z2. Then yet again, maybe you could.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    I never tried out the signal cales.I can tell you however I think your under shooting your Monster purchase for the type of system you own.
    For innerconnects you should be looking at Monster M950i's and Monster M1.4s bi wires for speaker wire.I feel this is the level of cable that matches your system.Video I would go into M1000.Pioneer Elite TV's will show off all of your video flaws.And so off all the beauty as well.
    If you get Franks cables,let me know how they sound.Russ speakes very highly of them.I should have picked up a couple pairs for a wire shootout awhile back.I never got around to it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    good morning! no hang over?? Anywhoo, you're right, I might undershooting my Monster purchase. But there is method to my madness. I have decided to do it in step, since IC ARE expensive investment. All my video signals are now M1000 component cables (and yes, I can tell the difference). I also utilise the Toslink and Coax for DTS/DD from the Denon 3800 and Elite DV-37. However, I am going to go slow on the SACD/DVDA path for audio IC from the 3800 and Philips SACD-1000. I checked around the M1000i, and the best price I can get is about $129/pair. Since I need 9 sets of them (to go through the TA-P9000ES preamp for 5.1 Multi before it goes to the RSX-1065), I will use the SignalCable #2 or MC m550i (which I think did a decent job, not spectacular, but for $37.50 per pair, I can swing 9 sets of them without breaking the bank). Later, I will continue upgrading the cable with the M1000 equivalent as I stumble into those thru ebay/audiogon. Also, I am now getting excited about trying the power cord too....I am still waiting feedback from others in this forum on the merit of SignalCable, so far, only one negative feedback on this over at Hi Rez asylum forum. Now, if you could get me an unbelievable deals on MC for the m1000i, I might reconsider my approach....
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    happy new year......just curious, how much did you get your Z2 for? do you like it? Also, I wonder, is the spade on the Z2 fits the LSi9 binding post? I have the standard size spade that I ended up having to use it thru the hole rather than around the post. It does have a decent grip to the post, but is not exactly lay flat on the surface of the hole since, obviously, it is a round hole......

Russ, what kind of discount can I expect from Frank? 5/10/15 %?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I think it was 5%, he doesn't pack much 'profit' into his cables, yet.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks, bud! I thought you would still be in bed after the big rahhhhh this morning.......
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Russ,
    one more thing, here is a quote from somebody on Hi Rez asylum forum commenting on Frank's SignalCable. Since I really can't comment on the merit of this guy's cable knowledge, what is your take? I noticed that Belden 89259 has been mentioned in several different threads, sounds like it's a keeper...
    Problem I have with Signalcable is he sells mediocre cables (Canare) and hype them as audio/videophile products.
    His speaker cables are Canare 4S8.
    His analog audio cables are Canare GS6. Easily bettered by belden 89259. I replaced this cable a long time ago. Found it a poor choice for a subwoofer cable as well.The basic Monster sub cable sounded a lot better with my sub. Since replaced by Belden 89259.
    His digital cables look like Canare LV series.Stranded? Yuk!Easily bettered by belden 1505/1695a
    His video cables look like Canare L-5cfb series which is okay but bettered by Belden 1694a/1695 etc..

as always, thanks...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Can't really comment, other than it looks like this guy doesn't like Canare cable, and really does like Belden.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The intrest I have in Franks cables isn't much.The price he sells them at is appealing, but where does he get the cables???bulk somewhere and puts the ends on I guess.
    Unless he is manufactoring them in his warehouse basement.

OK who knows the inside scoop.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    sounds like a plan.No hang over today,I didn't drink my face off last night,just a couple here and there.........sorry bud....I can't get anyone unbelieveable deals..unless you live close by.Then we ca get you into the freind discount.It isn't much but it's nice nonetheless.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    thanks for the nice gesture, I can get M1000i 0.5 meter for $112/ 1 meter for $149 which I think are pretty good deal. I'll wait on this one though....
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thats a great deal man........one at a time if need be.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ron-P,
    Need your advice since you are a convert SignalCable owner, previously a MonsterCable guy:

- Do you own/try SignalCable Analog 2? if so, did you have Monster IC? which one?
    - What did you notice the most when you switch them (strictly on SignalCable IC)?

Thanks a bunch for your response....fh
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    quick update on Signal Cable analog two. I bought several pairs of analog two and received them a couple days ago. I replaced Monster M500 with analog two. Not having spend anytime doing the listening test, off the bat, I noticed a more detailed and wider sound stage (slightly). I am happy that either way, I don't think I can go wrong with analog two and the price is right. I actually interested to compare this IC with Monster M1000. I bet it will compare favorably for a fraction of the cost.....imo
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    One more thing, the build quality of analog two is excellent. It is very professionally done, and Belden 89259 cable do get a lot of praise and rave review on HiRez forum. I think in a few years, giving this IC a nice packaging and marketing, it can end up on the shelves at Good Guys or Tweeter. Of course, it will be priced significantly more....hmm. should go into business with Frank may be...
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    next time when you do IC cable shootout, please consider signalcable analog two....I am interested to hear your opinion, even compared to your transparent. I definitely impressed with my initial audition of the cable (right now, too early to conclusively say anything beyond first impression), take aside the price point, I still think that it is a solid IC, worthy of serious consideration...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I've telling people over and over, they are worth a listen, period. Even the Analog One.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    :) Russ, should go into business with Frank, package these cables attractively like monster, and voila, you have a $250 IC...:lol:
  • polkatese
    edited January 2003
    Options
    oh, one more thing, need to name the cable volei vouz, or something fancy like that to attract the ' high-end' crowd......
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I see what you are saying, but I kinda like it being one of the 'best kept secrets' in interconns.

Dan, the wire (conductor) is bought in bulk, just like other, larger companies, but the difference is they are carefully hand-terminated, using the best components for the money, and 'made to order'. Custom lengths, attention to detail.

Why are they priced so 'cheap'? No huge production line, no employees, no expensive machinery, no marketing budget, no fancy packaging, and no middle man.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • gidrah
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I would be surprised if Monster made their own cable components.

Polkatese - I'm glad to hear it as I'm kinda expecting some Signal cables pretty soon.