Surround Sound while watching TV?

Would appreciate if anyone can provide some help. I just hooked up an RM6700 series speakers with PSW303 Sub. Sounds great while listening to dvds and the radio but how to I hook up the television to the receiver so I can hear the audio through the surround sound speakers?

Thanks!
Post edited by ClintMWilliams on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    If you have a TV newer than 10 years old you should have an audio output on the back. Most likely it is two RCA jacks (left and right).

Use some RCA cables, run them from your TV to the auxilary or "Video 1" Video2" or whatever input on your receiver. Then select the DSP (digital signal processing mode) on your receiver that you want to use. Thats about it.

If you have digital cable or DSS, then you might have an optical/coax digital output on your converter box. If that is the case, just run that to your receiver. Some cable/dss companies broadcast some channels in DTS/DD.

Make sense?
  • ClintMWilliams
    ClintMWilliams Posts: 4
    edited December 2002
    Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help! Obviously I still have a lot to learn.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    Clint, welcome!
    For local TV channels that are not on satellite. my receiver defaults to dolby pro logic... it uses the rear surrounds and the sub. it makes sports sound great. doesn't do much for things like comedys, and other programs that are mostly dialog.
    phuz is correct though, hook up the left and right outputs from your TV to the in's on your receiver. it may also work from your VCR
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ClintMWilliams
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for the advice. Works great now....

I have another question for you guys. I hooked up the VCR to the Onkyo 600 receiver. I have audio through the speakers when I play a tape but no video on the tv. I currently have both audio outs and video out going from vcr output to receiver input. I also have video and audio outs from receiver going into VCR inputs. Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Appreciate the help.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Unless your receiver does video switching, then you should hook your VCRs video output directly to your TV.
    In this case, there is no need to hook the VCR up to the receiver since your TV audio outputs will already be hooked up to the receiver.

If your receiver does video switching, then the video out from the receiver needs to go to the TVs auxillary input.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited January 2003
    Correct,
    what you send out from your VCR needs to reach the TV.So if your VCR is S-video or composite,and the Onkyo has the ability to SWITCH it,you need to have the same video feed going to the tv from MONITOR out of the receiver.

example:
    vcr out is rca audio(red and white)and composite(yellow) to the Onkyo's vcr in or video in red,whit,yellow.Now in order to see it,there is a composite(yellow)Monitor out.That need to go to the tv's composit video in(yellow).What I like to do is run all composite video feeds to the receiver,then composite video out to the tv's video 1 or input 1 composite only in,no audio.
    If you wanna use the spekaers in the tv for vcr sound,just run a coax run to the tuner in on the tv.Channel 3 or 4 allday.Most vcr's only have 1 audio and video out.So this allows 2 hookups at the same time.Another benefit from this setup is if you have a cable feed and no cablebox,now you have audio and video going to the tv and the reciever.Cable sound using the vcr's tuner,for some surround.Tv you can still use the speakers in it for those late night news programs,talk shows,wife or kids tapes.....get my idea?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ClintMWilliams
    edited January 2003
    Thanks guys! Totally makes sense now. I really appreciate the help.