phasing of psw650

Options
bounty5
bounty5 Posts: 20
while surfing through the polk website a while back, I came across two items regarding subwoofers that I was unaware of. The first involved the phasing of the sub. In my application,the sub is located behind my listening position diagonnaly from my mains and tv. I have pored over the sub manual and have not come across any note regarding the phase. Is this simply a "by ear" adjustment? or is there some determinate rule to this? i have read here on the post that subs should be set to "0" if along the same wall as main speakers. Any thoughts regarding this?
Also, would using a stand for a sub (PW650) net me anything? I asked Polk directly, and they stated that they did not carry it.
Post edited by bounty5 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    On your sub, it's either 0 or 180. Some subs have infinitely variable phase.

Rule of thumb - same wall as mains - 0 degrees; opposite wall of mains - 180 degrees.

Try both ways - one should give you noticeably better bass response/strength than the other. If you can't tell by ear, use a SPL meter - it might be able to show a difference you can't hear.

I don't see much of a need for a stand - it's designed to be a floor sitting unit.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Rule of thumb - same wall as mains - 0 degrees; opposite wall of mains - 180 degrees.
    Dr. Spec bringing the knowledge.
    Also try to put the puppy in a corner - get a good spl boost.
    Corner loading - square up in a corner about 4 to 6 inches on each side.