Capacitor Review - Audio Circle - Link

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited June 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=54218.0

Here's a more recent review of some capacitors, just in case you Sonicap disciples didn't know they made others. It's just an opinion but worth the time to read, think and then come back here and complain about what you don't like about it.

Happy Listening!
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Though synergy can be a **** with different equipment
    (tubes/ss) and wires. It does give a feel for the characteristics of different caps in the higher end. I am stuck playing with the cheaper caps do to funds, but it would be nice to try a nice main cap in the tweeter XO(usually the 12-16uf cap in vintage Polk's).
    Thanks
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    It's a fun way to get into the guts of what you love and it doesn't have to be expensive. Rock on Ben!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks Mark. I'll put that info to good use.

I was already planning to roll some different caps into my 1.2TL's as a summer project...you know...just for fun.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Here's a more comprehensive cap review.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Enjoy!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    That guy had more money to spend, that's about it. It's a great link to have handy tho' as their are some similiarities in the reviews.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I think there's more to it than how much money he has to spend. He's been doing it since 2002 and his finding are well respected in the DIY community. The fact that there are similiarities certainly adds validity to his findings.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Since 2002? *giggle*
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think there's more to it than how much money he has to spend. He's been doing it since 2002 and his finding are well respected in the DIY community. The fact that there are similiarities certainly adds validity to his findings.

Good for him, hopefully he'll get an extra milk at lunch tomorrow.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    C is for cookie
    C is for cookie
    C is for cookie

Milk and cookies with lunch.....yum.

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Hey, I have milk and cookies almost every day. Right after that, it's nappy time.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    If you check out the link, they give some love to Jeff Glowacki, in case you students felt left out. Don't worry, Sonic craft is still top dog but it's worth the read...and current.

Feel free to join up and offer your own comments.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Here's another, http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html

Who the F are you calling students?

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    You, for example.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    In your dreams and only in your dreams.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Ok...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Jesse's hair has it's own capacitance. You don't even need to upgrade or change your caps in your speakers or amps/preamps whathaveyou - just get Jesse in the room and you will be transported down the rabbit hole.

I call it the Jesus Cap, the Holy Grail. Tweak complete.

Cheers,
    Russ

edit - Jesse, sell me a lock or two, I want to make a brylcreme and hair of the rodent cap for Polkies.... Thoughts?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Jesse, get in contact with Machina Dynamica. I bet those guys are capable to sell your.....tweak.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Dude, it's my idea, I posted it here, time and date stamped.

Get ready for hairoftherodentcaps.com and prepare to change your undercrackers.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Sorry Russ, I've already patented the idea and have been selling it for years. I give your barber 10% plus the cost of shipping your locks.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    End that auction now, that's a deal!
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2008
    Options
    http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=54218.msg494138#msg494138

This is an ongoing, active thread, feel free to join and add your experiences with any xover upgrades. It's all about information...get your groove on.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Uggh. Audiocircle. Certainly isn't anything like here, those guys talk about audio all day long.....:rolleyes:
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2008
    Options
    You can't buy head coolers, $6K watches or wax poetically about an SDA over there...so that might turn some ppl off I guess.