A Review Of Four Digital Stylus Pressure Gauges

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited March 2010 in Electronics
Introduction

The "industry standard" for stylus pressure gauges is the Winds ALM-01 Arm Load Meter, which costs $800 (accuracy +/- 0.02 gram). Non-hardcore vinylphiles, such as myself, typically balk at phono measurement and setup devices in this price range.

This review evaluates stylus pressure gauges from Expressimo Audio, Steve Blinn Designs, ShenZhen, and my own home brew (HB1) stylus pressure gauge. The Expressimo, Blinn, and HB1 gauges measure the stylus pressure at the approximate height of a record. This is important because stylus pressure will vary depending on the height of the stylus/tonearm.

ShenZhen CR-B5

CR-B5001-6x4.jpg
Figure 1. The CR-B5 never measured the 5 gram weight at 5 grams.

The ShenZhen CR-B5, like the other "stylus gauges" reviewed here, was not designed by its manufacturer (ShenZhen CanRong Mechatronic Co. LTD) for audio applications. It has been adopted for use as a stylus pressure gauge by various companies (eg. Roksan, Acoustech, Project, etc.) and ranges in price from $59 to $150. Note: The "Tare" weighting option is a dead giveaway that this scale was re-purposed. Tare weight is the weight of an empty container or cargo vehicle. The CR-B5 gauge, under various names, is regularly offered on Audiogon.com. The CR-B5 has an accuracy of +/- 0.01 gram. When the CR-B5 is offered as a stylus force gauge, it is usually shown with an MSRP of $200.

CR-B5002-6x4.jpg
Figure 2. The lighted display was the only thing I liked about the CR-B5.

As shown in figures 1 and 2, the CR-B5 did not provide consistent weight measurements. It also needed frequent recalibration with the supplied 5 gram weight. I was surprised that when calibrating the scale with the 5 gram weight, the scale display would read exactly 5 grams. Immediately after the calibration, the scale would measure the 5 gram weight a little less than 5 grams.

CR-B5003-6x4.jpg
Figure 3. The CR-B5 read 2.456 grams, but the stylus force was actually 2.3 grams.

Ortofon recommends a stylus pressure of 2.3 grams for the Jubilee cartridge. I took five successive stylus force measurements of my Ortofon Jubilee cartridge which was mounted on a Graham Phantom tonearm. The results were as follows:

2.456 grams,
2.250 grams,
2.274 grams,
2.246 grams,
2.262 grams.

I did not like the CR-B5 scale.

CR-B5007-6x4.jpg
Figure 4. Somewhat finicky: The CR-B5 displayed "UNST" (unstable surface) fairly often just after being turned on. I guess it wasn't too fond of my turntable's acrylic platter.

Expressimo Audio

The Expressimo Audio stylus force gauge is a modified Micro-Tech XMT-300 scale. Expressimo Audio adds a machined aluminum shelf for the cartridge stylus to rest on. The Expressimo/XMT-300 is accurate to 0.1 gram and has an MSRP of $160. It is typically sold for $99. The Micro-Tech XMT-300, prior to being discontinued, sold in the range of $25 to $30.

microtech002-6x4.jpg
Figure 5. The Expressimo Audio gauge features a machined aluminum stylus rest.

The Expressimo gauge measured a consistent 2.3 grams from measurement to measurement and from day to day. I did not like the silver case, which was highly susceptible to scratches. In fact, I ordered a model with black case, but received a silver case that came with a lot of surface scratches. The vendor went through their stock to find a black one, but all they had were sold out of the black scales. I subsequently found out that Micro-Tech had discontinued the XMT-300. The other thing I did not like about the Expressimo gauge was the slippery surface of the highly polished aluminum shelf. The anti skate mechanism of my tonearm would cause the stylus to slip off the shelf. Laying down a little square of electrical tape tamed the slippery shelf (figure 6). The Expressimo scale was returned to the vendor due to the unappealing case color.

microtech003-6x4.jpg
Figure 6. A bit of electrical tape kept the stylus in place.

microtech001-6x4.jpg
Figure 7. The Expressimo Audio gauge was accurate with repeatable measurements.

microtech004-6x4.jpg
Figure 8. The Expressimo Audio gauge consistently measured the 5 gram
calibration weight at exactly 5 grams.

Steve Blinn Designs

The Blinn scale is a modified version of the Jennings Mini 300. Blinn adds a plastic stylus shelf with a small dimple for the stylus to rest in. No slippage here. Jennings markets the Mini 300 as a jewelry scale. It has an accuracy of 0.1 gram. The MSRP of the Blinn scale is $159. It is offered on Audiogon for $89 shipped. The stock Jennings Mini 300 sells for an average of $25 plus shipping.

blinn-js-shelf-6x4.jpg
Figure 9. SB Designs digital stylus gauge.

Although the Jennings Mini 300 and the Micro-Tech XMT-300 are very similar in appearance, specs and function, there is apparently some internal difference since the Jennings scale operates on three LR44 batteries and the Micro-Tech scale operates on two LR44 batteries.

blinn-jubilee-6x4.jpg
Figure 10. The Blinn scale provided accurate and consistent measurements.

The Blinn scale measured the Jubilee/Phantom stylus pressure consistently at 2.3 grams. The 5 gram calibration weight was also measured at a consistent 5 grams.

The only thing I did not like about the Blinn scale was that the instruction manual, which is the instruction manual for the Jennings Mini 300, states that a 100 gram weight is required for calibration. I think that should have been mentioned in Blinn's ad and offered to the customer as an extra cost option.

The Blinn scale was my favorite.

"Home Brew" HB1 Scale

I ordered a Jennings Mini 300 scale from oldwillknottscales.com at a cost of $32.21 ($21.50 for the scale, $3.90 for a 100 gram calibration weight, and $6.81 for shipping). A stylus shelf was made from two small rectangles cut from 1/16th inch thick plastic sheet. The plastic shelf pieces were glued to each other and to the Mini 300 with Loctite Super Glue. A box cutter was used to scratch a few grooves in the middle of the shelf to hold the stylus tip firmly in place. I thought about drilling a little dimple in the shelf, but making a few quick scratches was much easier than setting that tiny shelf in a vise and setting up my drill. Sometimes I'm lazy.:)

homebrew-js-shelf-6x4.jpg
Figure 11. My own HB1 digital stylus force gauge.

homebrew-5g-6x4.jpg
Figure 12. The HB1 scale measured the 5 gram calibration weight
at exactly 5 grams.

homebrew-jubilee-6x4.jpg
Figure 13. The HB1 scale measured the stylus pressure
at a consistent 2.3 grams.

homebrew-blinn-6x4.jpg
Figure 14. Bottoms up. The HB1 on left and Blinn scale on right.

Jennings-case-mod-6x4.jpg
Figure 15. Case modification for HB1 scale.

The HB1 scale, like the Blinn scale, required a modification of the stock Jennings hard plastic case in order to accommodate the stylus shelf. Some of the internal bracing needed to be trimmed out. I appreciated the Jennings scale protective plastic case. The Expressimo scale came in a cardboard box.

I kept the Blinn scale and put my HB1 in storage as a backup. The Blinn scale was more aesthetically pleasing.:)
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited April 2008
    Great review.

Thanks,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2008
    Love the modified scale!
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited April 2008
    This is important because stylus pressure will vary depending on the height of the stylus/tonearm.

The Phantom tonearm has a neutral balance. It uses the side magnet to provide stability. The tracking force is not affected by the horizontal angle of the tonearm and will remain the same regardless of the tonearm pivot height. If you set the tonearm to have zero tracking force, the tonearm will remain at the same position once released.

Your statement is true for my VPI tonearm and others of similar design. It is weighted below the pivot point to provide stability. When the pivot point is changed (raised or lowered), the tracking force changes as well. If the VPI tonearm were set to have zero tracking force, the tonearm will always return to the horizontal position once released.

Thanks for the info on the scales.
    2.456 grams,
    2.250 grams,
    2.274 grams,
    2.246 grams,
    2.262 grams.

I did not like the CR-B5 scale.

Throwing out the first measurement,

2.250 would round to 2.3
    2.274 would round to 2.3
    2.246 would round to 2.2
    2.262 would round to 2.3

I have this scale and find it to be dependent on having the stylus in the center of the dot. For good or bad, you need to use the same exact spot to get the same measurements. I find it annoying, but work around this quirk.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited April 2008
    Nice review. Your excellent work has helped me in my next purchase (why is it always the "next" purchase?)
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    edited March 2010
    I bought one used to weigh pinewood derby cars it works perfect. Has a stainless steel scale platform and digital readout. Price was about 25.00
  • Carmelo1
    Carmelo1 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    it is awesome... Really thanks...
    CARMELO
  • jeamz.zeez
    jeamz.zeez Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    coool one dude
    i have many of those
    diffrent prices + qualities
    jeamz