LSi cracked back plate, mismatched serial numbers, & LSiC questions

bertram
bertram Posts: 53
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
Hi all,

Just got my new LSi15s, LSi9s, and an LSiC.

I noticed that on one of the LSi9s' back plates (the black plastic thingy with 4 support posts connecting it to the speaker body) there are 2 cracks around the base of the posts. It looks like the kind of thing that might happen if the speaker was dropped on the corner of the plate. The speaker works fine and has no other cosmetic damage, so is this something that's come up before in anyone's experience? Could it be a manufacturing defect?

Also, the serial numbers for the left and right LSi15s are 00915 and 01328, which seem far apart, especially compared to the LSi9s' numbers which are the same for the pair. Any comments?

Finally, I have just read about the LSiC's crossover problem. Can the speaker's serial number establish whether the older or newer crossover is being used?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
Denon 3803 AVR (pre/pro duty)
Outlaw 755 amp
Outlaw ICBM
Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 (front/center/surround)
SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Outlaw 7100 amp
Panasonic TH-37PX50U plasma
Polk RTi8/CSi5/RTi6/FXi5(front/center/surround/back)
SVS PCU
Post edited by bertram on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2002
    Where did you get your speakers from? Could be "B" stock or a return.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bertram
    edited December 2002
    I got the speakers from Crutchfield. I actually got 2 pairs of LSi9s in the same order, with closely spaced serial numbers, so I don't think they're B stock or returns, but who knows.
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    SVS PCU
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Bertram, I highly doubt that you got b-stock or returns from Crutchfield. I don't think the crack is a big problem, but if I were you I'd contact Polk customer service and see what can be done.

The LSiC problem has only effected a few units. Put yours through a thorough test and if there is a problem, Polk will take good care of you with the quickness.

I have had my LSiC for months and I haven't had any problems.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums! :)
  • bertram
    edited December 2002
    Thanks, phuz. One reason I paid Crutchfield the big bucks is for peace of mind about the merchandise(!)--too bad I noticed the cracked plate on the LSi9 AFTER I threw the boxes/packing material out!

I noticed in your "My Setup" link you mention you have the LSi15s. Could you tell me if the serial numbers for the left and right units are the same (or at least close) or not? Thanks.

Regarding the LSiC "problem," I'm not even sure what that's all about yet--I just happened to stumble across a few references to it as I was scanning through the forum right after joining.
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    SVS PCU
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited December 2002
    Never, ever throw away the boxes!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Anytime bertram.

Good move going with crutchfield. F1nut has a good point about the boxes! heh Anyway, I think you may need a whole new enclosure. I don't think there is a way to remove the cracked power port attachment and replace it.

Whatever it is that you need I'm pretty sure that either Polk or Crutchfield will take care of you. Just explain the problem and they'll ship the parts (or a replacement speaker) right out, then you can use that shipping box to return the cracked parts or speaker.

None of the serial numbers on my speakers are really close. They are all at least 150 numbers (units) apart, and I'm not worried about it.

The LSiC problem is rare, and it's just a slight shielding issue. Put your LSiC on top of a tube TV, and put it through some thorough testing. If your TV distorts any then you might need a new crossover. If thats the case Polk will take care of ya quickly and painlessly.

Oh yeah, if you do have a problem with it make sure to remove the speaker from the top of the TV immidiately! ;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2002
    Phuz is right. I know from first hand experience that both Polk and Crutchfield are excellent when it comes to customer service and standing behind their product. Whatever it takes to fix the problem one (or both) of them will work to make it right.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bertram
    edited December 2002
    Thanks phuz and shack-I called Crutchfield and before I could open my mouth to complain they told me they'd have a new pair of LSi9s in the mail tomorrow. Wow.

I haven't noticed a problem with the LSiC and my TV yet but since I'm planning on upgrading the latter I think I might as well get the improved crossover just in case. First I'll have to figure out how to check which one's in there now.
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    SVS PCU
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Well, make sure you have the problem with the TV before getting the new crossover. It doesn't make any difference to the sound of the LSiC, only if you are getting a slight distortion when playing at louder volumes.

Gotta make sure Polk keeps costs down so we can all benefit :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200