Car oxidization problem

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Well so much for for the olive branch and trying to be civil.

Have a nice day!

Olive branch? Heh. Yeah, sure. Olive branch, wrapped in thorns more like it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    jflail2 wrote: »
    What else can you do....

It's been an interesting read anyway.

How about what they told us to do in the 3rd grade? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

You wouldn't need to offer "olive branches" then. Usually I try to be a better person and offer the help anyway to someone who decides to deride me in one way or another. I mean Jesus said if your enemy strikes you on your cheek, turn and give him the other. If your enemy strikes you on that cheek, turn and give him the other again. But I ain't Jesus, I'm not perfect and I'm only going to take so much crap from one person. I may be a jerk in some people's opinions but at least I'm capable of understanding that this is the Internet and not everything is as it seems. Besides, even dogs know not to crap where they eat or bite the hand that feeds them.

All this over one guy's opinion about paint.

Paint.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited April 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Olive branch? Heh. Yeah, sure. Olive branch, wrapped in thorns more like it.

*sigh* are you that paranoid?

You made an interesting point regardless of how I perceive your online personality and I was just trying to further clarify it; not only for me but for other's reading this thread as well.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    How about what they told us to do in the 3rd grade? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Then there would be no need for you to post here on CP, if that were the case.

The rest of your post

POT; KETTLE; BLACK.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008

<snip>

All this over one guy's opinion about paint.

Paint.

Speaking of paint...

Pull your head out of your **** moron and check the dates on the LAST POST in the thread.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=792203&postcount=41

Paint.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    How about what they told us to do in the 3rd grade? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. ......

WAAAAAAA! Your kidding. Right?
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited April 2008
    I have a feeling my black paint will never oxidize...

When not in a drought, I wax my truck once or twice a month, and do the three step process 2-3 times a year...

But I guess time will tell...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    You know what heiney9? Save it. Really, save it. 'Cause you're way off base and it's clear that you have already passed judgment on me without knowing me. It's just not worth it to me to try and convince you otherwise.

Hey Face, why don't you quote the whole thread instead of taking one post out of context? Or are you deliberately trying to spin it to put me in a bad light? Because that would be so cool of you! Then everyone can give yo a big slap on the back and tell you how great you are and how you showed me!

• heiney9
    edited April 2008
    I have a feeling my black paint will never oxidize...

When not in a drought, I wax my truck once or twice a month, and do the three step process 2-3 times a year...

But I guess time will tell...

You should be golden for a long time with that kind of care. Me, I'm not that motivated but I try to wash once a week and wax twice a year.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    cmy330go wrote: »
    WAAAAAAA! Your kidding. Right?

So, I'm not nice? Maybe not. Probably more like insensitive. But I'm not mean. I don't kick puppies and pee on roses. I may not care if telling someone they are wrong will crush their fragile ego but I'm not deliberately mean to someone unless they felt like being mean to me.

But then again, why am I explaining myself to people on the Internet that don't like someone they never met?

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Hey Face, why don't you quote the whole thread instead of taking one post out of context? Or are you deliberately trying to spin it to put me in a bad light? Because that would be so cool of you! Then everyone can give yo a big slap on the back and tell you how great you are and how you showed me!
    I'm not going to muck up this thread anymore and post a whole thread within this one.

There's a blue "view thread" button there for those who'd like to view it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    So, I'm not nice? Maybe not. Probably more like insensitive. But I'm not mean. I don't kick puppies and pee on roses. I may not care if telling someone they are wrong will crush their fragile ego but I'm not deliberately mean to someone unless they felt like being mean to me.

But then again, why am I explaining myself to people on the Internet that don't like someone they never met?

Keep listening to the voices
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    You know what heiney9? Save it. Really, save it. 'Cause you're way off base and it's clear that you have already passed judgment on me without knowing me. It's just not worth it to me to try and convince you otherwise.

Look, I've been a member for over 3 years and lurked for about 16 months prior to that. I've read how you act and I think I nailed it pretty well; atleast for your online persona. I have a memory like a steel trap and you almost always in some way or manner are controversial in how you structure your posts. They are more times than not condescending; borderline belligerent and if anyone so much as slightly disagrees with you have a tendency to fly off the deep end with some sort of scathing remarks about how you're right and the rest are full of ****.

Take a look in this thread if you need examples. Sometimes it's just good to let it go and walk away; you never seem to. I'm done with this off topic thread jack.

H9
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008

Not sure, but you just can't seem to stop doing it.:rolleyes:

By the way. From my time on this board I've come across many members that I would like to meet, and only a few I could live without. Unless you conduct yourself completely different in person, you definitely fall into the live without category.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    edited April 2008
    I had a repainted red car back in the '70s that would oxidize badly every 6 months. I used Color Back on it, and it always brought back the shine - not much elbow grease needed, either. I don't know if it's a recommended product; you might want to research it.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    I just drive my vehicles around the gravel roads at the farm in IA until they are good and covered with fine dust. Hit it with the Hotsy power washer and the fine dust cleans any imperfections off. Quick and easy! Clear coat, who needs a stink'in clear coat :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2008
    I'm not looking to get into it with anybody, but I think John got his pictures reversed:

This is a random orbit polisher:
    20021101200000_7428_72dpi_500.jpg

This is a non-random orbit polisher:
    20021101200000_7424_72dpi_500.jpg

The top picture is a straight drive polisher. I agree that it's basically an angle grinder/sander and while it can be used with a polishing pad on paint, it's not a good idea for a novice. Pros use them all the time (usually pneumatic ones) to knock down orangepeel and remove imperfections, but it's also what they'd most likely use to buff your car if you have a body shop detail it. They tend to be very agressive even with gentle foam pads and mild polishes, so if you use one on your paint, you'd better know what you're doing.

The second picture looks like a random orbital polisher, to me. Other than the form factor, there's really not much difference between this and the "buffer" in John's top picture. I have one, and personally I think they're easier to handle. When used with the proper pad and backing plate, and a proper polish, they're unlikely to damage your paint.

I'm a believer in the paint clay, too. You have to use it properly (and that can be said for all these car care products) but it does what it says it'll do, which is pull off stuck-on/slightly embeded contaminants and remove mild surface oxidation. I always use it as a first step before polish or wax. Mostly because it makes polishing or waxing easier.