My Crappy Day....

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I go out to start the van this morning so i can get to my first service call. Battery was dead because I left my GPS plugged in for a little bit too long...cheap azz battery. Jump started it and let it run for 10-15 minutes while I gathered up the rest of my crap that I carry in my pockets. I get in the van and pull out of the driveway. less than two blocks away the motors stops so I coast from 10 miles per hour to a stop and smoke starts pouring out from under the hood. I killed the ignition and pop the hood latch. This took all of 5 seconds at the most. By the time I got to the front of the van theres melted burning rubber dripping to the ground. I opened the side doors to grab my extinguisher and I couldn't see it immediately. Then I remembered that I was carrying my Oxygen/Acetylene set in the back of the van. I immediately got it out of the van and dropped it a safe distance away. While all of this is going on I'm on the cell with 911 telling them that my van is on fire and desperately trying to keep the stupid rubber-neckers away from the van. A little advice for you looky-loo's....if you see a burning vehicle and you aren't planning on helping....STAY THE FOOK AWAY!!:mad:

The fire department shows up and puts the fire out. No obvious cause indicated. Here's what it looks like as of 30 minutes ago. A complete loss. No it will not buff out.

i1xvd1.jpg

2jamgwm.jpg

2mnhy6g.jpg

2604h0w.jpg

Insurance...liability only. I dropped the full coverage to try to keep my costs down. Everyone else is jacking their's up as a result of the cost of gas and passing the price increases on to the customer. I was doing everything possible to keep my overhead low....and now I'm screwed.

Guess I'll need to call the shop and have a "Rush" put on my XJ parts....it's going to have to become my service van for a while.
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    Here's a few better pics of the engine bay.

Passenger side:
    biotd.jpg

Centerline of motor. The V-Belt and air intake used to be here:
    r0us93.jpg

Driverside of the engine bay:
    2zinh3s.jpg

Flames were shooting out the hole where the drivers side headlight normally resides:
    2lavgw8.jpg

That, Ladies and Germs, is why the van is beyond reasonable repair.

Once I get my act together and start pulling parts I'll have a 5.7L motor, 4l80E Transmission, and a 14bolt rear axle up for sale. Make sure you save some time to stop by the First and Only FrankZ Fire Sale!! Whoopie! Bring the wife and kids....we'll BBQ!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2008
    My dad's a tv repair man. He's got a really hot set of tools. I can fix it!!!

Sorry dude, but maybe a bit of Spicolli could get you to crack a smile...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Electrical fire. Harness or something after the jump.

I watch CSI
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. What a ****.

Glad you're OK.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    I am sorry to hear of your troubles. That sucks.

Believe me, I understand. No matter how bad your day was, there is always someone else out there that had a worse day. I have no pictures to prove it and I will not get into it, but it will take me months to recover. I'll just say that.

Good luck brother, I wish you the best.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Holy smokes, That fire was intense. Glad you are safe. Sorry about the van.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    Like A Rock.....a burnt rock.

Sucks man, good to hear it didn't blow up. Put a new engine in that thing and you're good to go.
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    The engine is fine, it's all the other thousands of dollars worth of dealer only plastic and super secret parts that are the deal breaker.

The ECM is toast, brake mastercylinder....ruined, and I haven't even begun to descride the melted mess behind the dashboard.

Total loss.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited April 2008
    Is this your company vehicle or your vehicle if you don't mind me asking?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    There was a body in there....I know it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Wow sorry it happened Frank but I'm glad you're ok.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    I would drop it off and put it in under warranty.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    Yeah that sucks but you are ok. Who knows? Maybe it was your guardian angel's way of keeping you out of some other worse trouble down the road.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    My company so either way it's all mine.

Yeah I'm fine, frustrated...but I'll get over it.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    Frank Z wrote: »
    Once I get my act together and start pulling parts I'll have a 5.7L motor, 4l80E Transmission, and a 14bolt rear axle up for sale. Make sure you save some time to stop by the First and Only FrankZ Fire Sale!! Whoopie! Bring the wife and kids....we'll BBQ!!

Looks like you had the BBQ without us.

Cant put the 14bolt on the XJ? Those things are damn near indestructible.

If theres anything we can do to help you get going again, let us know!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    I could, but then I'd have to build a full width axle for the front. I've already spent too much time on that gem this winter as it is. It performed beautifully untill we were 10 miles outside of moab on our way home when the engine took a dump. Lost the the #6 exhaust lobe on the cam.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    My company so either way it's all mine.

Yeah I'm fine, frustrated...but I'll get over it.

Not sure it'll kick in in this case, but do you have business interruption insurance?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't cover the van.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    I could, but then I'd have to build a full width axle for the front. I've already spent too much time on that gem this winter as it is. It performed beautifully untill we were 10 miles outside of moab on our way home when the engine took a dump. Lost the the #6 exhaust lobe on the cam.
    Sounds like you couldnt have a better excuse to get a dana 60 for the front! And a 350 for the engine that took a dump:p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    Nah...44's locked front and rear work fine.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2008
    Sorry to see that, Frank. I lost my fully paid car last year, had it rear ended, so I can feel your pain. After a few months driving its replacement, I can at least say: I am fine and got a newer car. Hope you'll get there soon too.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    Not funny but use the AQ jumpers next time: less distortion ;)

Ford Owners: unplug those cruise control switches on the master cylinder! (yes there's a recall on them)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    Sorry for your loss Frank. I'm glad no one was injured. I would have burnt myself in that mess. Good luck!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,448
    edited April 2008
    Yep, that qualifies as a crappy day. Glad you're ok Frank.

Any chance of factory issue that they are covering up?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    wow... that was one intense fire you had in your van... what could have cause it other than maybe a fuel line leak onto a hot engine... poof... instant fire..

sorry about that, but glad you're ok.. don't even want to think of what could have happen in that case.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2008
    Sorry for your loss bro, dang that looks pretty fooking bad. Good thing you remembered to pull the torch gear.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Yeah that sucks but you are ok. Who knows? Maybe it was your guardian angel's way of keeping you out of some other worse trouble down the road.

That advice is worth its weight in gold. No, make that platinum.

Also, F1's advice about factory recalls, etc is very good. Do some digging, this sounds like a product defect.

Also, you mentioned: "Jump started it and let it run for 10-15 minutes while I gathered up the rest of my crap that I carry in my pockets. I get in the van and pull out of the driveway. less than two blocks away the motors stops so I coast from 10 miles per hour to a stop and smoke starts pouring out from under the hood."

Don't know about your homeowner's insurance, but that wiring meltdown/fire probably started in your driveway, so there might be some relief there.
    Sal Palooza
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2008
    Good luck Frank. I'm glad you're okay.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Glad your ok Frank.
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2008
    Homeowners policy won't cover it...commercial vehicle. No way to prove that the problem started in the driveway.