movie studios stick it to us, again!

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I got his message on my Direct TV DVR today...

"Effective April 15, 2008, DVR recordings of PPV movies will be available for 24 hours of unlimited viewing after purchase. Major movie studios have required that satellite and cable providers alike may no longer allow their customers to view these recordings for longer than 24 hours. During the 24 hour viewing period, you will continue to enjoy all of your DVR features such as pause and rewind."

Could a Pay Per View movie expire from my playlist before I get around to watching it?

Yes, the 24 hour viewing period is triggered by your purchase of the Pay Per View movie, so make sure to plan accordingly. If you are not sure you will be able to watch your selection within the 24 hour viewing period, use your “record/buy later” function available on DIRECTV Plus DVR or DIRECTV Plus HD DVR receivers.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Time to get a external hard drive for your DVR.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited April 2008
    Or rent your movies from Netflix. Then you can watch them when you want to.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited April 2008
    Face wrote: »
    Time to get a external hard drive for your DVR.

I don't think that will help with the Directv systems. The movies will loose their authorization and will not playback. Its a software thing.

Although I'm not a big user of PayPerView, I know a lot of people are. This is a real blow to them and I hope that poeple simply boycott the service.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    +1 on Netflix.

And bill is right, the movies are all encoded and can only be played by the DVR software, so an external HD wouldn't help, unfortunately.

See, when people rave about how digital downloads are the future and digital media is dead, this is the kind of crap that makes me hope and pray they're not correct. Physical media is a pain sometimes but at least, no matter how hard they try to restrict it, it's always yours.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    I agree Bob. Because of this crap, DVD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,983
    edited April 2008
    I could be wrong, but when I inquired with DirecTV a month or so ago about upgrading the equipment , I asked if there was a way to dump the movies and shows we recorded on the DVR onto a hard drive so that we could capture a whole season of shows and free up the space on the DVR, the rep. said that I could only do it if I had the HD DVR.

I wasn't interested in the HD, so I never pursued it but it may be worth a shot for those that currently have a HD DVR. You know, one could always go old school and just use a Hi-Fi stereo VCR to record the movies. I've never had a issue there.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    You may be able to dump them on an external hard drive, but the only thing capable of playing them would still be the DVR itself, which still will not play these PPV movies after the initial 24 hours.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • treitz3
    edited April 2008
    I have a Pinnacle Studio Movie Plus hardware/software setup on the computer that takes movies and whatnot and displays them onto the TV. Would this be the the same scenario?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited April 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but when I inquired with DirecTV a month or so ago about upgrading the equipment , I asked if there was a way to dump the movies and shows we recorded on the DVR onto a hard drive so that we could capture a whole season of shows and free up the space on the DVR, the rep. said that I could only do it if I had the HD DVR.

The person you talked to was full of crap. The HDDVR cannot do that. The only thing you can do with the HDDVR is add ESATA drives to INCREASE the overall storage capacity. Once its attached, the external drive part of the system and subject to the same deletion/expiration rules.

In fact, there is no way of knowing if a movie is stored on the internal drive or the external drive. The DVR treats them both as part of one big storage pool and manages the drives automatically.

Bottom line, unless you want to playback the movies and record them in SD (with another DVR, VCR, or HTPC), then there is no way around this 24 hour expiration BS.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    edited April 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    The person you talked to was full of crap.
    Figures. It seems that this is the case 90% of the time I talk with them so I'm not surprised.
  • rhulett
    rhulett Posts: 89
    edited April 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    The person you talked to was full of crap. The HDDVR cannot do that. The only thing you can do with the HDDVR is add ESATA drives to INCREASE the overall storage capacity. Once its attached, the external drive part of the system and subject to the same deletion/expiration rules.

In fact, there is no way of knowing if a movie is stored on the internal drive or the external drive. The DVR treats them both as part of one big storage pool and manages the drives automatically.

Bottom line, unless you want to playback the movies and record them in SD (with another DVR, VCR, or HTPC), then there is no way around this 24 hour expiration BS.

Just a little clarification, a esata drive does not increase the space, it replaces the internal drive. Once you plug in the esata and reboot, the dvr will no longer see the internal drive.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    I'm a Netflix user myself...
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    See, when people rave about how digital downloads are the future and digital media is dead, this is the kind of crap that makes me hope and pray they're not correct. Physical media is a pain sometimes but at least, no matter how hard they try to restrict it, it's always yours.

Exactly. I want a physical copy in my home that I can watch when I please, and show to as many of my friends as I would like.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2008
    Try SageTV
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2008
    Get a rack mount computer, and external hard drive and watch stuff whenever you want a get netflix to come to the house stick it in BUrn it ! and fill your library.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited April 2008
    And this is the same crap the music industry is pushing at us. Digital
    rights management is their #1 priority. Watch whatever new format they put out there be full of these type of booby traps.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    We'll still go to Hollywood Video and get all the movies we want for 30 bucks a month. At what Directv wants for a PPV movie, they can KMA.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    the point it the movie industry is playing big brother. what's the big deal if I use PPV and rent a movie for $3.99 and watch it three month's later? I still paid for the stupid movie.. I didn't download it illegally or anything like that.

I don't know why the movie studios have to have any say in it really. It's all perfectly legal, but yet they movie studios want a person to record it over and over again.. so someone gets paid several times for watching the same movie.

I'm with everyone else. I too use Netflix... and everyone should boycott PPV on satellite and cable TV until the movie studios realize they are full of crap.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    I'm still pissed that I need a special box so my rabbit ears can work next year. I'm a HDTV, Pay per View, View On Demand Luddite.
    Carl

• danger boy
    edited April 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I'm still pissed that I need a special box so my rabbit ears can work next year. I'm a HDTV, Pay per View, View On Demand Luddite.

HDTV is a good thing.... it's long overdue... and I'm glad that it's finally here to stay come next year. :D