Adding IEC C14 connector?

Options
2»

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Why did you go with the choke? If it physically works, I'll be soldering the connections and then heat-shrinking all the wires. Since the power cord is grounded and the amp is not, is that something I should try, or just make the two connections and leave the ground free?
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited May 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    On my GFA-555 I wired the power cord directly. I didn't feel the need for 2 extra connectors. The connectors are nice if you want to swap cables, but I don't feel that need and just bought a cable that was a substantial upgrade to the puny 16/2 lamp cord that was on there. Just wanted to list another option for people reading the thread. Sorry for the slight derail Jake. Good luck with your cuts. I know you do good work.
    Ben

Did the same as Ben on my GFA-555 replacing the 16/2 direct, with a 14/3 direct.
    [
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,720
    edited May 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    That a great idea Ben! I'm getting a 12' power cord at a great discount because of an ordering error on their part. 12' is a little to long for me, so I'll look at chopping it up and hard-wiring it into the amp. The pre-cut hole might actually work perfect with the lamp-cord grommet taken out.

ShinAce, it's not that the metal is that thick, they just double it back on the sides for strength.

If you take out that grommet, you need to replace it with another. You don't want the sharp edge of the hole cutting the new cable.
  • zingo
    edited May 2008
    Options
    What did you do with the ground on your 14/3 Vonnie?

And don't worry William, I'll protect the cable one way or another.
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited May 2008
    Options
    In the Adcom GFA 555 there is a "dead" female snap on connector which I also grounded to the main ground strap. I used an insulated crimp on connector to marry up the ground and connector. I made it removeable in case adding the ground added any degree of hum; fortunately it didn't.

In addition, I did have to punch out case a touch after removing the old 16/2 power cord protection grommet; I then installed the proper 14/3 strain relief grommet. I was lucky my brother had the right size punch to enlarge the grommet opening. I undertook a similar project replacing a stock zip cord on a CD changer with an used Audioquest NRG-1 power cord (removed the c7 two prong terminal) and connected it to the wiring inside the CD changer. Probably overkill, but it's a hobby!
    [
  • zingo
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and good ideas. That's a good idea having the ground removeable incase of a hum. I'll make sure to wiring it in that way.