nitrogen in car tires for better gas mileage ?

13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited April 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Man,this is worse than a cable debate.

Wait until I bring up Cables injected with Nitrogen and how they sound compared to regular Cables :D:p:)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    edited April 2008
    Nitrogen and air. The difference is hot air keeps going and going.........
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Wait until I bring up Cables injected with Nitrogen and how they sound compared to regular Cables :D:p:)

H9

But then you would be saying ............... "CABLES MAKE A DIFFERENCE"!

(the sound you hear is the door to my hiding place slamming shut!)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    His facts were also directly contradictory to 95% of Ron's earlier post. Figure that one out.

LOL-:D. I wasn't busting on Agfrost just Ron's response to what Agfrost posted. Ron doesn't even realize he was contradicted. LOL
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    But then you would be saying ............... "CABLES MAKE A DIFFERENCE"!

(the sound you hear is the door to my hiding place slamming shut!)

They do, every rational audiophile knows that!! :D:D
  • dkg999
    edited April 2008
    They do, every rational audiophile knows that!! :D:D

Now just where are you going to find a rational audiophile? Is that what an audiophile becomes when they're dead :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    LOL-:D. I wasn't busting on Agfrost just Ron's response to what Agfrost posted. Ron doesn't even realize he was contradicted. LOL

I don't think I was contradicted. Agfrost simply added to the analysis. He agreed that there may be something to the reactivity with oxygen. But, he said its more likely to impact the rim than the tire.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    Consumer Reports study regarding rate of pressure loss.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • dkg999
    edited April 2008
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Consumer Reports study regarding rate of pressure loss.

There you go wanting to try to introduce facts into one of our debates :rolleyes:
    DKG999

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited April 2008
    Lets sum all this up.....

WHO GIVES A FLYING F$#K!!!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dkg999
    edited April 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lets sum all this up.....

WHO GIVES A FLYING F$#K!!!!

I can care about Flying F$#K's! 34,000 feet, a little light chop, a good looking woman spread eagle in the lavatory .............. but I digress :D
    DKG999

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    There you go wanting to try to introduce facts into one of our debates :rolleyes:

Sorry. Moment of weakness.
    I can care about Flying F$#K's! 34,000 feet, a little light chop, a good looking woman spread eagle in the lavatory .............. but I digress :D

Wow....You paint quite a picture.:eek:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • tonyb
    edited April 2008
    Farmers are like that.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 708
    edited April 2008
    Let's see. Air is Nitrogen and Oxygen and water and not much else. Mole wt of N2 is 28 and Oxy mole wt is 16. So O2 is smaller. So let's just say, for arguments sake that, the tire could cause a separation of n2 and o2; the o2 gets away. You keep filling your tires up with a little air and before you know it it's mostly nitrogen and the leakage should stop. Has anyone had this experience? I didn't think so.

Nitrogen is manufactured by distilling it from air. In the process the water is also separated out. The nitrogen is "bone dry" (I'm serious, that really is the engineering term, even on April 2). If you live in the frozen north country and use N2, you won't have a big chunk of ice- from the condensed water- in the bottom of your tire when you set out in the morning. That out of balance tire can be a pain, in aircraft tires too. That's the benefit. Not to exciting eh?
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2008
    The only issue I have with the consumer reports test is they only got the tires to 95% Nitrogen. In my mind that would probably be were most of the lost PSI's come from.

Just using normal math 30 psi minus 5% is 1.5 psi. They ended up with a 2.2 psi. so really isn't the loss more like 2.5 percent of the nitrogen. Compared to about 12% for regular oxygen filled tire.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    Consumer reports rates Nitrogen molecules that are Manufactured in Japan as being 34% less prone to leaking than domestically produced Nitrogen molecules.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2008
    See post #71 Ron...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-