Recommend Your Automotive Tips (non-audio related)

2»

Comments

• toddco
    toddco Posts: 147
    edited March 2008
    One think most dont know is all engines have a oil filter bypass valve. So when your filter get dirty and creates sertin presher, this valve opens and pumps your dirt oil from the pan strait back in to the engine. Your oil may not be degraded, however it does get dirty from carbon espouser and what not ,this in unavaidable. The filter can only filter so much before it plugs up.:eek:
    RTi12's:D
    CSi5
    FXi5
    CSi3
    PB12+2 :cool:
    Sony STR-DA2ES
    Outlaw M200 x3
    SMS 1
    Signal Ultra
    Sig.2 Inters.
    PS 3
    Xbox360 Elite
    PHILLIPS 42" PLAS. 1080i
    Monster 5100 SS
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I change it at about 4k or 3 months. Here in Dallas, heat kills everything.

I always thought this was a myth ... with the exception of the paint job and interior.

Engine/tranny/etc parts are meant to run at much higher temps than any ambient temp anywhere in the world. I thought that cold weather (northern regions) was far far harder on a car than hot climates. Actually, I figured a southern climate with mild winters and warm summers is actually the best environment for the average car assuming your car is well built and the cooling system functions (i.e doesn't overheat when it's 110 outside)

Even short trips, it means the oil gets to temperature faster and more readily burns off condensation. ANy car built for the US market will have had summer high temps taken into account when designing, say, a transmission when calculating amount of fluid necessary to effectively not "burn up" on a hot day in Texas.

But, I'm not a mechanic ... or a mechanical engineer, so I admit I could be without a clue on this one.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    I always thought this was a myth ... with the exception of the paint job and interior.

Engine/tranny/etc parts are meant to run at much higher temps than any ambient temp anywhere in the world. I thought that cold weather (northern regions) was far far harder on a car than hot climates. Actually, I figured a southern climate with mild winters and warm summers is actually the best environment for the average car assuming your car is well built and the cooling system functions (i.e doesn't overheat when it's 110 outside)

Even short trips, it means the oil gets to temperature faster and more readily burns off condensation. ANy car built for the US market will have had summer high temps taken into account when designing, say, a transmission when calculating amount of fluid necessary to effectively not "burn up" on a hot day in Texas.

But, I'm not a mechanic ... or a mechanical engineer, so I admit I could be without a clue on this one.

Heat kills stuff. An over 100 degree day in bumper to bumper means
    there isn't much airflow. The engine and tranny get hot. The radiator
    has trouble doing it's job cooling the engine and tranny. Fluids like ATF and
    oil break down. There was a 114 degree day a couple of years ago, and
    the next morning my battery was dead. I went down to the parts place
    to cash in on the warranty. He said "just put it over there next to the others."
    He had a wall of dead batteries.
    Warm summers? Try a 100 days of over 100, and tell me that isn't hard on cars. I change all fluids on a regular basis.
    And I go through brake pads like crazy.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wizzy
    edited March 2008

What kind of car do you have? I used to burn up brake pads too until I started buying the replacements from Toyota. Everyone on the Toyota mailing list said the same thing, buy Toyota pads they work way better than anything you get aftermarket ... sure enough, they were absolutely right.
  • wizzy
    edited March 2008
    Heat kills stuff. An over 100 degree day in bumper to bumper means
    there isn't much airflow. The engine and tranny get hot. The radiator
    has trouble doing it's job cooling the engine and tranny. Fluids like ATF and
    oil break down. There was a 114 degree day a couple of years ago, and
    the next morning my battery was dead. I went down to the parts place
    to cash in on the warranty. He said "just put it over there next to the others."
    He had a wall of dead batteries.
    Warm summers? Try a 100 days of over 100, and tell me that isn't hard on cars. I change all fluids on a regular basis.

Well yeah, batteries are the one exception. Cold weather is actually far better for car batteries than hot weather.

Other than that, your car should be designed to easily handle the climate and conditions in which it is sold.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2008
    And I spend the extra couple dollars and buy the bosch oil filter which claims to filter out smaller particles. I know autozone carries it. If I buy my own oil and filter, the going rate around here is $10 for a oil change.

I've been using synthetic in the 97 pathfinder with 160k on it but I'm thinking about switching to regular castrol since a nissan engine is virtually indestructable. The 95 range rover has 150k on it and uses about a quart of oil in 3k.

Wix makes the best oil filter.
    Mobil 1 oil filter is a rebadged wix filter that cost a couple of dollars more.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    Mobil 1 oil filter is a rebadged wix filter that cost a couple of dollars more.
    Correct. I've been using Wix for years.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited March 2008
    ESAVINON wrote: »

For what??? I use Mahle or Mann filters for my GTi VR6 and those are the best for my application since they are OEM suppliers and are made to VW spec.

There is no best anything for every application.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    Heat is murder on automatic transmissions.
    It would rather work room temp than hot.
    It's a Ford F150. That's a lot of iron to stop.
    I get the lifetime warranty pads. They must
    hate to see me coming back over and over.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wizzy
    edited March 2008
    Heat is murder on automatic transmissions.
    It would rather work room temp than hot.
    It's a Ford F150. That's a lot of iron to stop.
    I get the lifetime warranty pads. They must
    hate to see me coming back over and over.

Do they put them on for free, so when you come back the total is $0.00 for you?
  • SBrown712
    SBrown712 Posts: 202
    edited March 2008
    Don't forget to change the halogen gas in your headlights.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    SBrown712 wrote: »
    Don't forget to change the halogen gas in your headlights.
    Don't forget to have the blinker fluid and bucket of steam ready too.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Do they put them on for free, so when you come back the total is $0.00 for you?

No. I do my own. The parts are lifetime.
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited April 2008
    I change my oil every 7-8k in my vehicles, my mazda protege 5 has 137k with no issues and changed transmission fluid at 75k on it. My Pilot recommends 6-8k on oil and my Murano says 6-7k. I dont buy into the whole 3k oil changes.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18