Recommend Your Automotive Tips (non-audio related)

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
1. Change your automatic transmission fluid at least every 20k miles. The fluid is just high-detergent 10w oil that gets dirty and the detergents wear out/break down with time.

2. Use your car's a/c at least once a week. Everytime you drive is even better. Even in the winter when you have the temperature setting to hot, leave the a/c button pushed in/on. Folks with automatic climate control will have to figure out how to do this on your own. Using the a/c keeps the o-rings in the hoses and the seals in the compressor lubricated. When the seals and o-rings become dry from non-use, your chance of the freon leaking out increases.
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited March 2008
    1. drive it

2. if it's hot out, open the windows even a crack, if possible

3. chk tire pressure monthly

4. change yer friggin oil!

5. don't be afraid to 'get on it'. see #1

6. if it's broke - fix it!

7. be consistent with your maintenence

8. tint your glass - at least in FL;)

9. keep it clean - in & out

10. get some action in there! you only live once!:D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    1. Drive it like you stole it.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2008
    Lease it, so by the time the problems start you don't own it any more.

Oh - also avoid hitting the car in front of you.:D
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited March 2008
    Keep the AC evap drains clear

A funny noise isn't just a noise--fix it

Rubber suspension bushings are a wear item

Hose off the undercarriage on warm days in the winter

Check your U-joints regularly for lash

Fuel pump motors are a lot cheaper than entire assemblies

Don't forget your differentials and transfer case have fluid in them, too

Your ricer neighbor's lowered import car is not a flex ramp :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited March 2008
    1. Change your automatic transmission fluid at least every 20k miles. The fluid is just high-detergent 10w oil that gets dirty and the detergents wear out/break down with time.

2. Use your car's a/c at least once a week. Everytime you drive is even better. Even in the winter when you have the temperature setting to hot, leave the a/c button pushed in/on. Folks with automatic climate control will have to figure out how to do this on your own. Using the a/c keeps the o-rings in the hoses and the seals in the compressor lubricated. When the seals and o-rings become dry from non-use, your chance of the freon leaking out increases.

#1 is good and goes for all fluids. Brake fluid absorbs water over time so that should be changed every 2 years or so. Sooner if you put a lot of miles on. Not all cars use 10W tranny fluid. I use Redline Synthetic.

#2 is a bit of myth IMO, but it certainly can't hurt.

Tire pressure is important; cleaning out rain tray drains periodically keeps water from backing up into the interior of the car. I use a Cold Air Intake with a cleanable air filter. It gets cleaned and re-oiled every Spring.

Plugs and plug wires should be checked and changed as nec.

Pay attention to Check engine Lights and on board diagnostics
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SlowcarIX
    SlowcarIX Posts: 887
    edited March 2008
    if you drive a turbocharged car and has access to boost control, fuel and timing table - do water/methanol injection. Blue set of lines - stock car with 21lbs boost, Red set of lines - 32lbs boost

the result of water methanol injection on my 06 mitsubishi evolution ix

http://www.putfile.com/pic/4564538
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612
  • hydrostream
    hydrostream Posts: 549
    edited March 2008
    Spring is here don't foget to change the air in your tires from winter
    air to summer air.
    Makes the car handle better.
    jerry
    Main- GTP-500II,GDC-600,GFA-555II and energy C-500s
    Basement-Audiosource pre/tuner,GFA-545,Onkyo
    DX-1400 and RTI10s
    Garage-GTP-450,onkyo M-282 and R50s with RTi55
    drivers and X-overs.
    My baby 18' V-king Mod VP with a merc 2.4 BP.
    KTM 620 Supermoto
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Spring is here don't foget to change the air in your tires from winter
    air to summer air.
    Makes the car handle better.
    jerry

I saw on the news where a lot of ppl are using hydrogen because it's not supposed to leak as bad over time and the stations selling the hydrogen are charging big bucks like $30 a car or something like that.
  • SlowcarIX
    SlowcarIX Posts: 887
    edited March 2008
    its nitrogen
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited March 2008
    I saw on the news where a lot of ppl are using hydrogen because it's not supposed to leak as bad over time and the stations selling the hydrogen are charging big bucks like $30 a car or something like that.

I think you mean nitrogen??

Hydrogen could result in a sort of "Hindenburg Effect" ;), don't think I'd want that in my tires.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I think you mean nitrogen??

Hydrogen could result in a sort of "Hindenburg Effect" ;), don't think I'd want that in my tires.

Thanks. I wasn't sure it was hydrogen but I went with it :)
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited March 2008
    i will sell anyone some "magic pellets" I use to increase gas mileage....also have some custom made free gas hoses, using small pumps..just pull up next to the gas tank..pop the cap..insert hose..turn on pump...dumps right into the tank....drive away...
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2008
    Rotate you hub caps.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    Don't fall for the sucker line of changing your oil every 3k unless you truly do make lots of very short trips or other heavy duty work. See manual for specifics.

Follow the manufacturers recommendation. Usually every 6k/7.5k or six months -- whatever the manual recommends.

If you want to waste money, change your oil every 5k. If you want to be a Jiffy Lube Sucker, do it every 3k.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Before I moved down here I used to not change my oil for about 6-8k. I would just check it regularly for cleanliness, and viscosity. Down here in the heat I have to change it at least every 4k. Up north I would just change it right before it started heating up(early summer). Once a year was fine.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2008
    get an alarm, put a system in it, Throw some DUBS on that beotch.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    The only thing I'll add: wind it out occasionally close to redline. Modern cars will not let you over-rev the engine, so don't worry about exceeding redline. If your car is old, this might not be a good idea... :)
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Sherardp wrote: »
    get an alarm, put a system in it, Throw some DUBS on that beotch.

Then drive it like you stole it?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Don't fall for the sucker line of changing your oil every 3k unless you truly do make lots of very short trips or other heavy duty work. See manual for specifics.

Follow the manufacturers recommendation. Usually every 6k/7.5k or six months -- whatever the manual recommends.

If you want to waste money, change your oil every 5k. If you want to be a Jiffy Lube Sucker, do it every 3k.

That's the rotation I'm on and have been for some time. If I had something exotic, it might be different but that would be moreso a labor of love than a neccesity.

I'm a tire pressure and a factory maintenance nerd. I like to follow the schedules to the mile since the days of me owning a vehicle without a warranty are long gone for now. I do notice the sting of that with my Chevy as opposed to the Audi since I have to actually pay for it. It hasn't been too bad.

Anyone else like BG products?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    That's the rotation I'm on and have been for some time. If I had something exotic, it might be different but that would be moreso a labor of love than a neccesity.

I'm a tire pressure and a factory maintenance nerd. I like to follow the schedules to the mile since the days of me owning a vehicle without a warranty are long gone for now. I do notice the sting of that with my Chevy as opposed to the Audi since I have to actually pay for it. It hasn't been too bad.

Anyone else like BG products?

I am too. I constantly check tire pressure and do proper rotation as well as regular interval oil changes. I use Mobil 1 synth for oil and still change it religiously at 5K using the factory VW oil filter. I run separate snow tires in the winter (Blizzaks) and separate summer tires since I have both stock rims and aftermarket rims. It really makes a difference with the winters here in the Midwest (especially this year)

Proper maintenance goes hand in hand with automobile ownership. I don't drive a lot of miles a year so I can usually get by with maintenance, other than oil changes, about every 2-3 years.

Washing and waxing makes a huge difference as well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2008
    anonymouse wrote: »
    So I need to change the plugs on my car. The dealer recommends changing the wire and PCV. Are these wear items?

Depends. Plug wires will wear out but sometimes you can see visually sometimes not. I use very expensive Magnecor wires and I've had those for 6 years. I've heard horror stories of people getting the $49.95 specials at the local discount auto store and them either not working out of the box or needing to be replaced in about a year.

Buy quality parts if your not using dealer parts. It makes a difference in the long run.

The PCV does have a certain life span and in most cars is a regular maintenance item.

H9
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Anytime I change plugs I change wires, especially with GM wires.

If they're molested after having a few hundred heat cycles, they usually will start to misfire if reused.

As for PCV's, I change them once a year. A clogged PCV valve can cause poor fuel economy and other problems. Since they're usually cheap and easy to change, it's good preventive maintenance to change them once a year.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    Since I deal in used cars, I'd prefer you change your oil every 3k :D

A lot of the other things on a car you can wait until they fail (except belts and hoses) but engine oil I don't recommend pushing the limits.

The potential payoff/savings is much greater than the extra cost ($100 a year).
  • heiney9
    edited March 2008
    Since I deal in used cars, I'd prefer you change your oil every 3k :D

A lot of the other things on a car you can wait until they fail (except belts and hoses) but engine oil I don't recommend pushing the limits.

The potential payoff/savings is much greater than the extra cost ($100 a year).

I recommend for those that are truely interested in oil, engine wear and change intervals to spend a small amount of money and have your oil analyzed.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Not a gimmick or a scam. I admittedly haven't done it yet but I'm going to this Spring when I change my oil. I know a lot of guys that have sent in samples to be analyzed and it's amazing what they can tell you about your engine with just the basic analysis. They can also tell you how much life your oil actually had left and you can use that as guide for your next oil change.

Now there's your scientific evidence your always squawking about Carl. Just to do it because has never been enough for you in the past.

Go to the Blackstone site and you can learn something about proper oil maintenance based on scientific analysis rather than the standard adopted every 3K miles.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2008
    Another thing to consider is almost all cases the oil filter wears out long before the properties of the oil. The filter fails to do it's job properly long before the limits of the oil are reached, especially when using synthetic oil.

H9
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I recommend

Sounds good. The problem with going with the maximum which is what the owner manuals say is that we all get busy and sometimes 6-7.5k turns into 10-15k intervals. I'd much prefer to see a target of 3k which sometimes turns into 5k in which case is a pretty safe range.

Growing up I changed my 66 chev every 2k. I still have it and haven't done a thing to the engine. The compression on all the cylinders are all over 200 psi.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2008
    Sounds good. The problem with going with the maximum which is what the owner manuals say is that we all get busy and sometimes 6-7.5k turns into 10-15k intervals. I'd much prefer to see a target of 3k which sometimes turns into 5k in which case is a pretty safe range.

Growing up I changed my 66 chev every 2k. I still have it and haven't done a thing to the engine. The compression on all the cylinders are all over 200 psi.

I agree if one is going to extend it to 10-15K then they really should be sure (by analysis) that the oil is still performing within it's limits for their particular situation. Again when your out to 15K for an oil change I'd be concerned the filter is failing to do it's job properly.

When I ran dino oil I changed every 3-5K. Now with synth I extend it to 5-7.5K. I only put about 9K a year on my car so I change the oil about once in a calendar year. If the Blackstone analysis recommends I can go longer for my situation and my engine then I will.

H9
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2008
    And I spend the extra couple dollars and buy the bosch oil filter which claims to filter out smaller particles. I know autozone carries it. If I buy my own oil and filter, the going rate around here is $10 for a oil change.

I've been using synthetic in the 97 pathfinder with 160k on it but I'm thinking about switching to regular castrol since a nissan engine is virtually indestructable. The 95 range rover has 150k on it and uses about a quart of oil in 3k.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »

I change it at about 4k or 3 months. Here in Dallas, heat kills everything.
    Bumper to bumper driving is a lot harder milage than open road.
    Better too often than not enough. I do it myself. While I'm at it, I look over
    everything else. That's the real benefit. See stuff before it breaks.
    I've been known to go longer, but anymore I prefer to go with what works
    for me, which is changing oil on the season change.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    How about some automotive "driving" tips.....here's a few...
    Use turn signals
    when turning left,don't go a little to the right first
    If you drive 55,stay the hell out of the left lane
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables