Zone 2 Speakers

Options
cruiser3
cruiser3 Posts: 47
edited December 2002 in Speakers
I am looking for recommendations for 'Zone 2' speakers to run in my living room. I have been looking at the rti 28's . My receiver is the Oink 696. Any thoughts or recommends would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
Post edited by cruiser3 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    What about inwalls?
    The rti28's would be nice.Are you mounting on the wall,in a bookcase or on stands?How about using the rti38's for alittle better bass?
    How are you going to control the zone?Keypad?RF remote?Simple volume control?IR sensor?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cruiser3
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Inwalls are out of the question. Bookcase on both sides of the fireplace is where I plan on setting them. Simple volume control per the receivers manual. The Oink 696 independently controls zone 2 speakers. The better bass from rti 38's sounds good. Thanks for your thoughts, mantis.
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Options
    B&W CDM1Nt's

B&W Nautilus 805's

Boston Acoustics VRM-50's or 60's (cherry)

Dynaudio Audience 42's or 52's

Dynaudio Contour 1.1's or 1.3's

That's Badass!!!!!
  • liv4fam
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Just makin it new again
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2002
    Options
    was this a question about polk speaker options? I have the RTI28's and they sound good, for bookshelf zone 2's i would think they would work great.. I don't see the need for that much bass in a remote set of speakers and the 38's are huge for bookshelfs, its really what you want? do you want a small compact speaker just for basic sound? or do you want a real big bookshelf with lots of sound and bass? then get the 38's... depends what you want.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    if you want a small speaker, go to radioshack. They have a speaker that sounds real good for 80 bucks, and it about half a foot tall and 2-3 inchs wide
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I use my 2nd zone for stereo and/or complimenting my mains for stereo or 5.1 sound. There are a bunch of possibilities out there.

MxSt..... brings up Radio Shack. I believe RCA brand still uses a Lineaum tweeter (180 compared to the older 360 degree). This are definately worth a listen. The 28s seem like a nice choice too.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cruiser3
    edited December 2002
    Options
    gidrah....You use 2nd zone speakers with your 5.1 set up? Do you get 6.1 results? Just curious. Sounds interesting. Otherwise, Im leaning towards the 28's, but will check out RShacks. Thanks!
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Anyone ever see a listing on ebay for some of those rat shack linneaum bookshelfs that have been modded? I once saw a listing and this guy took new pairs and changed almost all of the guts out. I wonder how those would sound?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You can still get the Polk RT25i (black) at Crutchfield for only $179 plus $3 shipping. I have a pair and they are really nice. I think Ron-P has spoken highly of this little speaker also.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I have their Optimus Speakers, they cant play VERY loud, but their pretty laid back and accurate. They don't get on your nerves either. So its a real good speaker for 80 dollars.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • liv4fam
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Optimus?

Accurate? They don't even belong in the same sentence.

Pioneer speakers don't sound good so how can Optimus when pioneer makes there stuff just cheaper?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    cruiser3 - My receiver has pre-outs for 2nd zone/speaker B. Without an additional amp, it uses the rear amps and is great for 4 speaker stereo. I have a Dynaco ST-120A hooked up right now. It's still only 5.1 as it just has dual left and right mains. The 28s are nice speakers. You can't go wrong there.

Liv4Fam - The absolute best speakers I've ever heard used Pioneer drivers. TAD more exactly. The 2nd best sounding speakers I've ever heard used,..... you guessed it. You should listen to some if you ever get a chance. Here's a link.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/Industrial/IndustrialWhatsNewForTAD/0,1439,30~3070,00.htm
    Make it Funky! :)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Radio Shack used to put their speakers on 50% off regularly. It'd be worth the wait to check sales, or after-Christmas sales.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Rt25i speakers, are very awesome speakers!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC