Sushi

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    I can just see it now. Rather than like every other hunter and pull a knife out of your sheath to cut the deer up you pull a bottle of A-1 out of your sheath right in the woods...
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2008
    my best sushi is wasabi caviar....it's so spicy yet so good....
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    As often as possible. I Love the Sushi.

Eel being my personal favorite.

Wow Ben!!! Your screen name should be Deer Hunter.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    There are various types of sushi:

Sushi is raw fish on top of rice bed, as you noticed all the other stuff had different names. :)

It's just funny that people talk about sushi but many times mean just rolls, I don't mean to start an argument. If they only eat the rolls they are missing out, unless they have tried sushi and don't like it. Spicy tuna and salmon rolls are very good, and sometimes a few pieces of philly roll, rainbow roll etc.

If ever in Dallas, try out place called Tokyo One. All you can eat sushi for $15 (lunch), and it includes sashimi, sushi, rolls, oysters, kebab etc. Dinner, $25, includes also snowcrab and such. Fresh and good, eating like I eat there would cost me a fortune at regular menu place. They don't have any exotic rolls though if that's what you're wanting to eat.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2008
    Had a bunch of rolls and few pieces of fatty tuna and escolar sushi last night. Best sushi/sashimi I've had was a small place in San Francisco.

I'm hopeful to find an even better place next week in Maui.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2008
    Never understood the appeal. Steak Tartare is better.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    Not opposed to trying it, but the wife greatly dislikes seafood so actually going somewhere would be dumb. I will try it eventually and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, until then I will save my cash and eat my sammich.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Raw salmon is good. Cook it it sucks. I have grown to love good sushi. I also like raw venison. Right after we pop one I like to remove the tenderloins, wipe off the excess blood, and just a touch of A-1 steak sauce. My mouth is so watering now! Raw venison liver is good when it is still warm right out of the body cavity. Damn I miss hunting.

OK.Yuck...
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2008
    Note to Self: Put Bizill on THE LIST and report him to the House UnAmerican Activities Council

i'm the 'asian-caucasion, or 'caucasion-asian'.;):cool:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited March 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Had a bunch of rolls and few pieces of fatty tuna and escolar sushi last night. Best sushi/sashimi I've had was a small place in San Francisco.

I'm hopeful to find an even better place next week in Maui.

If you like copious quantities & a pretty decent selection, try Todai.

If you're looking for specialty stuff, go elsewhere.

Pack some coin.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    I've tried a lot of different sushi type food (don't know the different technical names) and for the most part I just don't care for them. I'm OK with sushi as an appetizer, but not as a meal.

I do like fresh Salmon, caught out of a cold Alaskan river, lightly smoked over the campfire. Now that is good! I have also had Salmon sushi that was pretty good, again preferred as an appetizer.

Ben - with the current state of CWD in the US deer population, I wouldn't recommend eating raw or under-cooked venison. Maybe the CWD hasn't hit the deer that far south, but up north it's pretty rampant in the over-populated deer herds.

And yes, some of the sushi I have seen sure resembles bait used to catch fish, turtles, etc.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    i don't know how anyone could dislike seafood.. and sushi doesn't have a seafood taste or smell to it actually. the pics in here are better than any babe thread i've ever seen :p:D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited March 2008
    Born and bred on it. Anything goes.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    I've tried a lot of different sushi type food (don't know the different technical names) and for the most part I just don't care for them. I'm OK with sushi as an appetizer, but not as a meal.

I do like fresh Salmon, caught out of a cold Alaskan river, lightly smoked over the campfire. Now that is good! I have also had Salmon sushi that was pretty good, again preferred as an appetizer.

Ben - with the current state of CWD in the US deer population, I wouldn't recommend eating raw or under-cooked venison. Maybe the CWD hasn't hit the deer that far south, but up north it's pretty rampant in the over-populated deer herds.

And yes, some of the sushi I have seen sure resembles bait used to catch fish, turtles, etc.

CWD who?
    All my hunting has been done in the deep woods of NE Connecticut. I broke my back, and neck in many places plus all the herniated disk. I fish in tropical waters now. Well before I had kids, and before someone stole my center console.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). It's natures way of thinning out over populated herds of deer. There is some debate on the impact to humans who consume the venison of an infected deer. There is pretty much concensus that normal cooking temperatures will kill the virus.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Never understood the appeal. Steak Tartare is better.

+1 on that
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2008
    engtaz wrote: »
    Only if it's real fresh. Otherwise it is nasty.

engtaz

There's only two options: fresh or get sick (now or later).
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited March 2008
    Love sushi...especially with some wasabi and soy sauce.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2008
    I voted bait on my hook, and I dont fish.

Sorry but gimme a porterhouse or Ny strip anyday over some stinky fishes. Rare of course.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    There's not much chance I'd willingly put raw fish in my mouth. After a few days on a life raft might be another story, but I'd still try to cook it with a Zippo.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited March 2008
    Sushi is awesome. Also enjoy tremendously the flavored saki!!!
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    eat it, like it, do it more to appease the trendy ladies, though recently i am into this dragon roll, which is cooked eel, with avocado and a tasty brown dressing sauce....

other than that, tuna rolls. toro tuna sashimi style, but costs more..

+1 Volley. Dragon Roll=Super Grub
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2008
    I could eat Sushi everyday.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2008
    I'm going tonight with some friends, yummy!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Gotta agree that eel is the easiest to agree with the palate. However, I'm talking about sea eel(no fresh water, please).

It's been a while since I had a good sushi lunch or dinner. Edamame, miso soup, lots of sushi and a cold Sapporo, hell yeah.
  • SlowcarIX
    SlowcarIX Posts: 887
    edited March 2008
    Ok...all you sushi eaters, who here tried/likes Uni (sea urchin roe)?

913de5cc7deeb27b_m.jpg

anyone tried fugu (pufferfish)?

08_blowfish_lg.jpg
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited March 2008
    Tried it once.

Spit it on the floor. It was in Cross Street Market. So it was OK to do that.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2008
    I know I've had Uni, but don't recall ever trying Fugu. I didn't think the Uni was bad. Not my favorite by any means, but still not bad.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited March 2008
    I'm gonna open up a sushi bar/bait shop. Think about it, "Todays lunch plate,tomorrows cut bait" It's a win-win. Keeps the overhead low....
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2008
    When I get the cravin'... I'm really up for the wasabi/soy sauce combo. Hate to introvert, but everything else is secondary. Dip it. Eat it. Ask for more.

Anything with "suckers" gets a second glance, but other than that... I'm all aboard.

toot toot
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore