A Warning To Parents

bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hello I work at a dairy plant that make the milk for mcdonalds and also the milk for wawa. Here is the warning the bottles get sanitized with HI acid chem. to sanitize them. Well I noticed the other day that the bottles dont get rinse the just get turned upside down and whatever comes out comes out. The rest stays in there about a tbs. Just a little warning and this stuff is BAD working in a room with it makes your eyes burn. Just though I might warn you. I told the manager and he says its fine.:eek:
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900
Post edited by bigaudiofanatic on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    What is wawa? I appreciate this since our daughter drinks milk to no end. We don't got to McDonald's, so we are safe there, but I wasn't sure about the other.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    Wawa is a convience store like quick check or 7-11
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited March 2008
    Wawa is a place like 7 eleven or a place like a delli and snacks store from NJ to about Virgina but they are planning on going all the way to cali.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    I will buy nothing from a store named..Wawa.,,,,lol
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    my WAWA hurts......:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    Ahh, I see. I was just hoping that wasn't another name for Walmart.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited March 2008
    Wow. That's depressing.

But thanks very much for lookin' out!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Boonaroo
    Boonaroo Posts: 56
    edited March 2008
    I thought that cows made milk?
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    Boonaroo wrote: »
    I thought that cows made milk?

silly silly boy
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    not to derail but this reminds me of a funny story. i was riding down the road listening to a talk radio station and a local politician was running for some local office here in Va. long story short he was talking about our economy and how the price of bread and milk has gone way up. no lie this comes out of his mouth: "We don't even need dairy or bread farms anymore..if we want bread or milk nowadays we just have to go down to the store and buy some"
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    needless to say the radio host ripped him a new one
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    Wawaaaaaaaaa!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Wawa is a Native American word for wild geese.

Wawa's are convenience stores, some have gas stations attached. The can be found from NJ to Ohio, some in southern NY too and as far south as northern Virginia in some spots.

For all of you bagging on the name and the store, you're foolish. No other convenience store comes close to the awesomeness of a Wawa. Every time I go on travel, I get angry at the town I am in because they do not have a Wawa.

Wawa's are usually open 24 hours and you can walk in there with 5 or 6 bucks and walk out with a meal. Wawa is also one of the best places to get Tastykakes and Entemann's products. More items that those of us in the PA, NJ, DE and MD areas have been accustomed to that the rest of the world doesn't know.

If Wawa sold beer, I'd park a motor home in the parking lot and live there. They are that awesome.

Don't knock the Wawa, man.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    we have sheetz around my area. much like a wawa but i think i like wawas better
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2008
    Budweiser beer factory has similar story which is also in NJ ironically....I was told the horror stories of cleaning the filters for the beer factory...they use chlorine to clean the filters. Ones used to clean the bathroom and stuff…nasty:mad:

I mean they do get free beer but no one really drinks any their own beer
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Oh and about Hydrogen iodide:

From Wikipedia:
    Hydrogen iodide (HI) is a diatomic molecule. Aqueous solutions of HI are known as hydroiodic acid or hydriodic acid, a strong acid. Hydrogen iodide and hydroiodic acid are, however, different in that the former is a gas under standard conditions; whereas, the other is an aqueous solution of said gas. They are interconvertible. HI is used in organic and inorganic synthesis as one of the primary sources of iodine and as a reducing agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroiodic_acid

Essentially what that means is that the HI Chemical Wash that bigaudiofanatic is complaining about has a natural gaseous state. That means that for it to be a liquid, it either has to be under pressure or in an aqueous solution.

Aqueous solutions again from Wikipedia:
    An aqueous solution is a solution in which the solvent is water. It is usually shown in chemical equations by appending (aq) to the relevant formula. The word aqueous means pertaining to, related to, similar to, or dissolved in water. As water is an excellent solvent as well as naturally abundant, it logically has become a ubiquitous solvent in chemistry.

So essentially, if the chemical wash does not have an aq after the chemical name, it is just a gas, pressurized. If that is the case, it likely evaporates long before any milk or other substance hits it. If it is an aqueous solution, rinsing will have little effect beside diluting the mixture further and would honestly be a waste of time. You could use a detergent to break the surface tension of the water to help remove the acid but then you have to find a detergent that won't react and you'll also have to worry about throughly rinsing that out too which adds cost and complexity for minimal benefit to the process.

However, more from Wikipedia about Hydrogen Iodide:
    HI is a colorless gas that reacts with oxygen to give water and iodine. With moist air, HI gives a mist (or fumes) of hydroiodic acid. It is exceptionally soluble in water, giving hydroiodic acid. One liter of water will dissolve 425 liters of HI, the final solution having only four water molecules per molecule of HI.

What this essentially means is that the HI gas, once it hits oxygen, forms water, harmless stuff honestly and iodine which is found in lots of stuff and honestly not that bad for you at all in such small amounts. But the aqueous solution becomes dilute if the ratio exceeds 4 water molecules to 1 HI molecule. Meaning 5 or more water molecules to 1 HI, will drastically reduce the acid's potency.

So there are the facts. Be appalled if you want or don't be. HI Chemical Washes are used in lots of places for not only manufacturing but also food processing and such. I doubt that the milk in those containers is unsafe to drink and I'll bet that if you did some research, you'd see that quite a few dairies use the same kinds of wash as the dairy that packages the milk in question. It's not uncommon at all.

Am I the only one that paid attention in chemistry class?

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    devani wrote: »
    Budweiser beer factory has similar story which is also in NJ ironically....I was told the horror stories of cleaning the filters for the beer factory...they use chlorine to clean the filters. Ones used to clean the bathroom and stuff…nasty:mad:

Bud Lite has less calories and less chlorines...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    devani wrote: »

Do the horror stories ever mention that the filters are ionized and part of the cleaning process is to restore the ionization? Restoring the ionization can be done by washing the filters with an ionized liquid like, say, chlorine. Which is also a disinfectant and sanitizer.

You ever go swimming in a swimming pool? Ever get water up your nose or accidentally suck down a big mouthful? Yeah, you probably got more chlorine in your system from doing that than you ever did from drinking Budweiser for years.

• AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    my brain hurts
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2008
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Wawa sammiches are amazing. That is all.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2008
    WaWa has great coffee!
    Carl

• CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    wawa USED TO BE the best place on earth, because they used to have hot grills and you could get the meanest ****'ing sausage egg and cheese on planet earth.

in college we had one across campus and we used to make pledges go walk and get us them. When I was a pledge and had to go get them at 3am, we used to buy two for ourselves with the brothers money and eat one on the way back to the house and then enjoy another tasty treat once we got there... ahh that was when I was drunk stupid and happy..
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    wawa USED TO BE the best place on earth, because they used to have hot grills and you could get the meanest ****'ing sausage egg and cheese on planet earth.

in college we had one across campus and we used to make pledges go walk and get us them. When I was a pledge and had to go get them at 3am, we used to buy two for ourselves with the brothers money and eat one on the way back to the house and then enjoy another tasty treat once we got there... ahh that was when I was drunk stupid and happy..

You don't know what you're talking about. Wawa still does have hot grilles and you can get all kinds of sammiches from them. My favorite is the roasted pork on a torpedo roll with provolone and roaster peppers. That's a slammin' sammich!

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited March 2008
    we have sheetz around my area. much like a wawa but i think i like wawas better

I got the sheetz after eating a hot dog from there.....
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited March 2008
    Jstas, you can't learn everything from Wikipedia. Acids leave residues, regardless of whether they say aq or not. Sulfuric acid is never referred to as aq, but I can tell you from many years of experience in the chemical industry, it leaves behind sulfate crystals. Same with phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, caustic soda, nitric acid, chromic acid, acetic acid and many others that I've worked with for years.

None of this really matters because acids are natural inorganic atoms in solution. They are not poisonous unless they are concentrated enough to cause tissue damage. Acids are used in the food industry every day to preserve, adjust pH, or add to the flavor. The Beverage industry alone is one of the biggest users of phosphoric acid.

Acid left behind in milk bottles would not worry me in the least.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    That doesn't surprise me or worry me. Gas tankers used to fill the rig up with gas and then empty out. Next load was a dairy farm to be filled up with milk. No washing, it was referred to as PPM.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me or worry me. Gas tankers used to fill the rig up with gas and then empty out. Next load was a dairy farm to be filled up with milk. No washing, it was referred to as PPM.

Be interesting if they mixed the two up and poured the milk into the gas tank in the ground :)

I could just see people filling their tanks wtih a nasty milk/gas mix. :p:o
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    Jstas, you can't learn everything from Wikipedia. Acids leave residues, regardless of whether they say aq or not. Sulfuric acid is never referred to as aq, but I can tell you from many years of experience in the chemical industry, it leaves behind sulfate crystals. Same with phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, caustic soda, nitric acid, chromic acid, acetic acid and many others that I've worked with for years.

None of this really matters because acids are natural inorganic atoms in solution. They are not poisonous unless they are concentrated enough to cause tissue damage. Acids are used in the food industry every day to preserve, adjust pH, or add to the flavor. The Beverage industry alone is one of the biggest users of phosphoric acid.

Acid left behind in milk bottles would not worry me in the least.

OK, so you didn't say anything I didn't already say.

On top of that, I didn't learn it from Wikipedia. I used Wikipedia as a reference to make my point. I learned it in high school and college chemistry.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    OK, so you didn't say anything I didn't already say.

No, I said that you were incorrect about the "aq" thing. Most acids will never be referred to as an aqueous solution. That is typically used to describe crystalline compounds that are dissolved in water solution. Things like salt, copper sulfate, potassium nitrate, etc.

My point was that acids leave residue and they very rarely just evaporate. Most are hygroscopic, so they absorb moisture from the atmosphere rather than evaporate it.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...