Boom chaka laka yah.

2»

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    For a brief second im going to pretend im a thief who actualy wants to rip someone off and yoink some car audio gear.... im sorry im not walking up to a 1994 astro van with blue carpet and expecting to find "the best ive ever heard type of gear" i really doubt that if someone planned on taking your stuff... they are gonna say "o ****, what an ugly install, lets go check and see if the sl500 has anything more worth taking".... if they want to take your stuff they are going to, no matter how ugly the install is. if u have seats and crap it in... u could easily make a stealth amp setup and hide your speakers away pretty damn well.

when i first looked at this i thought it was a joke, especially because of the title... but if it makes u happy. congrats... but honestly what response were u looking to get?

Dude this is Ft Lauderdale. Ask wingnut about down here. You wouldn't expect broke looking people to be robbed either, but this is the crappiest place (in places) that I have ever seen. You will get your window smashed out if someone can see some change in the cup holder. People get shot over $20 at the ATM all the time. It is a stinken crap hole down here, and I am leaving;):)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    $388?! OK, you got me on that one. I didnt realize you bought everything used or whatever. So no, you couldnt have done it cheaper but just for arguments sake, for well under $1000 you could have a system 10 times better.

As for the space that couldve been saved, pretty much most of it. A single 12" sub in a sealed box wouldve had plenty of output unless youre going for max SPL and fit in the corner nice and out of the way. Amp rack couldve been mounted under the rear seats (assuming you have them) and the front stage speakers couldve gone in the stock locations. Done right, it wouldve sounded 10 times better than what you have now and you wouldnt be able to see anything but the CD player so what better for theft deterrent.

I prefer the stealth looking systems to where you get in and see pretty much nothing.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Mac I am in the same state of mind being a little older now. What do you recommend for a pair of 10's on the cheap. I like hard hitting tigh fast bass. BTW I was with CoderJedi (Mike)today trying to sell his subs to get 4 10" kicker comps. He is not toally oblivious to the fact he has super loud rap bass. It does hit real hard, but is not what he is looking for.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    If he's looking for more SQ, tight controlled bass, how about a single 12 with a lot of power. Wont shake the windows out but itll sound better musically.

As for a set of 10's cheap, well it depends on how cheap you want them. Most quality 10's will run you around $80 retail. I really like MTX subs. Nearly indestructible, has plenty of output and sounds good too. I also really like the new Polk DB line of subs.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    I had a pair of Polk 10's about 20 years ago in a sealed box, and they had the best SQ I have heard. It was teamed with an Apline headunit 7980?, a Nacamichi XO, a Nacamichi mono amp(220), Alpine amp, A/D/S PQ10, and the A/D/S 320i's. So well matched, and balenced.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    Ive got a single Momo 10 in a sealed box with a mere 300 watts and it sounds great. Not super loud but blends very well with the mids and images up front nicely.

• ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Wattage numbers do not appeal to me. Especial with the amps I have seen in the last 5-10 years. I have Alpine 6x9s in the rear now, and was going to put the ADS in the front. Run them at a whopping 35wpc(ADS PQ10), and be extremely happy with them. I might even disable the 6x9's tweeter. I like my sound stage in front of me;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    I dunno dude. Power makes a system.

When youre listening to some rock with plenty of screeching guitars, you dont need a lot of power to reach ear splitting levels but stick in some nice smooth jazz and youll see that you can quickly run out of power long before it gets to a reference level. Im in that boat right now. I need at least double the current power Im at now.

• ben62670
    edited March 2008
    I haven't had my system running in years. I used to listen to hard rock mostly. Know that I have been introduced to HiFi I have changed my taste dramatically. I think my PQ-10 will be fine. My Nac was very tight. I do also have an LA sound amp. Don't laugh. It was their top of the line amp they had to try to get your attention away from all the other crap they put out. It is 1200 at 2ohms, and .5ohm stable. 4 30amp fuses. If I feel the need its there, but I really don't think I will. My vision went blurry during hard bass notes with it.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2008
    Ok, take this as constructive.

First, you need better grounds. A battery is not a ground. Those amps AND the battery all need to be grounded to the chassis or closest point of chassis. Again, do not use the ground on the battery for the amps.

Second, thats not an amp rack, thats a sheet of wood with components screwed into it. Build a box with 2-3" of space inbetween, sort of just a rise from what you have now, space the amps out, drill holes for your wiring and run them through there. It will look so much better, and a clean install is the point.

Third, get rid of the cap, as it is now your poor, poor alternator is having to charge 3 batteries 3 amps and an inverter, way too much stuff on a stock alt which i presume you are using. Also get some tubing and rig a way to vent that battery, its not made for inside your cab, there are other's that are but if thats a straight starter battery, it will vent.

Fourth, take that awful looking box for your mids and highs off of the sub box, you probably have a shitload of standing waves back there, which is why im guessing they dont sound good..

Fifth, if you want to do this right, wire the big three. It will help with your charging system and that will trickle down to your audio, since more than anything we are talking about power.

Im not going to rag on your setup, i dont see the need as ive seen plently worse, but there is no excuse not to atleast install it properly, no matter how small the budget.

Also if youre not looking for major spl, one of those 15's will give you more than you need, as long as it's setup properly. Going with 4 10's is not a guarantee that you will get good sound quality either, as I've said and many, many, many others have also, its all in the box.

Not to mention if you are looking for sound quality you will have to find a proper place for your mids/highs, firing behind you into glass, carpet, plastic etc is not the way to do it. Go to a lexus dealership and take a look at one with a Mark Levinson system in it and look for backwards firing components, you wont find em.

Thats about all I can say with seeing the pic, if I saw it in person I think I would be able to offer more. And again this isnt to rag, but as you asked in your original post, this is what i think.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2008
    Let me add after looking again I believe the point of view is from the sliding side door, and not from the back as I originally thought.

Because of that my 4th point should be a bit null, and let me advise on removing all of the polyfill and turn the box backwards into the rear of the van, or try them firing up if the rattles bother you too much, but they shouldnt be firing forward. And the polyfill will make your subs think they are in larger boxes, removing it should tighten your bass up a bit.

Again I would remove the mid/high enclosure's and work on some kick panels and play with tweeter placement UP FRONT to get a good soundstage. Mids and highs firing from behind you will not sound good vs. proper placement.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    u know, 1 thing u could try is to make a box for all those components under the first row of seats, and angle it up at about a 45 degree angle, this way they will be positioned much better, not attached to the sub box, and hidden. amp rack can be under the next row of seats, yet again hidden, and the sub box in the last row.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2008
    Give Alpine Type Rs a try, Im in the middle of installing 2 15s in the Escalade, I will follow up with pics, after its done tomorrow.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580