Boom chaka laka yah.

coderjedi
coderjedi Posts: 8
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
What do you think?
May the Decibel be with you, young padawan.
Post edited by coderjedi on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2008
    What's that in an Astro van?

I think that having a battery inside the passenger compartment is a ad idea. As they discharge, they will vent toxic gases that you defiantly do not want to be breathing.

I also hope that you have those subs isolated from the rest of the speakers in your setup there otherwise you'd just going to pummel those other drivers with the backwaves from the subs.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    coderjedi wrote: »
    What do you think?

LOL, Giggle Giggle
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Well, since you asked....I don't like it at all. Looks ghetto, which, interestingly enough, seems to match the interior of the vehicle.

I don't get the point of having all those drivers back there. Or the battery in the car. Or that unfinished amp rack. Or all the different brands of amps strewn out there. And I wouldn't think rear visibility would be too good.

But I guess it all depends on what it is you're going for.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    soccer mom has some tunes in her car now. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    That's the back of Jesse's bang bus.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited March 2008
    how embarassing the sad part is hes proud of it. whats the dc to ac converter for?
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2008
    You guys are ruthless! ;)

It looks to me like the two cabinets are separated since they're strapped together with metal plates but yes, otherwise those drivers would get mauled by the subs.

I didn't know about the battery problem. That's a good tip. Does that go for all car batteries? How do the SPL competition cars handle the fumes when they have banks of batteries?
  • coderjedi
    edited March 2008
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Well, since you asked....I don't like it at all. Looks ghetto, which, interestingly enough, seems to match the interior of the vehicle.

I don't think it looks that ghetto. Short of hundreds of dollars into fiberglassing and a few weeks of work, it isn't going to get much better than that..
    I don't get the point of having all those drivers back there.

Because I like the sound of the polk speakers. I was lucky enough to have some given to me in trade for some work, and I built a nice box for them and now I have sound far superior to any car audio system I've heard yet.
    Or the battery in the car.

I need the second battery because I do not like to drain my starter battery when I choose to listen to my music for extended periods of time with the engine off. Why is it in the vehicle? So I don't have a 18' run of wire between my power source and my equipment, resulting in an unstable power source. Oh and there's no room under the hood. As for these "toxic gases" I have yet to experience them. Admittedly I currently have a standard starter battery, but I would like to buy a nice 12v 100AH or so SLA when I get the money, like this guy here http://www.batterywholesale.com/battery-store/proddetail.html?prodID=243
    Or that unfinished amp rack.

The amp rack is not unfinished. It's quite finished. What do you see missing?
    Or all the different brands of amps strewn out there.

In my opinion, JBL does not make good full range amplifiers. They do however build very clean subwoofer amplifiers. I chose the BP1200.1, with a frequency response of 10-320Hz, THD of 0.10% and SNR of >90dB. And it does all this at 1200 watts continuous power.

I chose Alpine amplifiers for my "mids and highs" because I got them for a good deal at a pawn shop, and couldn't afford to buy what I would like to buy, but they sounded the best out of the other 40 or so brands they had.

Even if I did have the money to buy exactly what I wanted, I still wouldn't have all my amplifiers and other equipment from the same manufacturer. I think audio manufacturers are just like restaurants. Some restaurants have great burgers, but their barbecue tastes like garbage. Go across the street and they have good barbecue, but crappy burgers. I think everyone can agree with me on that.
    And I wouldn't think rear visibility would be too good.

Visibility is fine actually. I can clearly see out of my entire back window with the installation as is.

The best sound possible for my minimal budget. I've acheived that.
  • coderjedi
    edited March 2008
    Oh, and about the rear drivers being "mauled" by the subs. Not at all. I actually keep the subwoofers at minimal gain, just enough to get a nice kick when the drums hit. I usually listen to nothing but Metallica, but lately I've included Nine Inch Nails and Rammstein into my listening.

Aside from that, the only time I ever turn my subs beyond maybe 10% gain is when the hordes of teenagers with Sony Xplod 12s purchased from walmart pull up next to me at redlights and try to drown out my lovely musical bliss with their rubber band rattles. But then they get hammered by Bass Mekanik's techno babble bass.

I must admit though.. the 15's were a bad choice. I wanted them because I've never done an install with 15's before, and I wanted to see what they would sound like. However after having built a 12^3ft. vented enclosure tuned to approx. 35Hz, followed by a 3^3ft. sealed enclosure, with uber bracing and sufficient poly-fill, I am still not happy with the sound. It's slow and sloppy. I am trading my 2 15" for 4 10" subs tomorrow, and building a 4^3ft. sealed enclosure for them, which will bring my entire setup down about 6 more inches. Ideally I would like to have the top no higher than the bottom of the side windows, but I'm not sure if i'll get that.

What are you all suggesting, though? Do you think I should have my subs facing the rear? The problem with that is it just rattles stuff when I have them facing to the rear, and sound quality goes out the window (literally). I really do not notice any difference in the sound with the subs on or off, except for the super low bass or lack thereof, of course. The 4 6.5" drivers actually get down to 30Hz just fine on their own.
  • Dakota_chevy
    Dakota_chevy Posts: 16
    edited March 2008

I don't get the point of having all those drivers back there. Or the battery in the car. Or that unfinished amp rack. Or all the different brands of amps strewn out there. And I wouldn't think rear visibility would be too good.

definitely ghetto looking. I can understand where some would want good sound over looks, but the amp rack looks like its on a sheet of plywood, the boxes look like they were thrown together quickly, and all the wires look like a mess. sorta like a cleanup after a concert.
    2000 Chevy Blazer
    db212-2
  • michael_w
    edited March 2008
    Oh, and about the rear drivers being "mauled" by the subs. Not at all. I actually keep the subwoofers at minimal gain, just enough to get a nice kick when the drums hit.

Do the subs share the same cabinet space as the other drivers do? It's just a matter of the subs pushing around a lot of air in comparison to the mids. They create a lot of extra pressure in the cabinet that can affect the mids.

Good luck with the four 10's and feel free to post pics of the build here!

If you like how it sounds and you're generally happy with it, more power to you. I'm a little surprised to see it get bashed this badly. Did I mention welcome to the forum? Stick around, there's a lot of very helpful people and information here (after you wade through the negative comments).
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    I am Mike's friend, and helped him with this ghetto build, and highly recommend a ghetto build where we live. The boxes are actually very well constructed. screws, adhesives, and braced. The top speakers are actually Polk MW6510's with seas speakers. There are 4 chambers. 2 in each box. Battery in the vehicle is a good idea. He has a battery isolator. The inverter is for **** :-). Just kidding. It is used for charging anything from phone, laptop, shop light, his FN disco ball. What ever you wish you could plug in when ever you are far from an outlet, or are going down the road.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    I don't think it looks that ghetto. Short of hundreds of dollars into fiberglassing and a few weeks of work, it isn't going to get much better than that..
    ....and now I have sound far superior to any car audio system I've heard yet.
    I need the second battery because I do not like to drain my starter battery when I choose to listen to my music for extended periods of time with the engine off. Why is it in the vehicle? So I don't have a 18' run of wire between my power source and my equipment, resulting in an unstable power source.
    In my opinion, JBL does not make good full range amplifiers. They do however build very clean subwoofer amplifiers.
    I chose Alpine amplifiers for my "mids and highs" because I got them for a good deal at a pawn shop, and couldn't afford to buy what I would like to buy, but they sounded the best out of the other 40 or so brands they had.
    Even if I did have the money to buy exactly what I wanted, I still wouldn't have all my amplifiers and other equipment from the same manufacturer. I think audio manufacturers are just like restaurants. Some restaurants have great burgers, but their barbecue tastes like garbage. Go across the street and they have good barbecue, but crappy burgers. I think everyone can agree with me on that.
    The best sound possible for my minimal budget. I've acheived that.

Um....wow. Just........wow. sad-smiley-028.gif

As SPL setups go, Ive seen worse. But the best car audio system youve ever heard?!?!?!?!

If youre happy with it then F what anybody else thinks - but you need to realize that is an extremely ghetto system and that you couldve gotten a much better sounding system for less money and with the proper install you couldve salvaged most of the space inside the van and also that pretty much all your reasoning above is just wrong. But again, if youre happy, then thats all that matters.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    michael_w wrote: »
    You guys are ruthless! ;)

It looks to me like the two cabinets are separated since they're strapped together with metal plates but yes, otherwise those drivers would get mauled by the subs.

I didn't know about the battery problem. That's a good tip. Does that go for all car batteries? How do the SPL competition cars handle the fumes when they have banks of batteries?

Theyre probably sealed batteries, besides the fact that most SPL cars are not daily driven so youre not exposed to the fumes for extended amounts of time.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eloplayspolo
    edited March 2008
    Ahahhahahahahahahaahahah
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Theyre probably sealed batteries, besides the fact that most SPL cars are not daily driven so youre not exposed to the fumes for extended amounts of time.
    -Cody

Dude, even "sealed" batteries will vent fumes. I can guarantee it. Especially if the battery has corroded terminals.

I seriously would have put it under the hood or at least sealed that battery box up and put a vent tube leading outside the vehicle.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    I have seen more than one car in my life that has the battery inside the vehicle. Like my dads Vette, some older jeeps, and my buddy says they are in some European cars. I'm not too concerned.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • eloplayspolo
    edited March 2008
    vette = convertable? jeep as in wrangler ? with no top? most of the cars u see with batteries are in the trunk....
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Ummm both vehicles you listed have hard tops too. Most cars have the batteries under a nice hot hood. I had a battery in the rear, and front of my Bronco for the winch, and stereo system. No problems. Sealed maintenance free. Tin foil hats work great if you are concerned about it:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    Your example is wrong......a polk amp 300.2, 500.1, 400.4, etc will all 'sound' the same.......as they should since they're all 'burgers'......

Your comparison makes sense if you're talking about trying to mesh a Polk amp, a JBL amp, etc together.........THEN you will have problems matching your sound from your various speakers.....

And if you need that explained any further, you're screwed.........sorry......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited March 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Your example is wrong......a polk amp 300.2, 500.1, 400.4, etc will all 'sound' the same.......as they should since they're all 'burgers'......

Your comparison makes sense if you're talking about trying to mesh a Polk amp, a JBL amp, etc together.........THEN you will have problems matching your sound from your various speakers.....

And if you need that explained any further, you're screwed.........sorry......

:p lol <3 this place sometimes.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Yes there are cars that have the battery inside but it would either be in the trunk and vented or under the backseat and vented. See the similarity.

As far as what I think. If you like it cool. Not my cup of tea. I prefer for the system to be either more integrated or at the very least very neat. The metal straps don't work for me. The amp board that looks like MDF or plywood uncovered doeasn't work for me. And the fact you lost all the rear seating to do this doesn't work for me.

I can guess that it should sound good. You have some nice stuff in there. I just don't like the execution.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited March 2008
    The top set of speakers, which I'm guessing are subs, mids and highs look like a set of house speakers.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    They are from polk house speakers. From what Ben posted they are Polk MW6510's with seas speakers.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    The rear seat actually fits in there. The tweets are kinda centered to be clear of the seats. Ghetto look/good sound is what he was going for. The mixing amp thing is a dumb a thing I have heard. The top box is basically a monitor 10 with Sea's tweets. These were a bad run from sea's, and the voice coil wire breaks in these. He will be getting Morel's. The amp board makes no sense to me. The ghetto look is to keep people from breaking into the van. I would have built an amp box with exhaust fans. I really hate all that **** led crap:confused: He didn't put that on there, but manufacturers seam to like to give the kiddies something shinny, and glowing to look at:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    Yes there are cars that have the battery inside but it would either be in the trunk and vented or under the backseat and vented. See the similarity.

As far as what I think. If you like it cool. Not my cup of tea. I prefer for the system to be either more integrated or at the very least very neat. The metal straps don't work for me. The amp board that looks like MDF or plywood uncovered doeasn't work for me. And the fact you lost all the rear seating to do this doesn't work for me.

I can guess that it should sound good. You have some nice stuff in there. I just don't like the execution.

Yeah I am with you on this one. He is 21, and I have been there(almost), but I like my A/D/S 320's, and 325i's hidden. Alpine head unit, Nachamichi XO, A/D/S PQ10. I don't have, but want one, or 2, or 4:D sealed 10's in the trunk. I'm not into an SPL competition with anyone, and I like to be able to hear horns, and sirens. Loud is for home, and not driving. Shoot I'm getting old:o
    Thanks
    Ben
  • michael_w
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the battery information. I never really gave it thought since mine is under my back seat (stock location).
  • coderjedi
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Um....wow. Just........wow. sad-smiley-028.gif

As SPL setups go, Ive seen worse. But the best car audio system youve ever heard?!?!?!?!

If youre happy with it then F what anybody else thinks - but you need to realize that is an extremely ghetto system and that you couldve gotten a much better sounding system for less money and with the proper install you couldve salvaged most of the space inside the van and also that pretty much all your reasoning above is just wrong. But again, if youre happy, then thats all that matters.

1. It's not an SPL setup in the least. I have no SPL what so ever anymore. I did when I had a 12^3ft vented enclosure for the subs, facing the rear.. but I didn't like it, and it wasn't what I wanted, which is why I built the new 3^3ft sealed enclosure as seen in the picture.

2. It's not extremely ghetto, and to whomever said they look like they were cheaply/quickly thrown together... uhm, no. I spent almost 8 hours on EACH box. It would be hard to build a better box in my opinion. I used to go through all the trouble of covering boxes with felt or other materials, but I just don't see the point anymore. It's just hours of work for nothing, nobody cares, and besides..the nicer it looks, the more chance someone will try to break in and steal it. As for the metal straps, I have no other choice, really. How else are you going to keep that much weight with the combined height and little depth from flying forward? Also, my seats fit just fine, thanks. Sorry I left them out to install it, I definitely should try to install with seats in the way next time. :-\

3. For less money? I have invested a total of $388 into the entire system as seen. Please tell me how I could have spent less, considering people spend more buying crap systems at WalMart.

4. More space. I don't see how you think this is so large.. From front to rear the entire amp rack and speaker boxes is no more than 3'. I still have the whole second row seating and about a 1-1/2' behind the boxes.

5.Happy? yes. very much.

6. Thanks for the 'nice' comments, as for the rest of you, you suck. Haha.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited March 2008
    For a brief second im going to pretend im a thief who actualy wants to rip someone off and yoink some car audio gear.... im sorry im not walking up to a 1994 astro van with blue carpet and expecting to find "the best ive ever heard type of gear" i really doubt that if someone planned on taking your stuff... they are gonna say "o ****, what an ugly install, lets go check and see if the sl500 has anything more worth taking".... if they want to take your stuff they are going to, no matter how ugly the install is. if u have seats and crap it in... u could easily make a stealth amp setup and hide your speakers away pretty damn well.

when i first looked at this i thought it was a joke, especially because of the title... but if it makes u happy. congrats... but honestly what response were u looking to get?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2008
    Looks like 1984 all over again! :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.