I Grow Weary...

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I think you fellas and ladies (lady?:)) know I am a good sport. I am not one to complain or gripe and I am certainly not one to infringe upon anyone's enjoyment of the First Amendment but...

I grow weary. This forum has really changed a lot in the past year or so and it's pretty much lost whatever couth and decorum it had (yes it had some) to the extent that I really find myself not wanting to contribute anymore.

I really don't want to read about anyone's furry nuts , or pink meat or whose gonna get a BJ or not. Those are just recent examples. There have just been too many recently to mention..

I am not a prude by any means. I TOTALLY defended the TBT. It was what it was and you knew it going in and it was pretty well self monitored....for the most part..and we should still have it.

AND I am not espousing any 'it's degrading to women BS' (although there is that) nor am I going to blame CP for domestic violence or any other nonsense. It's just a question of respect maybe? Manners? I don't know.

I can only speak for me but as one of the FEW women into audio that post here..(and maybe I am starting to see why that is) that's how it is for me right now.
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Well if I wrote any of that rot you have my apologies and I'll try to keep it out of the gutter from now on.

BTW you are a great sport!
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    Valid points. Hope everyone is paying attention.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited March 2008
    Bravo!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Please don't go Darla. You are one of the sane one's around here, plus, it's nice to have a lady aboard....let alone an officer. How cool is that? Then add to the fact, that you are deeply into audio and you share your experiences? We should be honored with your presence. I don't speak for the forum, I speak for myself. I could only hope that the gentlemen of this forum rise above what has crossed the line and caused you to feel the way you do.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    If you don't like what's posted, report to moderator...pretty simple. Otherwise you must condone it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    ~ Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. ~

After all is said and done, it's just words written on an internet forum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    If you don't like what's posted, report to moderator...pretty simple. Otherwise you must condone it.
    Including Yashu? :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    You're right, Wing. Some of the posts about Scarlett Johannson was gutter talk.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    ~

IF that were true, the moderation of this forum would not have become so PC.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    The moderation of this forum is a direct reflection of its membership.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    The moderation of this forum is a direct reflection on its membership.

I think its more a reflection of a small minority of PC whiners that threaten lawsuits to help save the world of evil doers for self gratification that they actually made someone listen to them. I can think of two.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Please don't go Darla. You are one of the sane one's around here, plus, it's nice to have a lady aboard....let alone an officer. How cool is that? Then add to the fact, that you are deeply into audio and you share your experiences? We should be honored with your presence. I don't speak for the forum, I speak for myself. I could only hope that the gentlemen of this forum rise above what has crossed the line and caused you to feel the way you do.
    F1nut wrote: »
    ~ Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. ~

The moderation of this forum is a direct reflection on its membership.

Thank you Treitz. That's very sweet. It's not my imagination though, it has gotten nuts.

If I wanted to report every post it would be a lot! I am not a Narc either (although I did report one - a new guy :p). I don't want to get anyone banned or in trouble and if the CP consensus thinks that it's ok then that's fine. (1st Amendment and all) I am just exercising my right to change the channel.

I don't want to PO anyone or start anything profound. I am not the PC police. Just sayin' what I feel. I love Club Polk and all of (well almost all!) of it's contributors. It has just changed. A lot. I know I can't be the only one who has noticed...?

You guys know I like a good laugh. Even if it's off color or not PC. There just seems to be a line that gets crossed a lot lately and if I have to explain or describe what and where that line is well then I guess it's just my problem so carry on.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I apologize. I think it was my post that started the ball rolling.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2008
    Darla, before you decide to throw in the towel...remember how you shared your personal life with us, you asked for our prayers & donations for your fellow officer who was battling cancer. You did that because you thought of us as part of your family & that you could count on us. I think we came thru as only friends & family can. I believe a large majority of us still feel that way. You have contributed so much to call it quits now.

Sure the forum went astray there for a bit, (a couple of yah-hoos can sure put a damper on things) but it's Polkie's like you that help keep it together. It's still a great place to visit & hang out. Hey, I like to stir the pot up myself...all in good fun mind you.

So stick around & get back in the forum fun. Start by starting another TBT thread, that'll kick things up a bit!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Its actually one of the tamest forums I have ever participated on...and your mentioning it becoming worse in recent times I think is incorrect.

I had been lurking here for years before becoming an active member , as well as looking at threads in the Hall of shame ...if anything the place has cleaned up.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2008
    I remember when my grandfather passed and I was walking with my father in my grandparent's neighborhood in Milwaukee, one of the neighbors came up and said to me "We will miss him, he was always such a gentleman." That stuck with me and I always thought a guy could do much worse than be remembered by his casual acquaintances as a gentleman.

When I first got into chat channels and forums (and I have been moderator and sysadmin), I found myself posting things that I would never have said in person under the "power" of anonymity and the viewpoint that it was all just words and didn't really mean anything, but the fact is that words do have power and the rationalization that it's the internet shouldn't be used as an excuse for boorish behavior.

Most everything here is offered in good fun and taken that way, but there are lines of common decency that ppl cross. It may be a thin line, and somewhat subjective, but it is not invisible.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2008

I think that just the problem, being in business someone doesn't wish to offend anyone so what happens threads or feeling of a board can please 10000 but piss 1 off. Report that 1 to moderator and thats it, its over.

Think about guys and gals we're losing this county in pleasing everyone. Some can see this everyday some can't but mark my words we are. :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    edited March 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Think about guys and gals we're losing this county in pleasing everyone. Some can see this everyday some can't but mark my words we are. :(
    Losing this country to PC is one thing Joe. Being gentlemen on a forum of diversity including women is another. Two separate things.

Here we have a case that a line has been crossed. Man law would probably agree. Be gentlemen, I believe that's what she's asking. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. That's my take.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2008
    Tom, not my point the closing of treads TBT, and others to please a few or less. That in my mind as changed this board and if fixed today will take months or years to return to what it was.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    edited March 2008
    I don't think this forum will ever be what it was Joe. That's a shame, but a reality unfortunately. When a respected senior member of this forum speaks of discomforting reading that as gentlemen, should be respected IMO, then the members of this forum should take note. I don't want to offend anyone on this forum, as that is not my intention. However, I don't think it's too much to ask the men of this forum to type [act] as gentlemen.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2008
    Darla, before you decide to throw in the towel...remember how you shared your personal life with us, you asked for our prayers & donations for your fellow officer who was battling cancer. You did that because you thought of us as part of your family & that you could count on us. I think we came thru as only friends & family can. I believe a large majority of us still feel that way. You have contributed so much to call it quits now.

Sure the forum went astray there for a bit, (a couple of yah-hoos can sure put a damper on things) but it's Polkie's like you that help keep it together. It's still a great place to visit & hang out. Hey, I like to stir the pot up myself...all in good fun mind you.

So stick around & get back in the forum fun. Start by starting another TBT thread, that'll kick things up a bit!!!

THIS IS A DIRECT REFLECTION OF CLUB POLK MEMBERSHIP!!!!! This is what we are, not a bunch of PC whinners. . . low life idiots sometimes but not PC'rs.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the feedback Darla. I've been guilty of some less than tasteful remarks. For my part, I'm sorry if I offended you or any other member. The Forum take on the character of the masses. It some instance we've gone over the edge and engaged in some "one oneupmanship" in certain remarks.

Some of the ugly remarks that I made are really parts of my immaturity, and at my age, it just shouldn't happen as I know better. Quite frankly, a lot of what gets posted on this Forum would get edited and removed with stern warnings from the moderators. You don't see a lot of posts about hot women, sexually explicit remarks, pictures, etc. on AK, Steve Hoffman, Audio Circles, Audioholics, etc. I'm surprised the taste full babe thread lasted as long as it did. Polk has a reputation to maintain in the consumer products world, and I don't think they wanted to be put in the same business category as "Outlaw Biker" of some other sexploitation publications.

I think Polk is trying to up the Forum image and we should embrace their efforts as this Forum should be a place for members to talk about audio, music, audio equipment, researching and collecting information. Having some courteous technical debates, offering products for sale or trade. But most of all, just to make good friends and having fun with the hobby.

I can go to many sites to enjoy tasteless jokes, great pictures of nude people, etc. It's awkward for the Polk Company, and out of place here. Polk is a fine company, with quality products and a public image to maintain. Pictures of sexually explicit and suggestive words, photographs and crude discussions have no place in this business.

I have had many employees report to me over the years. Quite frankly I would have engaged our HR department to investigate and discipline employees posting some of these remarks and photos on our email servers, or worse yet, the public website that have similar content and media posted here. I suspect many of you work for companies that would have done the same.

I politely apologize for any remarks I made that may have offended any of you.

Last and not least. This is a not governed and protected by any "Freedom of the Speech" Articles in the Constitution. This is a business Forum. Take you ACLU banner and fly it elsewhere.
    Carl

• treitz3
    edited March 2008
    http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=IF0EAAAAYAAJ&dq=gentleman's+ettiquite&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=20hV8Nxwjv&sig=rtuBkmAwls7fF9r9ZFHCsqcMVCw#PPP2,M1

Click on to the above link. Read it before you post. If you are lazy, read the topics and the first sentences thereof. Then post. Really, try it.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2008
    Great remarks in your reference Tom. Thanks!

Carl
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    edited March 2008
    I don't want to turn CP into a tea totaling convention. I like fun. I even like off color fun!:) I am just asking if we could use some better judgement sometimes and remember that there are ladies (and me!:D) who are here as well. I know that if some of you thought that your sisters or mothers or wives were reading it might be a little different.

And Joe, I agree wholeheartedly. CP has been a friend to me in my time of sorrow, happiness and craziness. If it were not important to me, I would have said nothing.

Schwarcw,
    Thanks. I don't really recall specific posters (well maybe a couple) I am just speaking generally.

The Scarlett thread may have pushed me over the edge tonight.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2008
    How did the beans get above the frank?
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2008
    PolkThug wrote: »
    How did the beans get above the frank?

I don't know...handstand?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    I'll be right back; need to go check that Scarlett thread :eek::eek:;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Back now; Darla, you are right, and I am sure this thread will make many of us think twice before we post some of that stuff. Good call.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • treitz3
    edited March 2008
    CP has been a friend to me in my time of sorrow, happiness and craziness. If it were not important to me, I would have said nothing.
    'Nuff said....Please read this thread before you post.