please help, annoying computer virus

2»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2008
    My "How do you know?" question was in regards to your statement of knowing what's specifically going on with someones comptuer over the forum. It could be as simple as adware or it could be something more serious.

The only reason this turned into a debate is because someone had to get on their high horse and make some dickheaded comments about a differing opinion.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    MKZ wrote: »
    If you don't know what you are doing please let somebody do it for you.

Which is why a lot of times a fresh install is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest.

Most PCs that weren't home built have recovery discs in them that revert the PC back to the day you bought it. Easier than paying someone else to fix it, which I don't doubt can be done, and you've got a 100% safe PC.

If you don't back up your files, then I can see why you wouldn't want to do it. I keep all of my files on a stand alone hard drive and all the apps I run are on there as well.
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited March 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    My "How do you know?" question was in regards to your statement of knowing what's specifically going on with someones comptuer over the forum. It could be as simple as adware or it could be something more serious.

The only reason this turned into a debate is because someone had to get on their high horse and make some dickheaded comments about a differing opinion.

Understood and agreed.
    His calling it a virus apparently came from his PC security identifying it as a virus.
    There were times my Adaware SE Personal was identified as a "trojan horse".
    Even in a "general statement" I can think of NO reason at this point to reload.
    Yes, a clean scrub and reload will eleminate this problem.
    HOWEVER, I've seen viruses pop in during reloads of drivers, motherboard flashes, and many online updates.
    Viruses CAN/MAY be a problem.
    A virus may not necessarily be a virus but simply identified as one.
    I do have to say though, these little things do help pay the bills.
    It is nice to get the varied viewpoints on this subject.
    HB
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »

Heh. Classy.

If your "friend" is unwilling to track down the problem and fix it for you then he is quite lazy and likely sees no benefit in it for him. So he's going to take the easiest route to get out of it while doing as little work as possible to avoid doing work he likely isn't getting compensated fairly for if at all under the guise of friendship.

I don't care if he works for an energy supplier and isn't lazy at work. they probably pay him well and honestly, it's his job, he signed a contract saying he would do it. His paycheck kinda depends on it. That doesn't mean he isn't being lazy for you. I know plenty of people at my job who work their keisters off at work but want so little to do with computers at home that they don't even own one and avoid requests for help like the plague.

Since he has an extensive background concerning his experience with computers, I can almost guarantee that he is being lazy. I hate getting taken advantage of by friends for their personal computers and even some for their businesses. I have friends with similar levels of experience who also complain of getting taken advantage of by friends and family. I will avoid doing work or do minimal work for certain people because they want something for free because they call me "friend".

I'm done with this thread.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I have yet to have to do an entire reinstall of any computer due to something as silly as a virus or spyware.

If your IT guy is telling you that, it's because he is lazy and doesn't want to go through the work of removing the offending software.

A complete reinstall is rarely the answer and always a last resort.

agreed... i have never reformatted a HD and it kind of scares me to death. since i'm not a real organized person.. i'm not sure where all the software is in my house. :confused:

But as Demi and other's have said.. free ware to help fix problem may only cover it up for the time being. but it doesn't get rid of the adware that caused the problem. only a clean reinstall would do that.

either way.. my PC is running like normal again. but i'm not going to use IE anymore. I never did like IE much anyway.. but this computer is due to be replaced next year anyway. so as long as it holds up for another 9 month's, i'm cool.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    Uninstall the IE and delete the registry key then reinstall again. You could download from Microsoft.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't get rid of IE completely because some sites require you use it. I would go and get the update packs from Microsoft, the have fixes that solve the problem you were having and prevent it from happening again in one of the service packs for IE6. Might also want to look into upgrading to IE7. They did a decent job with exploits but the look'n'feel isn't the same.

So I lied, I wasn't done with it. I will be now though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Heh. Classy.

If your "friend" is unwilling to track down the problem and fix it for you then he is quite lazy and likely sees no benefit in it for him. So he's going to take the easiest route to get out of it while doing as little work as possible to avoid doing work he likely isn't getting compensated fairly for if at all under the guise of friendship.

I don't care if he works for an energy supplier and isn't lazy at work. they probably pay him well and honestly, it's his job, he signed a contract saying he would do it. His paycheck kinda depends on it. That doesn't mean he isn't being lazy for you. I know plenty of people at my job who work their keisters off at work but want so little to do with computers at home that they don't even own one and avoid requests for help like the plague.

Since he has an extensive background concerning his experience with computers, I can almost guarantee that he is being lazy. I hate getting taken advantage of by friends for their personal computers and even some for their businesses. I have friends with similar levels of experience who also complain of getting taken advantage of by friends and family. I will avoid doing work or do minimal work for certain people because they want something for free because they call me "friend".

I'm done with this thread.

Ah, say a bunch of stupid **** and then run away by saying you're done with it? Cute.

Typical. It's a wonder anyone engages you on this forum when the end result is you talking at everyone rather than with them. You put friend in quotes as if he isn't really one and I need to justify it -- and I am sitting here wondering how it is you have any yourself with how you constantly treat people on this forum.

I'm sure there will be no response since you're done with this one. :rolleyes: