please help, annoying computer virus

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
overnight i got a annoying computer virus on my Win XP machine. So far it doesn't appear to be to malicious, but you never know.

I don't know what the name of the virus is, but it's the one that keeps reopening Internet Explorer browser.

so if anyone knows how to get rid of this virus please let me know.

someone suggested I to a restore point from a couple days back.. that sounds like a good idea to me. and i'll give it a try tonight.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Good luck. I have no pointers as I no jack about computers but I "think" I have gotten rid of a nasty one I got last week [with a lot of paid help, might I add...]. What I thought had caused the virus wasn't even the case.

Viruses SUCK!!!!:mad:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    It's not a virus, it's adware trying to contact an ad server that isn't responding. If you don't have one, get AdAware or SpyBot or both, update them and run them. They should clean it out.

Update your Internet Exploder too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    I have good luck with ccleaner. It seems to get stuff Adaware and McAfee don't.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2008
    Wipe your hard drive and reinstall XP.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Wipe your hard drive and reinstall XP.

That would work.:eek:
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited March 2008
    Download and install AVG Free. (www.grisoft.com) and run it. It will eleminate all viruses. If the virus persists start computer in safe mode and run AVG again. 100% effective.
    I run all free security.
    AVG, Adaware, Spybot. I haven't had a virus in 7-8 years probably. I'm ALL OVER the net.
    I don't get junk email, spam, etc. NEVER.
    HB
    Contact me and I'll send you direct links.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    That would work.:eek:

Unfortunately once you're infected that's usually the best solution. Save what you can and dump the rest.

The idea is to have all the protection in place before you get nailed with a virus. :o
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited March 2008
    its probably called "smithfraud virus"

says your pc is infected and to go here to get the fix.. blah blah

kind of a **** to get off..
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    If you're getting like 50 ie windows, def spyware. Spyware cleaner is your fiend.

edit: sorry, friend. Double sorry, this is not even an edit.
  • danger boy
    edited March 2008
    i have adaware and newest version of McAfee suite
  • danger boy
    edited March 2008
    ok i am making some progress it seems. i restored my computer to a couple days ago.. then restarted it.. no pop ups.. then went in and turned off system restore, restart again... so far so good. Knock on wood.

but, did that clean out the ad-ware or did it just cause it to go dorment? either way.. i'm never using IE again. Never had this problem of adware using Firefox.

I will take all suggestions and download and install Spybot and the other free cleaners. I was surprised Adaware didn't catch it though. and I have the latest version and it's updated. but i guess some stuff still gets by those.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    McAffee sucks and Norton is a resource hog. I've been using Trend Micro PC cillin for the last 2 years and haven't had a problem since.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • HB27
    edited March 2008
    Doesn't look like the McAfee worked.
    AVG works. It's free, it's easy to use.
    HB
  • danger boy
    edited March 2008
    bruss wrote: »
    its probably called "smithfraud virus"

says your pc is infected and to go here to get the fix.. blah blah

kind of a **** to get off..

yeah that sounds exactly like it. it brought my 6 yr old computer to it's knees for a while there though. :mad:
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    As was said earlier, Wipe it. If you have any infections that you can see, you may have ones that you can't. Root kits, trojans named after OS files all festering and multiplying in your box. . .
    Clean install, use a security product that has internet security built in. Free doesn't mean bad, but you do sometimes get what you pay for. For free, try WinPatrol and SpyBot in addition to a Virus/Security suite.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    As was said earlier, Wipe it. If you have any infections that you can see, you may have ones that you can't. Root kits, trojans named after OS files all festering and multiplying in your box. . .
    Clean install, use a security product that has internet security built in. Free doesn't mean bad, but you do sometimes get what you pay for. For free, try WinPatrol and SpyBot in addition to a Virus/Security suite.

Yep, our IT guy says the same thing when we've had problems.

The best way to be sure that all the bad stuff is gone is by wiping the drive and doing a fresh install. It's a pain in the ****, but it's the only way you can be sure it's all gone.

Installing a bunch of third party free-ware can often cause more problems beneath the surface you may not be noticing beyond hampering performance. Sure, it may stop IE from opening, but there's often more going on.

The key is taking the appropriate measures to protect your machine before there's a problem. I think AVG is fine, but AVG isn't going to clean a jacked up machine to 100% after there's been a problem.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    I have yet to have to do an entire reinstall of any computer due to something as silly as a virus or spyware.

If your IT guy is telling you that, it's because he is lazy and doesn't want to go through the work of removing the offending software.

A complete reinstall is rarely the answer and always a last resort.

• Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I have yet to have to do an entire reinstall of any computer due to something as silly as a virus or spyware.

If your IT guy is telling you that, it's because he is lazy and doesn't want to go through the work of removing the offending software.

Sorry, Jstas, I keep forgeting you're the expert on everything.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    People have this aversion to reinstalls like it's some last resort. It's the cleanest and surest way to rid yourself of these types of problems, and has the added benefit of usually speeding up your computing experience.

Why spend hours upon hours trying to remove these viruses, when in the end you have no way to be sure you got it all, when you could spend half the amount of time doing a clean install?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    People have this aversion to reinstalls like it's some last resort. It's the cleanest and surest way to rid yourself of these types of problems, and has the added benefit of usually speeding up your computing experience.

Why spend hours upon hours trying to remove these viruses, when in the end you have no way to be sure you got it all, when you could spend half the amount of time doing a clean install?

I'll agree that sometimes it is necessary to reload an operating system, but I definitely always try to wipe the virus/adware first. There are a whole lot of very useful system tools at one's disposal to tighten the ship, so to speak, and often you can remove the offender within an hour if you know what you're doing.

Having a custom machine and having to reinstall EVERYTHING from drivers to software usually takes somewhere close to a full day for. I'd try to thwart it if I could.

And if you can't, buy Norton Ghost and make an image of your fresh install after all the updates and necessary software is installed. That'll save you countless hours.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Sorry, Jstas, I keep forgeting you're the expert on everything.

I deal with this stuff for a living and as a side business. I have a couple decades worth of experience. My client's data is much more important than the ease of getting the reinstall done. The Geek Squad and Firedog reps resort to reinstalls. My clients call me back and even sometimes they allow a Firedog or Geek Squad monkey to touch their systems. Then end up calling me back to fix what the monkeys screwed up.

I'm not an expert on everything. One of the few things I am an expert on is computers and if I can help I prefer to speak up. What I don't prefer to do is combat misinformation ad nauseum from everybody that has an "idea" or what "they do" to fix a problem. Especially when it is the worst possible way to go about it.

I'll just keep my help to myself anymore. It's a waste of time trying to help people that think they already got it figured out anyway.

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    Wow, hypocrite much? YOu criticize others for their "misinformation" based on what "they do", and then you prattle on about what "you do" and how it's the only right way. I also do this as a job, and have for almost a decade. There are many "correct" ways to solve a problem, and which one you choose depends very much on your application. For many home users with a basic understanding of computers, in my "professional" opinion a reinstall is going to be the path of least resistance, guaranteed to work. Tackling a virus or spyware for the average user is a daunting task and there's almost no way to know if it was successful.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Hypocrite:

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

I do not pretend to have virtues and qualities that I do not possess. Nor do I subscribe to belief systems that I do not follow. I will not tell someone to do as I say not as I do.

I do not feign some publicly desirable attitude. In fact, most of the people find my attitude to be less than desirable. Maybe it's my fault. Nobody respects my feelings so I have no desire to go out of my way to protect their fragile egos. Give me some common respect and you'll get it in return. I don't behave any differently here than I do in real life. Maybe I come off differently here in text than I do in person. I don't know.

But several people have used the word hypocrite to describe me and point out ancillary instances where they think I have compromised myself in one way or another.

A hypocrite I am not and those who think I am should gather a better grasp of the English language. They didn't have English classes in school so you had a period to get some Z's.

As for my experience in the "computer field", 20+ years. Everything from simple desktop support to extensive server/client installations at enterprise levels. I have worked on high availability clusters, assembled clustered servers, built entire database systems and managed it all. I have a laundry list of credentials that has pretty much let me write my ticket in any job I have taken. I'm not a two-bit hack and I have a ton of knowledge and experience. I am much more advanced than any typical home user. The difference between me and many other people on my level is that I will gladly explain whatever someone doesn't understand and show them how to do what I am telling them to do as many times as necessary. When people on Internet forums question my integrity, assault my character and dismiss my credentials just because I think that they are giving bad advice, my interest and enthusiasm for helping others having a flawlessly running computer like I have wans rapidly.

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    The Geek Squad and Firedog reps resort to reinstalls. My clients call me back and even sometimes they allow a Firedog or Geek Squad monkey to touch their systems. Then end up calling me back to fix what the monkeys screwed up.

Understatement of the decade....I cant believe people pay so much for this **** service when every single instance I have seen they have screwed up the situation more then helped.

Half of them resort to reinstalls when a simple registry edit could have solved the problem...from what I have seen from Geek Squad ( Havent had any run ins from Firedog ? Wonder if they are here out west ? ) they are bad news.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • HB27
    edited March 2008

I'm in agreement. A simple virus is a very easy thing to resolve. No need for a lengthy reload at this point.
    There ARE times when a reload is called for. You are not at that point yet or even close.
    HB
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    HB27 wrote: »
    I'm in agreement. A simple virus is a very easy thing to resolve. No need for a lengthy reload at this point.
    There ARE times when a reload is called for. You are not at that point yet or even close.
    HB

Agreed....+1
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    HB27 wrote: »
    You are not at that point yet or even close.
    HB

How do you know?
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »

This is exactly it.

I'm not computer retarded nor do I know all of the ins and outs of PCs. The "IT guy" is a close personal friend and maintains the computer system of our states energy supplier. He also installed our network and does the maintenance for us. Calling him lazy doesn't even make sense -- he gets paid not to be. :rolleyes:

His advice for my business when we have had a couple workstations get nailed by a virus was to simply get them off the network and reinstall the OS on the individual machines. It's happened 3 times now in 10 years and we've always done the complete reinstall rather than paying through the nose for diagnosis and hours of maintenance that leaves no guarantees.

Besides, I want to be 100% sure that the machines are safe since they're used to conduct business. I treat all of my personal computers the same way.

If your PC is just a jerk off box, by all means -- keep installing free-ware and letting it 'fix' your PC for you. If you want to make sure everything is gone, a full reinstall is the only way to do that.
  • HB27
    edited March 2008
    I've been working on computer systems since '77.
    I'm an electronics tech and a part of my business is computer repair, software, and PC building.
    I am not a KIA (know it all) either, but I've not seen a single virus in close to 5 years or so that I've had to reload a pc because of it.
    There's a lot of good software available to remove "junk" from your system.
    McAfee may even have already "patched" the problem by now.
    PC security is always behind. That's why upgrades and patches are always available.
    I mean no disrespect to anyone. I DO know what I speak of and I'm just trying to help a forum member with a problem I find is very simple.
    Though not a "cure all", the AVG is a very easy to use, software compatible, program designed for just such cases.
    The safe mode restart and running your pc security in same mode is where I would start. Even McAfee and Norton use this feature.
    HB
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    overnight i got a annoying computer virus on my Win XP machine. So far it doesn't appear to be to malicious, but you never know.

I don't know what the name of the virus is, but it's the one that keeps reopening Internet Explorer browser.

so if anyone knows how to get rid of this virus please let me know.

someone suggested I to a restore point from a couple days back.. that sounds like a good idea to me. and i'll give it a try tonight.

I believe that is not a virus or adware. They install the program somewhere in your system. The solution is on Symantec's web site. You might need to delete some registry value and some services. If you don't know what you are doing please let somebody do it for you.