The new tundra is so awesome...

2»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    Where's Ford Truck Fanboi Jstas on all of this?

He was defending dodge!;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2008
    The Tundra I test drove was a 'one-wheel wonder', which was a huge turn-off.
  • dfranks
    dfranks Posts: 207
    edited March 2008
    Pulloffs don't mean anything about HP check some of the truck sites.
    Ways to win a truck pulloff, Add weight to the bed, have taller tires, 2" lift helps too.

Overall it means nothing about power or which truck is better, it's about weight and traction.
  • dfranks
    edited March 2008
    The SRT-10 is quick but I think the viper is quicker. check the linky

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Cmon now...we are just talking about common affordable available to the masses good ole pickup trucks....that doesnt even come close to qualifying.

Of course we all know that the Viper engined "Truck " exists...but how many do you see on any given day ? ;)

I see SRT10 Rams daily.

I know 3 people who own them, two of them I work with, the other one belongs to the Lightning club.

On top of that, they started at about $48,000 and since they aren't made anymore, you can pick up a used one for about $30K in primo condition. A fully loaded Tundra breaks $55,000 without tax and other costs.

Where's Ford Truck Fanboi Jstas on all of this?
    **** you.

I think it's funny how the Tundra seems to have limited slip and the others are all, as PolkThug put it, one wheel wonders. Put the Tundra up against comparably equipped trucks and then run the 'tug-o-war' "test". Preferably NOT in a Toyota dealership parking lot with Toyota sales monkeys driving the trucks.

I don't really care about the trucks or the companies. I care that everyone turns into a goddamn expert with no clue what they are looking at, talking about or what makes a truck a good truck. Very few people I know put their trucks through the rigors that they are built for and that includes people that use them to earn a living.

Since there seems to a be a big kick on trucks lately, find a Silverado HD, or a Ford SuperDuty and then strap them up to a Toyota see how the Toy fares. I don't care what anyone thinks about Nissan and Toyota. Until Toyota can come up with a vehicle like an F-350 or a Chevy Silverado 3500 or a Dodge Ram 3500 and make it last even half as long reliably and for a price people can afford, they will not be able to come close to the American manufacturers.

Power isn't everything and all it seems to serve to the general public is a **** extension. That mentality is always put forth by weenies that think they have something to prove.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dfranks
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I see SRT10 Rams daily.

Since there seems to a be a big kick on trucks lately, find a Silverado HD, or a Ford SuperDuty and then strap them up to a Toyota see how the Toy fares. I don't care what anyone thinks about Nissan and Toyota. Until Toyota can come up with a vehicle like an F-350 or a Chevy Silverado 3500 or a Dodge Ram 3500 and make it last even half as long reliably and for a price people can afford, they will not be able to come close to the American manufacturers.

Amen! Here is food for thought, Untill I start seeing Toyo's and Nissan's "Hotshotting" Like the other 3 are and have been for 20+years i will put them in the same league.

But if you want great looking nice riding grocery getter,Haulling a couple sheets of plywood etc, then I think the imports make a great product. Even though are higher priced than the domestics.

Just my opinion, nothing more
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    And as far as what's an American truck and what's not, check to see where the corporate profits go. If they stay here, it's an American truck, if not, well you get the idea.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    Who cares where corporate profits go? What do you care more about, thousands of factory workers getting paychecks or a couple dozen executives?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Rivrrat
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Who cares where corporate profits go? What do you care more about, thousands of factory workers getting paychecks or a couple dozen executives?

How much reinvestment do you suppose Ford or anyone else can do without corporate profits?

No corporate profits, no jobs for the thousands of factory workers getting a paycheck. Or have you missed the part where Ford and GM have been shutting down plants trying to stop losing money "corporate profits"?
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    How much reinvestment do you suppose Ford or anyone else can do without corporate profits?

No corporate profits, no jobs for the thousands of factory workers getting a paycheck. Or have you missed the part where Ford and GM have been shutting down plants trying to stop losing money "corporate profits"?

Ford and GM are reinvesting any profits they make in factories outside the US anyway, so why would I care if they're making profits? At least as far as US economics go. Corporate profits for my Subaru may have gone to Japan, but Japan invested a lot of that money in the factories in the US. Seems like a win for the US.
  • Rivrrat
    edited March 2008
    Corporate profits for my Subaru may have gone to Japan

At least now you understand the point I was making. I constantly hear this argument that because thay're assembled in the US, that makes them an American truck. To me, (and I used to have a Nissan built in Tennessee), that's just a way of rationalizing purchasing a foreign vehicle. Fine, if you want to buy one, go ahead, but don't try to say it's something it's not.

Other than that It's probably not germaine to the discussion anyway. I have my reasons for buying an F-150 instead of a Toyota or Nissan, and it wasn't where they were built.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    I see SRT10 Rams daily.

I know 3 people who own them, two of them I work with, the other one belongs to the Lightning club.

On top of that, they started at about $48,000 and since they aren't made anymore, you can pick up a used one for about $30K in primo condition.

Not many here out west....we had one at the track thats all I have seen...now Lightnings...quite a few of those around here and a couple have showed up at the track.

I didnt give a rats **** who made the truck I was going to purchase...I have zero control over corporate decisions on if an import manf builds them here or a domestic manf who invests in out of country assy plants.

What sold me on the truck I bought was driving it....fanboys are pussies...I bought what put the biggest damn grin on my face when I planted the pedal....and back in 2004 it was the Titan. I drove every 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton class pickup out there ...nothing in that class could match it for the year 2004. I didnt give a damn who made it ( It was nice to see it was almost entirely american made ) ....but if the dodge had been better I would have grabbed that.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shadowofnight
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Thats really the bottom line...as long as those paychecks for the american manf/assy plant workers keep clearing at the bank ...those couple dozen executives can keep Bentley in business for all I care.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Um, the part about corporate profits isn't as big of a deal as something called Gross Domestic Product.

The less vehicles that companies the size of the big 3 make and sell, the lower the GDP is. The lower that is, the higher the devaluation of the dollar goes and the more oppressive inflation becomes which leads to things like recessions. Recession...that sounds familiar, doesn't it? Don't worry, this current one isn't due to the floundering of teh Big 3...at least not yet. This current one is due to the fact that over 30% of new home construction remains unsold and there are record numbers of defaulted loans in the country.

On top of that, having large manufacturers like Ford, GM and Chrysler in the U.S. and U.S. owned is a strategic advantage. Who do you think got pressed in to service building military vehicles of all kinds that have made sure that our way of life has stayed this way and that we have been able to promote democracy throughout the world?

Even if you don't spend the money now, you will in the future in the form of your tax dollars when the government gives one of those companies a gigantic buyout or bailout because it's floundering and has already hemorrhaged every job and asset it could to stay afloat. Don't think it'll happen? Ask Lee Iaccoca about how the K-car came to be and all of it's variants including the Dodge Caravan minivan and the lovely little pile of poo the Neon. Yeah, they stretch back to the Plymouth Reliant and Dodge Aries which were built by Chrysler with the pile of gubment cheese afforded to them during the last big economic crunch. That's why people say to buy American. Union or not, doesn't matter. I know my company has tons of parts in every vehicle churned out by the Big 3. I know what puts my food on the table and I'll do what I can to make sure that it stays there. It's got nothing to do with Unions.

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2008
    I recently spent some time in the current 1/2 ton trucks from Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota. All were 4wd extended cabs similarly equipped. When it was all said and done the Tundra was far and away the winner. I'm not gonna get all long winded about my experience, or comment on the politics. You can all duke that out with Jstaspedia. My advise is to put any prejudice aside and go drive them all for yourself. If you do, I'm confident that many of you will reach the same conclusion. If you don't....fine.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2008
    Jstaspedia! Ha!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2008
    **** you.

Classy jstas, love how when people like to talk about products they like or enjoy you call them fanboi's, but when the tables are turned you get all pissy about it and drop an F-bomb.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Classy jstas, love how when people like to talk about products they like or enjoy you call them fanboi's, but when the tables are turned you get all pissy about it and drop an F-bomb.

'Cause I'm not a fanboi. It just so happens that everyone likes to bag on Fords so that's what gets discussed. If it was a Chevy or a Dodge that was discussed, my responses would be no different. When are you going to take your head out of your ****? And if you want classy, your post was meant specifically to incite discord. Somehow that's classy?

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2008
    'Cause I'm not a fanboi. It just so happens that everyone likes to bag on Fords so that's what gets discussed. If it was a Chevy or a Dodge that was discussed, my responses would be no different. When are you going to take your head out of your ****? And if you want classy, your post was meant specifically to incite discord. Somehow that's classy?

Right jstas and you calling other people fanboys never is intended to incite? Somehow most of your posts are intended to do this, and now all of a sudden your taking the "high road". Why not try pulling your head out of yours. Your such a hypocrite.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    When I buy a Honda, sure the company in Japan is the owner but if said company is investing BILLIONS in this country, employing tens of thousands of people I dont feel the least bit bad about it.

I also dont blame the Big 3 for them not making cars up to the level of Honda and Toyota - I blame the union. The Big 3 just cant compete having to pay guys $40/hr when Honda and Toyota are paying $20. And just knowing the fact that GM has more money and resources tied up in RUNNING THEIR PENSION PLAN THAN BUILDING CARS its obvious where the problem lies. Building a quality car aint rocket surgery. Ford, Chevy and Dodge could build a car just as good as Honda or Toyota can but when theyre labor expenses are triple what the Japanese companies are and theyre trying to come down at the same price point, theyre going to have to cut corners somewhere.

I think the only way the Big 3 are ever going to get back on their feet since the unions show no sign of ever giving in, is for them to close all their plants and high tail it into Mexico and Canada. Then maybe in a few years they can open up new plants in this country and be non-union.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    When I buy a Honda, sure the company in Japan is the owner but if said company is investing BILLIONS in this country, employing tens of thousands of people I dont feel the least bit bad about it.

I also dont blame the Big 3 for them not making cars up to the level of Honda and Toyota - I blame the union. The Big 3 just cant compete having to pay guys $40/hr when Honda and Toyota are paying $20. And just knowing the fact that GM has more money and resources tied up in RUNNING THEIR PENSION PLAN THAN BUILDING CARS its obvious where the problem lies. Building a quality car aint rocket surgery. Ford, Chevy and Dodge could build a car just as good as Honda or Toyota can but when theyre labor expenses are triple what the Japanese companies are and theyre trying to come down at the same price point, theyre going to have to cut corners somewhere.

I think the only way the Big 3 are ever going to get back on their feet since the unions show no sign of ever giving in, is for them to close all their plants and high tail it into Mexico and Canada. Then maybe in a few years they can open up new plants in this country and be non-union.

The union doesn't help, but I blame stupid management.
    The build quality of all cars has jumped greatly. All the problems come
    from BAD DESIGN! If the guy on the line puts it together wrong, that's one thing.
    But almost everthing that has gone wrong with any of the cars I've owned over
    the last 10 years has been poor design. The problems are well documented, and
    large numbers of people have the same problem.
    Some, like Toyota, find these trends early and tweak their prodution to
    fix the weak points. GM and Ford will run the same piss poor design for
    10 years. Dodge minivan break caliper pistons sieze up on a regular
    basis. POOR DESIGN. Ford sparks plugs blowing out of heads on the V8's.
    POOR DESIGN. O ring in Ford Trannies fails, gets sucked into valve body.
    POOR DESIGN. The fixes for these things are easy at the factory.
    Toyota would of done it as soon as the trend was reported.
    Not Ford. Not GM. Not Chrysler. There many imports that are just as crappy.
    Dumping unions would help the bottom line, but the vehicles would still be ****!
    Build them in Mexico. Same thing. I would just cost GM less to give you the same vehicle.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    I'd call it a combination of crappy management and unions ... both played their own part in the problem. Though I would say that what allowed Honda/Toyota to become so big was for the most part management in the 70's early 80's, and then the effort to catch up being hampered by the unions in the late 80's-00's

If management and white collar had done their job in the 1970-1985 and made better cars instead of sitting on their asses saying "Americans will take the crap we give them and like it!" all of the big imports would have a much smaller market share now, and Unions wouldn't be so much of an issue.

By the time the Big Three fat cats woke from their haze in the mid-late 80's it was too late and buyers were revolting by the millions.

W
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    I'd call it a combination of crappy management and unions ... both played their own part in the problem. Though I would say that what allowed Honda/Toyota to become so big was for the most part management in the 70's early 80's, and then the effort to catch up being hampered by the unions in the late 80's-00's

If management and white collar had done their job in the 1970-1985 and made better cars instead of sitting on their asses saying "Americans will take the crap we give them and like it!" all of the big imports would have a much smaller market share now, and Unions wouldn't be so much of an issue.

By the time the Big Three fat cats woke from their haze in the mid-late 80's it was too late and buyers were revolting by the millions.
    W

That pretty much sums it up. Now every level blames each other for the mess they are in. The Union says it is not thier fault for the poor designs, and use that as an excuse to condemn wage cuts. The management blames the union for not being flexible to global changes in the market. Both are right and wrong, but none of this matters if they both go down. production will have to go to Mexico, Canadian unions are just as bad and now that the dollar is so weak, it makes no sense to go to Canada.
    Venom
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    my .02

I am in the "buy what you like" camp, all "where was the truck built" arguments aside"

when comparing trucks, it's tough because there are so many types, engines, drivetrains, options, et all. you have to compare equally optioned and geared trucks. as John said, a Chevy HD (which can be generically termed a "chevy truck") will out power, out tow, and outlast the most powerful Tundra you can get (generically called a "Toyota Truck), however a Toyota Tundra with its biggest engine will outperform, outwork etc my 6 cylinder GMC truck (a 1991, which adamantly refuses to die AND still looks goooood, which is why I like it so much).

anyhoo, I do like the Tundra, but overall like the Chvy Silverado the best overall truck by an edge. I like the Styling of the Chevy, and the 6 speed Tundra tranny, while making it a faster truck, just seems to shift too much, if that makes sense. it seemed a little herky jerky to me. I just liked the ride of the Silverado

I liked Titans when they frst came out, until finding out they were released with the same brakes and rotors as a Frontier, I was like WTF?!?!?! the rotors getting warped and eventually recalled was almost a forgone conclusion, made me think of where else they cut corners.

fact is, if you buy a new truck, your getting a nice truck, so buy whatcha like.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • 4406bbl
    4406bbl Posts: 194
    edited March 2008
    Um, the part about corporate profits isn't as big of a deal as something called Gross Domestic Product.

The less vehicles that companies the size of the big 3 make and sell, the lower the GDP is. The lower that is, the higher the devaluation of the dollar goes and the more oppressive inflation becomes which leads to things like recessions. Recession...that sounds familiar, doesn't it? Don't worry, this current one isn't due to the floundering of teh Big 3...at least not yet. This current one is due to the fact that over 30% of new home construction remains unsold and there are record numbers of defaulted loans in the country.

On top of that, having large manufacturers like Ford, GM and Chrysler in the U.S. and U.S. owned is a strategic advantage. Who do you think got pressed in to service building military vehicles of all kinds that have made sure that our way of life has stayed this way and that we have been able to promote democracy throughout the world?

Even if you don't spend the money now, you will in the future in the form of your tax dollars when the government gives one of those companies a gigantic buyout or bailout because it's floundering and has already hemorrhaged every job and asset it could to stay afloat. Don't think it'll happen? Ask Lee Iaccoca about how the K-car came to be and all of it's variants including the Dodge Caravan minivan and the lovely little pile of poo the Neon. Yeah, they stretch back to the Plymouth Reliant and Dodge Aries which were built by Chrysler with the pile of gubment cheese afforded to them during the last big economic crunch. That's why people say to buy American. Union or not, doesn't matter. I know my company has tons of parts in every vehicle churned out by the Big 3. I know what puts my food on the table and I'll do what I can to make sure that it stays there. It's got nothing to do with Unions.

Not all truth,while Chrysler got a loan but they did pay back every penny,they were also the first company to ever pay uncle sam back in full. No free cheese. It does not matter who owns the plants during a war if uncle sam needs them they will have them be they **** owned or not.
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    The bottom line is Toyota is making some decent trucks.
    Are they as heavy duty as some of the big three's offerings?
    No. Are they good all purpose vehicles? Yes.
    End of argument. At this point with the rising gas prices,
    what we really needed was a great mid-size truck, not another
    fuel gulping no holds barred truck. Get me over 20 MPG around
    town in a dependable mid size, and NOT have it cost more than
    a full size. It kills me to see the smaller Dodges and Fords with
    the almost the same MPG ratings as full size, and at the same price.
    What's the point?

And here's a worthless rant-skip reading it and save some time

And Toyota, I don't go to the dealer so the salesguy
    can show me the glovebox, center console, and stereo.
    Let me drive the truck and give me a damn PRICE.
    "yes we have some really good incentives right now"
    And those would be.....? An hour in, no mention of the price,
    incentives, or any other tangible thing. We're really great.
    Just sign this paperwork and we'll get the finance guy working on it.
    They were a bit shocked when I just left. The sales manager
    came running out to tell me that they were made in Texas.
    Gee, I've only been in the damn plant a couple of times, I guess
    it never occurred to me they were making trucks there.

Rant mode off
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • shadowofnight
    edited March 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I don't go to the dealer so the salesguy
    can show me the glovebox, center console, and stereo.
    Let me drive the truck and give me a damn PRICE.
    "yes we have some really good incentives right now"
    And those would be.....? An hour in, no mention of the price,
    incentives, or any other tangible thing. We're really great.
    Just sign this paperwork and we'll get the finance guy working on it.
    They were a bit shocked when I just left. The sales manager
    came running out to tell me that they were made in Texas.
    Gee, I've only been in the damn plant a couple of times, I guess
    it never occurred to me they were making trucks there.

Rant mode off

I go in and in 5 minutes they are handing me the key...this has been at all dealers. I just hand em my drivers license ...tell em you have a few minutes to go check my finances/credit and come back and let me know if you want to hand me a key to go try YOUR vehicle.

Its all in how you carry yourself going in ( Great credit/Job helps :) ) ....My wife still asks me how I can hang up on telemarketers so fast....or tell the bonehead trying to sell me carpet cleaner at my front door not interested before they finish 4 words into a sentance and the door closes.

I wont waste your time...you dont waste mine....same at car dealers for test drives and negotiating a price...you should do your homework BEFORE going so you know what you will pay...if they want to dance around...leave
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    I go in and in 5 minutes they are handing me the key...this has been at all dealers. I just hand em my drivers license ...tell em you have a few minutes to go check my finances/credit and come back and let me know if you want to hand me a key to go try YOUR vehicle.

Its all in how you carry yourself going in ( Great credit/Job helps :) ) ....My wife still asks me how I can hang up on telemarketers so fast....or tell the bonehead trying to sell me carpet cleaner at my front door not interested before they finish 4 words into a sentance and the door closes.

I wont waste your time...you dont waste mine....same at car dealers for test drives and negotiating a price...you should do your homework BEFORE going so you know what you will pay...if they want to dance around...leave

I have bought a lot of new cars. The only two to ever piss me off like that was Volkswagen(back in the early 80's) and Toyota. I have been in three times at different local Toyota dealerships. They seem to think you don't have a choice. My credit's top notch. I want to test drive, get a price,and do the deal. That's what the local Lincoln Mercury dealer excels at. Upfront, no bullcrap. I don't do the credit check until there's a price on the table. Then we can work on the interest rate. I got 0% on the last couple of cars.
    I hung around at Toyota only because I really was interested in their truck.
    I won't be going back. At this point. I'll just drive the old F150 into the dirt.