Blown tweeters?

Options
swredman
swredman Posts: 5
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
Hello,

I have a pair of LS-90's. Earlier today I was moving a component around in my system, and a feedback occured through my amplifier (I know, I should have turned it off). I quickly shut everything off, and then powered it back up. I noticed immediately that the speakers did not sound right - there was no high frequency sound coming from them. Putting my ear next to each tweeter, I have verified that neither tweeter is putting out any sound.

Is there any kind of protection circuit built into the crossover (like a fuse) that I can check, or are the tweeters blown? If so, are replacements available, and if so how much are they.

Bummed,

Scott Redman
Orlando, FL
Post edited by swredman on

Comments

• swredman
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I took the tweeters out and measured them with a DVM. They measure open-circuit, so they are blown.

Please direct on how to order replacements.

Thanks,

Scott
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Scott,

Top of this page under Service and Parts.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I can't imagine you've had them that long. Are they still under warranty? I'd go back to point of sale. If not, follow the link. They're fast and friendly. Make sure to tell them you are a club member.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    Options
    i would think. and i'm only guessing here. that one would think to turn off the power switch or unplug said component before moving it around..
    same goes for changing out a light socket. turn off the power first.

will Polk replace these under warranty? even if it was the fault of the user?

just asking.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Shhh... they went open circuit under warranty.
    Its impossible to determine whether this was due to customer abuse or manufacturing defect..... Shhhhhh.
  • swredman
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Yes, it would be nice to get them replaced under warranty. They are pst the five year period by about 4 years. The tweeter even has a sticker on it with the date of manufacture: 07-03-93

Scott:supermad: