My Attempt At Drifting

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well, we are in the process of getting clobbered by snow, about 8 inches so far, give or take. I decided I was going to go to the gym and then have a little fun in the back parking lot. This lot was unplowed before I made my way into it except for one path that led to a back lot even further back. I could barely keep the car going in it and for the most part I was plowing it with my front bumper. At one point it got so bad I couldn't see out of my windows from the snow spray covering them. The video is a bit slow, but toward the end it gets a little better. I'm going to practice some tomorrow again then try and reshoot another video depending how the ground is.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i222.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid222.photobucket.com/albums/dd234/BaggedLancer/MOV00611.flv"&gt;
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    :yawn:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    ok....H&K & Research Turbo makes some chit that will help you drift. So does Billie Bob's Onion Skins Tires. But I bet it was fun. Go back and kick the hell outta it and forget about blowing up the motor. I can help you there.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    What?

I don't want to modify my car, I was just having fun.

The chances of blowing the motor from what I just did? Slim to none. The ground was all ice and snow and i wasn't really on the gas. The tires are junk so it was pretty easy to get a slide going.

Yes, it was a blast.....:D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    What?

I don't want to modify my car, I was just having fun.

The chances of blowing the motor from what I just did? Slim to none. The ground was all ice and snow and i wasn't really on the gas. The tires are junk so it was pretty easy to get a slide going.

Yes, it was a blast.....:D

You can blow up the motor from doing that? How???
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Ice & snow = overreving.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Ice & snow = overreving.

Chuck

Guess I'm confused how? I had the car in manual mode, differential disabled, never went over 3500ish rpm. Not even remotely close to overrevving.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Zero wrote: »
    You suck.

Thanks Ron
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Nice sled.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Guess I'm confused how? I had the car in manual mode, differential disabled, never went over 3500ish rpm. Not even remotely close to overrevving.

I'm confused even more now. You have a manual? If so, wouldn't that only happen if you miss a shift and then your engine would blow up?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    That's why it sucked.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    :yawn:
    ;):p

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Face, what don't you take your Face and stick it up your....nevermind.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    That wasn't bad ! You might want to consider driving towards the cameraman at about 40 mph and executing a 720 doughnut right before you reach him.

........ maybe then he'll get his candy **** out of his car and do some real filming ........

;)

SAFETY TIP: don't go to a mall parking lot and take aim at any lone shopping carts; just because they're sitting there, mocking you and BEGGING to get nailed doesn't mean that their front wheels aren't frozen solid in an unseen, snow covered storm grate.

:o
    Sal Palooza
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited February 2008
    Looks like you had a lot of fun. I used to do that in clay pits here in Florida. No snow here. You can keep the snow.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    Back when I was ski instructing, a couple of the younger guys were playing around like that. it was pretty fun, I guess, until they hit a dry patch, and flipped the car they were in.

The owner was uninsured too.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2008
    Looks fun, keep it up.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Aqs612scag
    Aqs612scag Posts: 102
    edited February 2008
    BaggedLancer, Does your G35X have full time awd and traction control?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2008
    You guys are bad. But I was thinking it was AWD also?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    Back when I was ski instructing, a couple of the younger guys were playing around like that. it was pretty fun, I guess, until they hit a dry patch, and flipped the car they were in.

The owner was uninsured too.

Ouch. That's gotta suck.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2008
    If it is G35X then it's AWD. Shouldn't stop drifting on ice, actually would be much easier but you need to apply a lot of throttle...
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    2 words. Emergency brake.

Thats was some pretty cool fish tails. Down south we do this in mud. Not with an AWD car though.:eek: With my Z-71.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    2006 Infiniti G35x sedan. Yes it has all wheel drive, yes it has a variable differential for traction control which I disabled.

The emergency brake isn't optional because it's on the floor so I can't use that.

Guys, I'm sure I could have done alot better but I'm not going to beat the hell out of my car.....I was just having a little fun, under 4000 rpms, through 9 inches of snow. Nothing more, nothing less, I wasn't competing for a drifiting champsionship title. :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2008
    AWD I'm thinking no Emergency brake but lots of GAS. Around 6 grand all the time :D

Oops I forgot some people don't like to be in a car with me when I drive like that. :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    2006 Infiniti G35x sedan. Yes it has all wheel drive, yes it has a variable differential for traction control which I disabled.

The emergency brake isn't optional because it's on the floor so I can't use that.

Guys, I'm sure I could have done alot better but I'm not going to beat the hell out of my car.....I was just having a little fun, under 4000 rpms, through 9 inches of snow. Nothing more, nothing less, I wasn't competing for a drifiting champsionship title. :D

We arent being to critical ...are we????:p:p
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    2006 Infiniti G35x sedan. Yes it has all wheel drive, yes it has a variable differential for traction control which I disabled

So with the differential disabled it effectively becomes a 2WD?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    So with the differential disabled it effectively becomes a 2WD?

The VDC is traction control. It doesn't disable the differential. Basically with it off you can cause the car to slip, but with it on the car corrects itself if you start slipping. Below is the AWD system explained.

Here:

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
    The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.
    From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Ah, I see. Does the G35x still use the VQ35DE found in Maxima's?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    I don't know the model number of my engine, it's 280 hp and 270 torque, upgraded from the original 260 hp and 240 torque that they started with.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Must be the VQ37 then... VQ35DE was up to 265hp.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    If you say so, when I step on the gas the car goes. There is definitely something under that hood.