Shootin Guns in the House

nikolas812
nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Anybody ever have a gun go off in the house?? Well.... We did the other day. Very scary stuff. My dad was checking to see if a 12 gauge shot gun was loaded. While checking it, it never spit out any shells so he figured it was empty and pulled the trigger. BANG!!!! There goes the refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot all at the same time. Guess he should have looked inside the gun to see if a shell was in the chamber. Come to find out, the shot gun has a intermittent problem with chucking out the shells. He just forgot.... It will chuck one and then won't chuck another one without a few more pumps. Probably just needs to be cleaned. Any way it was a very scary moment and it is a good thing no one else was in there when it happened because buck shot went everywhere.
http://Picture140.jpg
http://Picture141.jpg
http://Picture142.jpg
Post edited by nikolas812 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Good thing you didn't have bird shot in there.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    We did. Isn't bird shot and buck shot the same thing??:confused:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Yikes!

A friend of mine worked as a 911 operator. The building they worked out of was attached to the police station, and a lot of the guys who worked 911 were friends with the cops.

So one cop comes in shooting the **** with the 911 guys, puts his shotgun down on a table, and it "goes off" (I don't know the full story about why exactly it discharged, but it did). Luckily facing away from everyone so it just blew a hole in the back wall of the building, but my buddy said he couldn't hear anything but ringing for a couple hours (it was a really small room).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2008
    Holy crap! Glad everyone's ok at least.

The moral of this story is any gun, regardless of whether it is "loaded" or not is ALWAYS loaded. Always.

I've never had one go off, but a friend of mine had a .44 Anaconda go off while he was cleaning it; didn't sound like fun stuff.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Face
    edited February 2008
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    That's called a negligent discharge, emphasis on negligent. I also wouldn't be posting something that's illegal and punishable in some states/jurisdictions on the internet. I would suggest some firearms safety training. And yes I am a strong RKBA supporter and past firearms safety instructor for youth programs.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    You should refer him to a local NRA firearms safety course.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jflail2
    edited February 2008
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    We did. Isn't bird shot and buck shot the same thing??:confused:

Bird shot shoots a million little pellets, while buck shot is composed of only 6-12 larger pellets (iirc.) Buck shot is more for "taking care of business" than hunting.

edit: NM, Face's link is much more descriptive.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You should refer him to a local NRA firearms safety course.

Amen. Always visually check the chamber, that was plain stupid. Glad nobody was hurt.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    That's called a negligent discharge, emphasis on negligent. I also wouldn't be posting something that's illegal and punishable in some states/jurisdictions on the internet. I would suggest some firearms safety training. And yes I am a strong RKBA supporter and past firearms safety instructor for youth programs.

I figured there would be some replys like this. We have been handling guns for years without any problems. It was an accident with a malfunctioning gun. Nothing more. He was pretty shook up by the incident and a little embarrassed by what happened but I don't think he nor I will be attending any classes. Thanks for the advice though.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    I can honestly say no I have not, and never will.

A properly trained individual will never have that happen to them, its not like a car accident where you are only 50% in control of what could possibly happen..you are 100% in control of the situation and if it happens YOU screwed the pooch with nobody else to blame.

Glad to see nobody was injured.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2008
    I had a roommate in college do something very similar with his 12 gauge. Blasted a hole in our drywall, siding, the neighbors siding and drywall, all before the 00 buck shot ripped our neighbors sofa apart. His mother should have been sitting there watching her daily soap opera, except she had a hair appointment that day. It only takes one time to really eff up some lives...
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Face
    edited February 2008
    I can honestly say no I have not, and never will.

A properly trained individual will never have that happen to them, its not like a car accident where you are only 50% in control of what could possibly happen..you are 100% in control of the situation and if it happens YOU screwed the pooch with nobody else to blame.

Glad to see nobody was injured.
    You're wrong, I've seen properly trained individuals do worse. We're only human, mistakes happen.

As I said earlier, I'm glad nobody was injured.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Mistakes happen, but mistakes are the fault of the person making the mistake. Just because it's a mistake doesn't mean you're not at fault.

A properly trained individual can be just as careless as a newbie.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    I figured there would be some replys like this. We have been handling guns for years without any problems. It was an accident with a malfunctioning gun. Nothing more. He was pretty shook up by the incident and a little embarrassed by what happened but I don't think he nor I will be attending any classes. Thanks for the advice though.

A gun with a round in the chamber that you don't know about, or haven't first checked when handling the gun, is not a malfunctioning gun. The gun seemed to function perfectly per your description of the trigger being pulled, and the round in the chamber firing. It's obvious the chamber was not visually checked, and that is negligence on the part of whoever pulled the trigger. It doesn't matter if you've been handling guns 1 day or 20 yrs, the rules are the same. Hopefully the embarrassment and realization that someone could of gotten badly injured will lead to safer practices in the future. It's usually someone very experienced that thinks their experience trumps the rules that gets surprised by these incidents. I apologize for my harshness on this, but I have seen the not so happy ending to a negigent discharge.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jflail2
    edited February 2008
    Reminds me of this guy

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    we can take this as a lesson, even experienced people can make mistakes if what can seem to be anal safety precautions are not followed. looks like someone got a scary lesson in that.

thanks for relaying the story, sure were gonna bust his balls. Monday Morning quarterbacking the situation is going to tell us that it was a fairly stupid thing to do, but we can all learn from it.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2008
    First off, I'm glad nobody was hurt!

You never point a weapon or pull the trigger especially, at anything you don't intend to shoot. ALWAYS, visually and physically check the chamber for a round. You can have a friend(standing clear of the mussel)poke a clearing rod through the barrel to make sure nothing is in the chamber. There is NO excuse for a negligent discharge besides not being PROPERLY trained to clear the weapon, it can cost you your life and others around you.

BTW, I apologise for sounding so rough. I take these kind of things very seriously, especially in the line of work I do.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    Glad nobody was hurt.
  • MikeC78
    edited February 2008
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this guy

Yes, that was stupid. That's called being careless, and it also cost him his job.
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    You're wrong, I've seen properly trained individuals do worse. We're only human, mistakes happen.

As I said earlier, I'm glad nobody was injured.

****...there is absolutely no possible way in the world I or any properly trained person should pull the trigger on a firearm with the muzzle pointed in a direction that could cause harm. I dont care if you checked that it was not loaded 20 times...its just not something you do period.

Thats not something you could classify as a human mistake....its something permanently etched into your subconcious not to pull the trigger on a firearm in a direction that could cause harm.

Even though I KNOW I checked the firearm for cartridges...if its a firearm that does not have a decocking mechanism, it will always be decocked in a situation that even IF a human mistake was made and it happened to be loaded ( Not gonna happen ) nothing worse then a bang and embarrassment will ensue.
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    You never point a weapon or pull the trigger especially, at anything you don't intend to shoot. There is NO excuse for a negligent discharge

Exactly...period
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    LOL! You guys are funny. I never ment for this to turn into some debate. I agree with just about everything everybody is saying. YOU WIN..... I just wanted to share a scary moment is all. I didn't think it would turn into this. This will be my last post in this thread

Peace.:)
  • MikeC78
    edited February 2008
    Not trying to be funny or make a debate(there is nothing to debate about), just want to make sure something careless like this doesn't happen again.

Stay safe...
  • Face
    edited February 2008
    ****...there is absolutely no possible way in the world I or any properly trained person should pull the trigger on a firearm with the muzzle pointed in a direction that could cause harm. I dont care if you checked that it was not loaded 20 times...its just not something you do period.
    I never said you. But, I know a few people who go through vigorous firearms training EVERY year and still managed to put a hole through their wall, leg, or foot.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    Face - sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
    DKG999

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    The poor refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    I never said you. But, I know a few people who go through vigorous firearms training EVERY year and still managed to put a hole through their wall, leg, or foot.

I didnt take that personally...its all good...and unfortunately I do know one dummy that did just that....we never let him live it down for 12 years either...he was the manager of MY manager...real bigshot at work...pulled the clip on his H&K91 and magically thought it was unloaded.

Ended up putting a 30 caliber sized hole in his ceiling...a downstairs apt no less...luckily no one was home upstairs. It feels really really good to call your managers manager a dumb **** :)
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    The poor refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot.

I dont know...the coffee pot took it in stride :D
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2008
    ROFl look at the third picture..the dog in the reflection is in the bedroom like "im getting outa here before i get blasted"..

1 question though. what were you doing with the shotgun? i know you said he was checking to see if it was loaded, what was the trigger pull for? "well i pumped the ejector and nothing came out..so JUSSSSST to make sure it wasnt loaded i pulled the trigger"?

someone referred to taking some NRA firearms safety classes. you responded that you have handled firearms for many years and don't think you need them. i would ask you to reconsider because it shows that just because you've handled firearms a long time doesn't mean you understand how they operate. if none of you thought to at least just visually to check the chamber..i'm still kind of afraid for your safety and the people around you.

when i unload my handgun every night, no matter how many times i do it and no matter how POSITIVE i am there's nothing in the chamber..i will never ever just pull the trigger.