Which components do you recommend?

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got a set of Boston Pro 60, Boston SPG555 and an Alpine PDX-4.150 all on layaway. But with the newly arrival of Alpine's improved Type-X I've wondered if that's what I should have. But also so many people have said so many excellent things about Polk Signature Reference too. I'm just wondering what would the majority of people go with? Also does anybody know how to make an awesome SOUNDING but completely custom subwoofer(s) install a 96 Saturn SW1 station wagon hatch? Because that's what this'll be going in. I know a wagon is **** but it's all I can afford insurance wise. If it was up to me I'd have a brand new Shelby GT500, but I can't afford the payment plus the outrageous insurance payment for myself. My system right now is factory with the exception of an Alpine CDA-9831 deck, Polk dB 6x9 in speaker boxes in the back (6x9 isn't the stock size and they were a gift) and I've hooked up some Kove Audio tweeters. The tweeters I would call them bright I think is the right word I'm not sure. I know they'll hurt your ears right off the bat. I'm wondering if I would like the brightness that everybody says goes along with the Bostons? I probably could afford the new Type-X but I'd definately have to think a while for the Polks but in the end might be able to manage it. What does everybody think? I'd kinda like to do the Alpine's because my deck is Alpine and my amp that I'll be getting is Alpine and also in the end my sub amp is gonna be an Alpine PDX-1.1000.
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    its a polk audio forum, but still i will vote on the SRs becouse i have a SR sub and its amazing, and i trust on the opinion of a lot of people here.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited February 2008
    I have a pair of Alpine Type X SPX-177r (which I suppose is an older model of the same line). They are nice speakers (replaced some db640's), but they didn't wow me much. Other than the midbass which was much better, the sound wasn't what I was hoping for.

In fact, my rear DB6500's are sometimes clearer.... so I can only imagine what the SR's will do. As soon as I have 500 spare I will be swapping for some SR's... so there goes my vote.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Wow! It kinda seems like I know what I should really go for LOL What about some help on designing a custom subwoofer install job in the back of a hatch area?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    SR's. They work pretty well for me (see sig).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    I just about have the money for the SR's! I'm so excited to get them and pair them with my Alpine amp. I'm having trouble coming up with a creative custom subwoofer install in the back of a station wagon hatch area. Also with the rear speakers being in the hatch door itself what should I do about that? They're also 6.5" too.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2008
    I have 2 pairs of the 6500's in my accord along with 2 sr124dvc subs.........love every driving minute now........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • surefire
    surefire Posts: 25
    edited February 2008
    The SR's without doubt. They were just awarded third place in Australia in Incar Entertainment magazine for best speakers over $1000. Seas Lotus Reference only just beat them as both speakers share many similar sound characteristics, but the Seas were just a fraction more refined. They cost $300 more than the Polks here. Focal Utopia kit 7 came second, but they retail at $4699 in Australia whereas the Polks are $1350. So look at the difference you need to spend to better the Polks...
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    OK guys I'm pretty sure of what speakers I'm getting. I've got about $300 saved towards them right now so I'm almost there. I really need help with the sub install. And I'm thinking about taking my spare tire out and doing something there. Only thing for some reason it's always seeming wet there. My rear windshield wiper fluid piece is loose as can be maybe this is the reason? More importantly I know you guys can come up with something.

SO PLEASE MTV PIMP MY RIDE!!!!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    "you X to the Z here"....
    k anyways, what are u looking to do in the back, do u want looks, do u want space, do u want hidden....
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Well honestly I think it looks like it's gonna be all three LOL Not being a smartass or anything but I want it to be hidden and out of the way but still hit clean like it's supposed to and when it's all said and done I like for it to look good also. Maybe this is something I should talk about with my installers when I get around to that time huh?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, I've been searching long and hard over at wooferstec and stumbled upon these MB Quarts and I was wondering if y'all think they'd be a better investment than the Polk SR's
  • surefire
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, I've been searching long and hard over at wooferstec and stumbled upon these MB Quarts and I was wondering if y'all think they'd be a better investment than the Polk SR's

I'd stick with the Polks to be honest. You would need to spend significantly more cash to find something better than the Polks.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2008

Depends on your listening preferences. Quarts tend to be a little harsher in the high end due to their titanium tweeters. They have a natural sound like the Polks but the Polks are considerably smoother in the highs.

If you listen to a lot of clean jazz or that type of music, you might prefer the Quarts. If you listen to rock or anything with a hard edge to it, the Polks all the way.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Hi-Buy
    Hi-Buy Posts: 110
    edited February 2008
    I know you are looking for opinions on the 3 sets you picked but you might want to look into hertz or rainbow considering your budget. Also, I have heard good things about the bostons pro60's and the alpine x's. Me personally i am hooked on rainbows and will never go with anything else except maybe another set of hertz.

I have never heard a bad thing about these companys and most if not all people that buy them are hooked. Check the other forums if you don't believe me.

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=2&pro=1

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
    Big thanks to "Neskahi" !
  • surefire
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the Hertz Mille are an excellent speaker, I find them just a bit too clinical though. They are beautifully detailed, solid mid-bass but don't do it for me like the Polk SR. Personally if I had the cash, I'd grab either kit 6 (2-way) or kit 7 (3 way) from the Focal Utopia range, and run them off the Focal dual monitor amp which gives you a dual 30 band EQ.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Yeah well I don't have $3,000 to spend on just my components up front! I mean spending $600 is pushing it for me. I also found these Dynaudio System 240GT also. Would the Polks be better than them? They're exactly the same price. And also I found these CDT Audio UP-629CF and they come with a pair of the coaxials for the rear fill. I've also thought about the Rockford Power components, Kicker SS and JL Audio Evolution ZR components as well. All in all am I still better off going with the Polks?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    The 240s are a fantastic set of speakers, certainly on par with the the SRs. I really dislike CDT, they sound like crap. The RF Power components are pretty damn good, but the SRs are a better setup. The Kicker SS are terrible. The ZR components are a nice offering from JL, but lag behind a lot of components in their price range.

If you want to go with a 3-way system, its damn near necessary to run active with a nice processor. I tried passive in my last truck, but I'm certain I couldve got a 2-way setup to work better with the same amount of time I put into the install of the 3-ways. Introducing more speakers at different path lengths is a great way to blur your detail and staging, although it will help your imaging.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Well OK if it's a tossup between the Polks and the Dynaudio's then what am I better off with?
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited February 2008
    POLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone has there own taste and a speaker is only as good as the room you put it in. Purchase the Polks, you'll be happy, and deaden as much as you can.

Edit: After I completly deadened and sealed my doors my buddy thought I added another sub. Imaging was also greatly improved
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Thank you I think that's what I'm going with come next payday.
  • surefire
    edited February 2008
    Well OK if it's a tossup between the Polks and the Dynaudio's then what am I better off with?

Have you listened to either set of speakers? If you've got it down to a choice of 2, let your ears do the deciding.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Well I have no way of demoing the two. But...I do have a pair of the db 6x9 and they sound great so I can just imagine what the SR components sound like. I have not gotten a chance to hear Dynaudio at all.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2008
    The SR's are a very nice set of speakers. I've not heard the new Alpine Pro's...look forward to listening to a set.

I also agree with Hi-Buy, both Hertz and Rainbow also make some very nice speakers within this price range.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    OK I've got it set next payday I'll get the SR's. My amp first off is an Alpine PDX-4.150. That should be good enough for the SR's right? I'll be probably not too soon getting a 2000+ Monte Carlo SS instead of my 96 Saturn wagon. What should be my move after this as far as like a sub goes? And will an Alpine PDX-1.1000 be good enough for one 10" or even 2 10"s?
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2008
    The sub will depend on what you are after. For SQ purposes I like the Arc Audio ARC Series subs (very similar to the Image Dynamics IDQ line), The RL-i series from Soundsplinter, JL W6v2, and my current Alpine Type-X. All of these subs sound very nice, the latter edging out the others on the very low stuff, but it is not as efficient. The 1000 watt Alpine amp should be more than enough to push a couple of 10's.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    The mono alpine amp wont be for a while. It'll be the 2 Polks and a sub ran off a PDX-41.150. For SQ to a "T" should I get a 10" or a 12"? I've been told that 10"s are more tighter and punchier and also more accurate than a 12", is this true? Can I put a Polk 10" in my spare tire well and it hit like it's supposed to? Or get a box built for the sub? Not only do I want this to sound good but also look as good as it sounds.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2008
    I myself have gone down to a 10" sub from a 12", not for SQ purposes, but rather for gaining a little more trunk space at the time. I would go with what works with my application, I do not believe that a 10" would be more accurate than a 12" if you are talking about the same sub line. As long as you have enough air space (what is recommended for the enclosure) for the sub, the spare tire well should work out fine.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    Adjustable frequency bands:
    BAND1 : 40Hz, 60Hz, 90Hz
    BAND2 : 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz
    BAND3 : 500Hz, 700Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 6kHz
    BAND4 : 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz

Adjustable band width:
    BAND1 : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0,
    BAND2 : 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
    BAND3 : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
    BAND4 : 1.0 (fixed band width)

I'm lost on this. Can somebody teach me how to tune? LOL I want me settings to be right for when I get my Polks installed and I don't have to pay somebody extra to calibrate everything for me. I wanna know how to do it that way I can tune it to how I like it.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2008
    Adjustable frequency bands:
    BAND1 : 40Hz, 60Hz, 90Hz
    BAND2 : 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz
    BAND3 : 500Hz, 700Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 6kHz
    BAND4 : 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz

Each band can be set to adjust one of those frequencies listed. For instance, band 1 can centered either on 40, 60 or 90 Hz.
    Adjustable band width:
    BAND1 : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0,
    BAND2 : 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
    BAND3 : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
    BAND4 : 1.0 (fixed band width)

This is the width of the curve that the EQ adjusts. Say you want to tweak on 2000 Hz. It wont just bring up 2000 - itll bring up surrounding frequencies in an arc with the highest point being 2K and then rolling off to either side. So a wider bandwidth would adjust more frequencies while a narrow bandwidth would adjust less. So if you wanted to adjust everything from 800 Hz to 4 KHz, a wider bandwidth centered on 2 KHz would be in order.

• JoshParsons84
    edited February 2008
    What do you think I should set everything on?