Petition for HD DVD

landry_p2000
landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Cancel.
Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
Post edited by landry_p2000 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Oh god, you can't be serious? Give it up. It's over. This is so silly anymore.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Bad idea, while I agree that HD-DVD should have won had consumers had their pick instead of Sony bribing the win, having too high-res formats would cause a net loss for consumers. Now all of those fence sitters will enter the fray and costs and quality should greatly improve for all of us. There is still plenty of competition between the software and hardware manufacturers that I doubt we will see players at $1K and movies at $50 like most fear. If anything, I expect Blu-ray to follow the DVD curve from the late 90's.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2008
    If I had sawed it there would be three formats ... wouldn't there ?
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    If I had sawed it there would be three formats ... wouldn't there ?

Damn boy, what you smokin today?
    No excuses!
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2008
    Okay. Bad idea. I guess I am way too late. Nevermind.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    A dollar late and a day short.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    I won't be signing that petition.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    Just send them a check for $3 Billion, that should be enough to cover all the losses and bribe the rest of the studios and retailers to go HD exclusive.
    Venom
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I won't be signing that petition.

Pu$$y!!!
    No excuses!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited February 2008
    Eff Hd DVD. They lost so let it die. Also Eff formats wars.

Go Blu
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2008
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    I'll just say for the record right now,

If anybody wants to sell off their HDDVD collection in a panic, I'll buy them. I was thinking $6-$10 each, depending on the title:)

I now have an XA2, and its not going anywhere due to its prowess with SDDVD upconverting. As long as I have room on my shelf for two players and have spare HDMI inputs, I'll be a friend of both formats.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • buton6
    buton6 Posts: 18
    edited February 2008
    Finally
    Denon 3803
    Denon CD
    old Sony Receiver 110W/ch
    LSI25 two rights looking to swap for one left (what can I say it was a good deal on two rights)
    CS101 center looking for LSiC
    KEF KIT200 and IQ3
    Cervin Vega AT-12 and LS-12
    JBL TLX181
    white van Dynalab speakers
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    Ding Dong the witch is dead....:)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2008
    billbillw wrote: »

If anybody wants to sell off their HDDVD collection in a panic, I'll buy them. I was thinking $6-$10 each, depending on the title:)

Ditto!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2008
    billbillw wrote: »

I now have an XA2, and its not going anywhere due to its prowess with SDDVD upconverting. As long as I have room on my shelf for two players and have spare HDMI inputs, I'll be a friend of both formats.

Check your local craigslist- people have been dumping them left and right around here.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2008
    Can we start a petition for Sony to bring back the Betamax? :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Check your local craigslist- people have been dumping them left and right around here.

I have been, but most of these people want more than $10 each, even for the crappy titles. I'm negotiating with a few people right now.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    deepdiscountdvd has some titles for $12.20 each, shipped. no tax. decent titles as well.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Bad idea, while I agree that HD-DVD should have won had consumers had their pick instead of Sony bribing the win, having too high-res formats would cause a net loss for consumers. Now all of those fence sitters will enter the fray and costs and quality should greatly improve for all of us. There is still plenty of competition between the software and hardware manufacturers that I doubt we will see players at $1K and movies at $50 like most fear. If anything, I expect Blu-ray to follow the DVD curve from the late 90's.

Who did Sony Bribe?:confused:
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    I wanna save Laserdisc. Who's with me?
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited February 2008
    How about CDI?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    Somebody just wont let go...kinda like the mama that keeps dragging her dead baby around. http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12929/13953/lg-back-hddvd-disc-players.phtml
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    Somebody just wont let go...kinda like the mama that keeps dragging her dead baby around. http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12929/13953/lg-back-hddvd-disc-players.phtml

You know why>????

As soon as poeple start seeing HD DVD's going for $15 or less, they will start buying up all remaining HD DVD's and buy a dirt cheap HD player. Sit back in their comfy recliners and enjoy the hell out of a format long gone.

So they, like myself, will have 20-30 hd DVD's and a HD player, that cost $100 (hell I'll spend $100 on **** every month). Total would cost them $500. Alot less than a BR player and they are sitting with 20-30 movies to watch.

HD DVD's for $15?? Where is a player so I can watch every one of them??? LG has it...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    You know why>????

As soon as poeple start seeing HD DVD's going for $15 or less, they will start buying up all remaining HD DVD's and buy a dirt cheap HD player. Sit back in their comfy recliners and enjoy the hell out of a format long gone.

So they, like myself, will have 20-30 hd DVD's and a HD player, that cost $100 (hell I'll spend $100 on **** every month). Total would cost them $500. Alot less than a BR player and they are sitting with 20-30 movies to watch.

HD DVD's for $15?? Where is a player so I can watch every one of them??? LG has it...

My XA2 ( And prob your XA1 ) plays discs great...its the 3rd generation players that I think helped seal Toshiba's ( HD-DVD ) fate. I have a few friends locally ( Higher end A35's too ) and a lot more on another forum who are having nothing but problems with theirs.

Now IF LG can make realiable players ....they might have a market for a while...even though combo players would be a smarter thing to invest money into.
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I wanna save Laserdisc. Who's with me?

Hey I aint gettin rid of my high end Pioneer Laser disc player either...not with over a hundred laser discs I am not :)

It even plays the other side without me getting up...now thats high tech
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited February 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    You know why>????

...(hell I'll spend $100 on **** every month)...

Damn dude, I remember when **** was just $30 a month.... inflation! :mad:

You know what it is? It is those evil, imperialist, megalomaniacal **** tycoons in the middle east (and texas) gettin rich off the backs of the little guy! :D
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    sbpolk wrote: »
    Damn dude, I remember when **** was just $30 a month.... inflation! :mad:

You know what it is? It is those evil, imperialist, megalomaniacal **** tycoons in the middle east (and texas) gettin rich off the backs of the little guy! :D

Lets just blame it on Cuba and call it a day.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek: