What percentage of your system is audio/video?

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Would just like to know -

I personally budget 50% for video and 50% for audio gear, although recently it seems like I'm a little biased towards audio and less towards video, so I'd say something like 55% video / 45% audio.

So what percentage of your system consists of audio gear vs. video gear? Right now I'm just trying to make up a budget for the future...
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Would just like to know -

I personally budget 50% for video and 50% for audio gear, although recently it seems like I'm a little biased towards audio and less towards video, so I'd say something like 55% video / 45% audio.

So what percentage of your system consists of audio gear vs. video gear?

I've got $1500 in a 50" plasma and the rest is the AV gear "maybe" totaling another $2000. (those prices are at cost...I don't pay retail :D )But, I don't have a lot in my HT system as I barely watch movies, etc, although it is 7.1 with a Sunfire sub, and all inwall/inceilings. My most money is in the dedicated 2-channel system that sits next to it.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2008
    oops...duplicate post. Not sure how to delete this.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    Well the only video items in m rig are a $1400 LCD tv, and a $99 HD-A2 player.

So that works out to about 11.6% video and 88.4% audio.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    27.3576% video and 72.6424% audio
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    100% audio. Video is overrated.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    100% audio. Video is overrated.

So how do you watch TV?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• zx_toth
    zx_toth Posts: 417
    edited February 2008
    38 % Video (HDTV, DVD Player)
    62 % Audio (Reciever, External Amp, 7 Speakers, 1 sub)

Cables, Line Conditioner, Video Game systems not included in calculations.

This will sway further to the Audio side as I upgrade center speaker, sub, get an extra amp. I could see it going to 75-80% audio ... thats nothing to sneaze at when you consider I am still paying back the damn 3 grand my TV cost!! Argh!

Z
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    I don't. I watch maybe three shows every week with my wife downstairs. I had a complete A/V system up until last year when it dawned on me that I listen to music 98% more than I watch TV.

Since the DVR is upstairs, I have a 3" portable DVD player and hardware/software to copy shows she wants to watch off the DVR for downstars viewing....and if she wants to watch it upstairs, she can watch it on the computer or the DVD player.

Basically, I don't like 99% of what's on TV anymore, but I do love music! :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited February 2008
    I don't. I watch maybe three shows every week with my wife downstairs. I had a complete A/V system up until last year when it dawned on me that I listen to music 98% more than I watch TV.

Since the DVR is upstairs, I have a 3" portable DVD player and hardware/software to copy shows she wants to watch off the DVR for downstars viewing....and if she wants to watch it upstairs, she can watch it on the computer or the DVD player.

Basically, I don't like 99% of what's on TV anymore, but I do love music! :D

Shut the hell up Tom!!!:mad:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Probably 85-90% music.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Then I guess you don't watch movies either?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    Right now it's about 50/50, but only because we bought our 50" hd plasma before the prices really started to drop, along with a couple of good ebay purchases on surround speakers

It'll be weighted more towards audio when I get a decent sub in the next month or so.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2008
    I'd say I have 33.333% audio, 33.333% movie, and 33.333% music/video (such as live concerts). I have ZERO television in the house, no cable, no satellite, no signal. That is for the downstairs system.

The upstairs system is 80% XM radio, 10% video and 10% audio.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    Ooops sorry, ratios. Ok 90% is audio.
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    98% cable
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    100% enjoyment :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    I just keep them separate. HT in the great room, 2-channel in my music room.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    this is whacked... of course we're all going to say. audio is more important than video.. and you can certainly spend tons more on audio then you ever could on video.

video you need a tv.. and a dvd player.. and that's about it.. you don't need amps.. those fall under audio. you don't need speakers.. there again that falls under audio portion of a home theater..

some people move out audio gear two or three times a year. ie: different receviers, amps, pre amps, etc.. would you ever swap out three TVs' in a year? Highly doubtful.

to me video is just as important as audio.. if my TV picture sucks.. i do what tweaks I can to improve it.. much like audio.

Say your Plasma TV ran you $2100 today... and you want to match that with the same amount for audio.. what exactly could you buy for $2100? how many amps, receivers, speakers, subwoofers, cables, ect? not much i believe.

ok, i'm out.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Sorry if I came across the wrong way, but I didn't mean to make this a "how much did you spend" thread or anything like that.

Right now I am trying to work out a budget and I was just interested in the ratios :) That's all.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• treitz3
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Then I guess you don't watch movies either?
    Once in a blue moon.
    Lightman1 wrote:
    Shut the hell up Tom!!!
    My lips are sealed beauch!!! :p:D :mad:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Video is 32.3 percent (repeating, of course).
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Once in a blue moon.

Is that at a movie theater? Going to the movies ROCKS!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    The video side is probably more than I'd care to admit.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited February 2008
    Counting all my audio gear? 6% / 94%, in favor of audio. I don't even have a surround sound setup or a sub :p

I keep thinking a decent 42" Panny plasma would be a great upgrade for the money.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    100% audio, 0% video.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    joeparaski wrote: »
    I'd say I have 33.333% audio, 33.333% movie, and 33.333% music/video (such as live concerts). I have ZERO television in the house, no cable, no satellite, no signal. That is for the downstairs system.

The upstairs system is 80% XM radio, 10% video and 10% audio.

Joe

That's right Joe cause we don't have TVs in our igloos....;)

well it's tough cause I use my audio gear to assist my video. I have more audio gear than video.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Me... almost all music, when I have the kids movie time. Money wise 90/10. Time wise 99.99/.01
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2008
    Outside of the TV I have a $200 DVD player which is probably 5 years old. No HD player yet. I'm focused on 2 channel now. That said it's roughly 2/1 in favor of 2 channel spending.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2008
    Willow wrote: »
    That's right Joe cause we don't have TVs in our igloos....;)

well it's tough cause I use my audio gear to assist my video. I have more audio gear than video.

Geezz....I wonder if there are still a few Americans out there that think we live in Igloos??

Hey Willow, I spent the day in Ottawa yesterday for your "Winterlude" celebration. April Wine was there that evening for the outdoor concert. I would have stayed out there longer but wifey and daughter were getting cold.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Geezz....I wonder if there are still a few Americans out there that think we live in Igloos??

Hey Willow, I spent the day in Ottawa yesterday for your "Winterlude" celebration. April Wine was there that evening for the outdoor concert. I would have stayed out there longer but wifey and daughter were getting cold.

Joe

We planned on going before I got injured, we've never been skating on the canal together (11yrs now) We'll have to wait till next yr. There is so much to do and some of the sculptures are just amazing. But it never seems to fail that it always rains during Winterlude.