LSi9 in the house! First Impressions

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited December 2002 in Speakers
They finally arrived! I've been listening to them for over an hour and I am pretty damn impressed. These speakers sounds much better than I expected! I was worried my Onkyo wouldn't power them properly, but damn they sound great. I actually think the Onkyo enjoys powering the LSi9 better than my 800i. The presentation sounds more effortless and they SLAM way harder than the 800i's(hell, their ports even smell better). I actually went up to the subwoofer twice to mae sure it wasn't on! The bass is just amazing and it hits hard and fast. Imaging is very good and I'm expecting improvements as they begin to break-in.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I 2nd that..............congrads dude....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hey Organ I hope you injoy the 9's as much as i do..
    now my next quest is to put some power to the things...
    "Rotel power" !!!!!!!!
    Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Shannon W,
    Another fan of Rotel..........hell alot of people in here is going Rotel, we should start a Rotel fan club.........LOL

I'm all About Rotel.
    Dan
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I'm all about Arcam.

The Arcam - LSi match is phenominal IMO.

Enjoy the goods!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I have been a fan of Rotel for years, great stuff.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • organ
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I'll be powering them with some Rotel juice this summer(RSX-1055). My Onkyo doesn't seem to be stuggling at all. I was even pushing them pretty hard earlier today. Anyways, I'm having a blast listening to them especially after fixing the left speaker(see my other post).

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    checking out the rsx1055 huh.....super cool man.Thats one hell of a killer receiver(intergraded)
    Dan
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Organ-
    Which Onkyo do you have and did you switch the output to 4ohms? I have a 595 and am thinking about getting the 9's and am curious as to whether or not people are running them at 4ohms and if so does this hurt my other 8 ohm speakers
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Soccerplyr,
    I have the 575 which I believe was replaced by your 595. 75w/channel right? I don't have an impedance switch on mine but I have read several articles where they suggested leaving the switch at 8 Ohms even when running 4 Ohms speakers. They said the 4 Ohms setting will compress the sound and it should be safe to use 8 Ohms. It's better to try both settings and use the one that sounds best to you. I'm sure you'll really like the 9's. Mine has been breaking in fo 18+hrs and I can hear improvements in the mids. The soundstage is much bigger now and the speakers are much more transparent.

mantis,
    That rotel looks like a kick **** receiver. I'm also planning on getting one of their 2ch amp for music. Which one would you recommend?(<$1000USD)

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Maurice,
    check out the RB1070....it's only 699.99.It has 130 x 2 into an 8 ohm load and 210 x 2 into a 4 ohm load.It's got 400 dampening factor.Plenty of head room,you could goas far as saying it was limitless headroom.
    At this price point ,you'll have 300.01 to put towards there preamp.add alittle and get alot.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited December 2002
    Options
    good going organ, that the speaker that i want, for my aragon stuff
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks organ. The 595 did replace the 575x. Any trouble with heat?

Now I need to decide if I want to get the 9's and matching center channel or the RTi70's and a 43" wide screen Hitachi. If only I was rich!
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    We all wish we where rich my man..........I would live,breath,be audio and video........not that I don't already,I would just.................................................
    Dan
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    mantis,
    Thanx for the info. I checked Rotel's site and I think that should be the best choice for me. I don't think I'll need more headroom or power than what the amp provides since I do near-field listening.

Soccerplyr,
    No problems with heat here. The receiver gets as hot(warm actualy) as having a pair of 800i which I had used before getting the LSi. Just be sure to provide plenty of ventilation. This may be why the receiver doesn't get hotter than running my 800i. Mine has 5" of space around the sides and 6" from the top of the receiver to the top of the rack.
    I just found out in anoter forum that setting the switch to 4Ohms will cut off some power to the voltage supply to prevent the receiver from over-heating. But by doing this, the speakers won't get as much current and you'll get bad compression. Leave the switch at 8 Ohms. I was checking out the impedance graph for the LSi9 at soundstage.com and they look more like 5-6 Ohms nominal instead of 4. I remember a member from this forum contated Polk's customer service and he was told the LSi9 are 6Ohms even though the specs say 4.

Joe,
    I'm sure you'll enjoy them. They are the best speakers I've ever heard. I could listen to them all day long and not get bored. They are just fun to listen to.

Maurice
  • Soccerplyr
    edited December 2002
    Options
    How do they sound in a home theater application? Most of what I've found out only has people refering to music, but little discussion about movies. I will use them for about 40% TV (directv tivo, best toy ever) 40% movies and 20% music (I love dvd-audio, even on my normal dvd player)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Soccerplyr,
    I haven't tried HT with them yet because I listen to music a lot more then HT and I have a CSi40 center and RT5 surrounds. This is not a good match until I upgrade to LSi all around. But last night I was playing Splinter Cell on my XBOX using 2 channel instead of the game's 5.1 DD and it sounded very good. So I guess HT should sound as impressive as music with these speakers.

Maurice
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I still haven't yet actually heard the LSI's as there is no dealer yet within an hours drive from me (and I'm in what would at least be considered a mid-major sized market), but I'd almost be willing to bet that on movies and/or hard rock/heavy metal music, the RTi line might actually be better than the LSI for those purposes.
    What do other's who have extensive experience with both think?
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I prefer listening to the Lsi's during movies and programs. The detail these speakers produce makes voices more intelligible. For instance I was watching an episode of the Sapronos where Tony was talking to the one legged russian girl in a hospital. She would say something in a thick russian accent and they would print her words out knowing most people could not make out what she was saying. The Lsi's produced her voice so clearly, there was no mistake in what she saying. As far as Heavy Metal music. I'm not into it but if I was, I would not even consider buying Polks. Klipsch has this beat hands down. Heavy metal and hard rock for the most part does not contain alot of channel seperation and this is where the Klipsch speakers shine. Loud and in your face is the best way to listen to that kind of music. I can't even imagine listening to Megadeath on a pair of polks.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • organ
    edited December 2002
    Options
    bigsexy1,
    The LSi can certainly rock. They blow away my 800i for black, goth, death, speed and power metal. They hit harder and remain clear. I'll put it this way. The 800i sounds thin compared to the LSi9. the 800i is like mild coffe and the LSi is full body.

jrausch,
    90% of metal music have great channel seperation. Rhythim guitar on left, lead on right, drums dead center, keyboards is like an orchestra(left high strings, right low strings) and vocals can be found all over the place depending on whether there is a lot of backing vocals or not, but main vocals are usually centered. I can hear a much better channel seperation on the LSi than the RT line becase the soundstage is way bigger and deeper.

Maurice
  • gtbiker
    gtbiker Posts: 15
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The LSi's are great for HT. Toss in the Blade 2 DVD and listen to all the detail the LSi's put out. You'll think the sword is actually slicing right in your room. As for the 8 ohm 4 ohm debate. I don't know yet. I have a Sony STR-DE435 ( upgrading soon ) switched to play 4 ohm's and I can make some scrambled eggs and hotcakes on it if I really pump the 9's in "2 channel music mode" for an extended amt of time.
    LSi9, LSiC, PSW1200, Definitive Technology BP2X surrounds, Sony rcvr STR-DE435, Panasonic DVD-RA60