Senate shields phone companies from lawsuits re: illegal surveillance of US citizens

2»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    Then bring them HOME & let them give their lives HERE on OUR soil!

I don't care if the government is listening in to my phone calls I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG or ILLEGAL!!!

When they try to tell me I can't MAKE calls or TALK on the phone, then I'll worry about it.

So long as I still have the freedom to make the calls, that is all that is what matters. So long as I can say what I want on the phone, that is what is important.

Now if I lose my mind & say I'm going to go to DC & blow up the White House over the phone, I think they would have every right to come in & drag me away & find out WTH is wrong with me!

Those of you who are so paranoid about this stuff need to take yourselves out to some remote part of Alaska & do whatever the hell you want. You'll be far enough away so that you won't know what the Gov. or anyone else is doing & the rest of us can just live our lives as usual!

I would hope you have more important things to worry about!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised no one has re-made that movie since the 80's.

V for Vendetta kinda reminded me of that.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    V for Vendetta kinda reminded me of that.

That movie reminded you of 1984?

??????????????????????????????

How so, maybe I forgot both movies.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    jflail2 wrote:
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Some dude named Ben Franklin said something along those lines a few years back. Sounded like a mildly intelligent guy...

I'm giving up NO FREEDOM. I can say what I want...do what I want...go where I want. We are STILL the most FREE nation on the face of the earth. If the government finds a reason to spy because of my activities...they can spy away. My freedom is being protected by dealing with issues that would take my liberty away. If you think Franklin, Washington, etc...and all of the other "revoultionaries" of their time did not use underhanded even "illegal" tactics to obtain what they wanted or felt was necessary...you are sadly mistaken. People take the words of our founding fathers and apply them much broader than they were ever intended. The ones who cry about the tactics of the government trying to protect us are usually the first ones to cry and whine and blame when bad things happen. Why did "THEY" (the government) let this happen...it's all their fault. Let them spy if it keeps us SAFE and FREE!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Wow some of you guys really scare me.

"I don't care because I'm not doing anything wrong" is one of the more dangerous attitudes you can have. Ask the Chinese how that worked out for them.

The problem with all of these things is it seems like so many of its supporters are naive enough to think that someone in power is going to do what they say they're going to do. Look around you, how well has that worked out over the past 50 years?

And I think using the words of the founding fathers for this type of thign is the perfect application - they just escaped from under an oppressive regime that carefully took away their rights piece by piece, and they created a government which was unable to do that. It's been 300 years and we're forgetting it all and letting history repeat itself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2008
    Outstanding post Shack!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    bikezappa wrote: »

Well, its been a looong time since I read/watched 1984 in grade school so I looked up imdb synopsis for V for Vendetta
    ...Evey will be chased by the secret police, thinking that she's the accomplice of V, who will accomplish Fawkes' mission of destroying the Parlament on the 5th of November, in this mixture of The Phantom of the Opera, George Orwell's 1984 and Batman.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2008
    When we become a Communist country like China, then I'll worry about it! But since that is very unlikely to happen I'll worry about more immediate concerns.:rolleyes:
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Wow some of you guys really scare me.

"I don't care because I'm not doing anything wrong" is one of the more dangerous attitudes you can have. Ask the Chinese how that worked out for them.

The problem with all of these things is it seems like so many of its supporters are naive enough to think that someone in power is going to do what they say they're going to do. Look around you, how well has that worked out over the past 50 years?
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    bikezappa wrote: »

The plot of V for Vendetta wasn't 1984, but the government was a 1984-like government. Spying, oppressive, Big Brother character, etc.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    I dunno... I think its hard to see how you could disregard either side of the argument so lightly.

Sure, privacy, slippery slope, Franklin's quote, we're all familiar with the arguments.

However, if an intelligence agency had information about terrorists in the U.S. plotting another 9/11 style attack tomorrow morning, would you want them to be able to tap the necessary phone lines tonight or not?
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    Reminds me of "First They Came"

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

It also reminds me of the frog in boiling water quote from:

"My 9th grade science teacher once told me that if you put a frog in boiling water, it'll jump out but if you put it in cold water and heat it up gradually, it'll just sit there and slowly boil to death. 2. what's that, harry, your recipe for frog soup? 1. that's my recipe for disaster, if we got here today, we'd know we were in hot water and we'd put this town on alert!"
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Ya know, I keep seeing PINHEADS like Rosie, and Robert Redford, whining like the spoiled little **** they are, about losing all these RIGHTS!
    Question: WHICH ONES??? Obviously NOT the right to be spoiled little WHINERS!!!
    All the far left loons keep saying that this Georges fault!
    Guess what: EVEN if Billary or Barack gets elected, they WON'T REVERSE this measure,
    because they don't want another 9/11 on THEIR WATCH!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Gaara wrote: »
    Reminds me of "First They Came"

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

It also reminds me of the frog in boiling water quote from:

"My 9th grade science teacher once told me that if you put a frog in boiling water, it'll jump out but if you put it in cold water and heat it up gradually, it'll just sit there and slowly boil to death. 2. what's that, harry, your recipe for frog soup? 1. that's my recipe for disaster, if we got here today, we'd know we were in hot water and we'd put this town on alert!"

We are not talking about persecution by the government of innocent people. We are talking about the government taking the necessary steps to protect the nation as a whole from real and imminent threats. Our enemies don't fight by queensbury rules, genenva convention, or civilized rules of engagement. Extraordinary effort must be used to combat extraordinary threats.

Frogs are stupid. I'm not.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    I'm not at all left-wing, I'm actually pretty conservative, doesn't mean I'm going to roll over and let the government into my home. In fact, that's why I'm conservative; it used to be that conservatives wanted a smaller, more local government. Where did that go?
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    This has deteriorated into the same **** that it always does.

LADIES, one of the big rules here is no talking politics. No talking religion, and hang on, I think you're not supposed to talk guns.

So let this little piece of **** die the death it deserves.

If you got a problem either way with the government's recent ruling, write your freakin' congressman.
This discussion has been closed.