Netflix goes Blu-Ray

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
:mad::mad::mad:

We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Mark,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

Was only a matter of time....
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Way to pay attention Mark :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Way to pay attention Mark :)

Sorry I gave up on the BR/HD comparison threads after the first 15 threads.....

I just got the email 30 seconds prior to my post, so I figured it was recent news.

APPARENTLY NOT.

Thanks Man of Bobs.
  • J_Kennedy
    J_Kennedy Posts: 137
    edited February 2008
    Blockbuster did is waayyy back when. :D
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - Polk FXi3 Surrounds/Rear Surrounds
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    J_Kennedy wrote: »
    Blockbuster did is waayyy back when. :D

Thanks but the thread isn't about Blockbuster, we knew that. :rolleyes:

Netflix was the last real place to rent HD DVD titles as Bobman said.

Seems like it's one nail after another in the HD DVD coffin.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2008
    Nothing like a 'dear john' letter from your rental company to hammer the point home...they should at least give a coupon for some free service or something for all the hd-dvd people who signed up for their service...
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
    cheddar wrote: »
    Nothing like a 'dear john' letter from your rental company to hammer the point home...they should at least give a coupon for some free service or something for all the hd-dvd people who signed up for their service...

Yep, looks like it's time to cancel. :mad:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Yep, looks like it's time to cancel. :mad:

Why?
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Why?

To be honest, they just haven't been a good service for me. Half of the discs I get I need to send back because they are unplayable, and after you send two or three back, they want to know what your player is, what your "handling techniques" are, etc...I am kinda sick of paying for something that I need to worry about showing up screwed up. Maybe I just have bad luck.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited February 2008
    That's odd, I have been doing dvd by mail for three years, about half with Netflix and half with BB, and I can't recall ever receiving an unplayable disc from either company.

BB did not go Blu-Ray exclusive wayyyy back for their mail service, just the B&M stores. They still rent HD-DVD by mail although no doubt that will change before too long.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    To be honest, they just haven't been a good service for me. Half of the discs I get I need to send back because they are unplayable, and after you send two or three back, they want to know what your player is, what your "handling techniques" are, etc...I am kinda sick of paying for something that I need to worry about showing up screwed up. Maybe I just have bad luck.

You too?

Man 1 in 4 discs are unplayable from netflix for me atleast. They really need to start some sort of QC for their outgoing movies. Some of the movies i receive looks like someone hit them with some coarse sandpaper before they sent them.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    I have had both services and am frustrated by both. When I first joined Blockbuster Online, there were unlimited trade-ins in store. That was useful when Tuesdays new releases would come around and they weren't readily available on-line. Now they have a cap on how many you can trade in per month (I think it is 3 per month).

Netflix seems to have no new releases in its inventory. Every time I add one, it says "very long wait". Supply should meet the demand with these services. I don't mind waiting, but it isn't really a new release when it is 6 weeks old!;)

Either way, I just don't like making a trip to the store to inevitably find out that "Enter New Release Title Here" is unavailable. It takes 3 or 4 trips to find the title in stock.

Whatever, I'll keep paying anyway.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2008
    I got the email too. I wonder how much the BluRay group is paying Netflix to drop HDDVD?
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    I got maybe 3 unplayable discs from BBOnline when I had them for 2 years or so, and haven't gotten a single unplayable disc from Netflix for the past 3 months I've had them. I don't know if it's just you g uys have crappy players or live near bad distribution centers, but seriously... I can't imagine that much of a disparity.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I got maybe 3 unplayable discs from BBOnline when I had them for 2 years or so, and haven't gotten a single unplayable disc from Netflix for the past 3 months I've had them. I don't know if it's just you g uys have crappy players or live near bad distribution centers, but seriously... I can't imagine that much of a disparity.

When it looks like someone dragged a f$%kin nail across the disc, I don't even bother trying. I have received a number of them that have the sandpaper problem too, including one that actually HAD SAND in the damn envelope. All I got was "oh,sorry" from the **** nozzle on the phone at netflix...
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    No probs with NetFlix here ... always used them as I didn't want to support the whole Monopoly/BlockBuster/Satan thing

If it weren't for NF, BB would be about all there is
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008

That sucks, I thought it was because of the HD-DVD thing. I have been with Netflix for 3 years and it's been fantastic for me. Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

I hate Blockbuster with a passion. They're the reason I got on Netflix to begin with. The Blockbuster "NO LATE FEES" scam is what moved me away.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    One other thing....why do you need to CALL Netflix at all where you're from? If a disc is screwed up (my old roommate had a couple) he just sent them back and clicked something on his queue, click submit, and they didn't question it. Sent him back new ones and that was it. They never once made him feel like he was doing something wrong.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2008
    Yeah if you go on their website you just click "report problem", and they immediately send a replacement disc (without waiting for you to mail it in).
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited February 2008
    I have been getting Netflix for a long time now. I have never had a unplayable disk. I had dirty fingered up disk so I just wash them off with warm mild soap and water. Pat dry and the disk works great. A few where like that. I have rented hundreds.

I'm very cool that everyone is basically all switching to Blu RaY. I'll say it a million times I hate format wars.

GO BLU

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I got the email too. I wonder how much the BluRay group is paying Netflix to drop HDDVD?

Probably the same amount they paid Warner, nothing. :)
    Both companies will make more in profits than any payout they would have received, with the format war raging on.
    Venom
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    I keep thinking the war's about over, and it might be time to break down and go blu-ray.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    I had dirty fingered disk.

o_rly.jpg
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    One other thing....why do you need to CALL Netflix at all where you're from? If a disc is screwed up (my old roommate had a couple) he just sent them back and clicked something on his queue, click submit, and they didn't question it. Sent him back new ones and that was it. They never once made him feel like he was doing something wrong.

Oh no, they called me after I sent them two of the three discs I received as unplayable twice in a row. They decided it is MY fault that the discs were f$%ked, not thier own. I basically got questioned about "how I handle discs" and "maybe it is your player". Give me a f'in break. It was three weeks old when it happened, kiss my bright white ****. I put up with it this long because they are the only place where I can rent most of the HD-DVD titles I want to see, but since those are going away, I'll save the $15 a month and go bonkers when they start clearing them off the shelves.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    Have you upgraded your firmware? My dad was always getting discs that didn't play and a quick upgrade to the Toshiba completely fixed it.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    ledhed wrote: »
    Have you upgraded your firmware? My dad was always getting discs that didn't play and a quick upgrade to the Toshiba completely fixed it.

Oh yeah, I'm paranoid about that ****. only had it happen once.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited February 2008
    Heard about this yesterday and already sent an email to Netflix telling them that if / when they stop stocking new HD DVD titles, I will be cancelling my service with them.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd