1,000,000 Miles...CHEVY Silverado

obieone
obieone Posts: 5,077
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I was driving home tonight, and heard this d.j. talking to this guy on the phone. The guy on the phone was talking about how he had all the maintenance receipts for his truck, with the mileage recorded, and dates to correspond.
I thought they were talking about some legal issue?
Come to find out, as I was listening live, this guy rolled his odometer over to 000,000!!! Meaning he hit 1 million miles on his 1991 Silverado.
Originally, the guy had bought the truck with a 3 year note on it.
Guess what the mileage was after 3 years? 300,000!!!
Sorry, but this story blew my mind. I drive like 50-60k a year for work. and that sucks for me!
I'm glad I own an S10!
EDIT: He bought the truck w/ 41K on it in 1996. But still, 260k in 3 years?
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
Post edited by obieone on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Diesel I assume.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • obieone
    edited February 2008
    The 6 sites I went to(theres more) didn't mention what the engine was?
    Not that surprising though. A year and 1/2 ago, I quit a job, & the van I was driving(97 Astro), the original trans. went after 278K and it had 300k on it when I left.
    Someone's still driving it today.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    I have a 1994 Silverado 2500HD with mileage pushing 100K. Only issues are headliner failing at the back because I keep the window down, heating and A/C control unit malfunctioning [on the dining room table being repaired as I type] and..........................well, that's it. Daily driver. Semi daily hauler.

Great truck. No complaints.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    I drove a Astrovan for a autoparts store over 10 years ago. It had close to 200,000 miles on it at the time. Other than leaking from every seal, it ran great.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    My last truck was a 96 GMC gasoline truck, had over 210xxx miles on it. We had the power steering hose, ac compressor, and master cylinder go out. Thats the only things that we ever had problems with...and that truck went through some ****...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    I hit 280K in '78 Corolla.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    I had a 1995 Saturn SL1 with 295K miles on it and it was sold to a Mexican for $1000 cash and he drove it away. Not bad for a little 4-banger. Original clutch too!
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I hit 280K in '78 Corolla.
    I'd love to earn that much delivering pizza.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    350k in a 79 toyota celica I paid $2k for ...

Bought it with 90k, so 240k miles for $2000 not half bad

Getting a million miles, the trick is lots of highway driving. Cruising down the I for hundreds of miles at a time takes very little out of an engine. Stopping, starting, acceleration, warm up from cold to hot, etc. is what kills them.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2008
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. However, I wouldn't bet on it being the diesel. The diesel engines Chevy put in their trucks in that time frame were junk!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    87 Ranger 178,000 miles stopped running when I took it apart.
    94 Thunderbird 126,000 miles until I traded it in
    01 Lightning 100,648.9 miles. (just read the odometer) Runs fine. still going, not getting rid of it.
    98 Taurus 160,000 miles.
    94 Tempo 117,000 miles

I don't think I've owned a vehicle that hasn't broken 100,000 miles and I've only been driving for about 13-14 years.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    Diesel I assume.

Not a 1991 Chevy diesel.

Sorry AB....

you hit on this before me
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    I've only been driving for about 13-14 years.

Wow, you should pull over and get a coke.
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2008
    Here is a pic of one of my diesel trucks.

BTW, that is a Z-28 with some goodies and a pretty good driver.
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Nice exhaust plume
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    Just like the cartoons only smokin' a Camaro.

In a dually none the less.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Wow, you should pull over and get a coke.

Wow, you should go do something to yourself I'm not allowed to say here.

Add up my mileage. I didn't put the miles on just one car but I'm over 680,000 miles in my driving time. This guy did 1,000,000 miles in about 12 years. It's not impossible to make it happen. I was only trying to illustrate the point.

• HiPerf360
    edited February 2008
    I made more money street racing my truck than my heads up car.

That truck was so much fun, i would leave an extension ladder hanging out the back just for effect.

Notice the big hitch hanging out the back?
    My trailer was a gooskneck;)
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2008
    This guy did 1,000,000 miles in about 12 years. It's not impossible to make it happen. I was only trying to illustrate the point.

Not at all, a friend of mine transports exotic cars and racks up around 150,000 a year on his truck, and that is very easy for a full time hot shot driver to better.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    HiPerf360 wrote: »
    Not at all, a friend of mine transports exotic cars and racks up around 150,000 a year on his truck, and that is very easy for a full time hot shot driver to better.

I work on trash trucks that see about 200-225,000 miles a year just doing a daily route 6 days a week.

• treitz3
    edited February 2008
    "1,000,000 Miles...CHEVY Silverado"

Topic go bye-bye..........

My fault as well................
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2008
    Sorry about that.

ADD and message bords dont mi
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Wow, you should go do something to yourself I'm not allowed to say here.

Add up my mileage. I didn't put the miles on just one car but I'm over 680,000 miles in my driving time. This guy did 1,000,000 miles in about 12 years. It's not impossible to make it happen. I was only trying to illustrate the point.

That was meant as a joke, like:

Wow you've been driving for the last 13 years?!?!? (i.e as in straight, without stopping)

Good lord man, pull over and get a coke!!
  • obieone
    edited February 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    "1,000,000 Miles...CHEVY Silverado"

Topic go bye-bye..........

My fault as well................

I discovered AFTER I posted, that some guy in an Ford E250 van, reached 1M miles on 2/3/08. 5 Days B4 the guy I posted about. Which takes away MY ammo for C vs. F.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    I drive my **** off guys and have logged some miles in my time. I'm a traveling superintendent for a national general contractor. I get called on to put out fires all over the country when supers who thought they could do this traveling work couldn't cut the mustard. I've driven all of the big 3 in various models and I have to say I like the Dodges (diesel) the best for comfort and reliability. When I go to the track I drive a Chevy but its towed by a Dodge. My company pays me a rather healthy truck allowance of $700 a month and pays all my fuel with a fleet card. If I don't hit about 135k - 150k a year driving I'm slacking.

A small senerio...I'm working in Pensacola, FL. and get a call to shoot out to Chandler, AZ. (Phoenix) and be there in 2 days. I work there 2 days until they can send in a replacement. Leave and drive to Casper, WO. and work there for a week. Leave Casper and drive to Southington, CT. to bail a job out gone down hill. Work there maybe 3 days and get a call to head down to Halendale, FL. I was there, on the jobsite, no more than 5 hours I get a call to head to Palmdale, CA.(Outside LA). I stayed there I think 2 days and headed up to Naniamo, BC. Canada. I stayed there a week and got the call to head to Rocky Mount, NC. Thats typical of how they drive me crazy at work. I could fly but I never know what tools I'll need and after 9/11 its a bi*tch to fly with a screw gun and chisels.

Some of my better trucks
    88 Chevy Silverado 4x4 gas 435,000
    96 Dodge Dually Diesel 418,000
    98 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 378,000
    01 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 567,000
    03 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 290,000
    05 Dodge 1500 4x4 Hemi 145,000 Current driver, I've slowed down some.

I drive em' in the ground but the company bascically pays for MY trucks. The worst things I've experienced in repairs have been a few trannys here and there,a head gasket or two and a couple of driver's seats. The thing I like most about all this driving? I get the chance to see more of this country than most of you will on TV. And let me tell you...there is some beautiful country out there folks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    That was meant as a joke, like:

Wow you've been driving for the last 13 years?!?!? (i.e as in straight, without stopping)

Good lord man, pull over and get a coke!!

Then I apologize but your wit came across as condescending sarcasm which was why I reacted the way I did.

• wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Then I apologize but your wit came across as condescending sarcasm which was why I reacted the way I did.

Yeah, after reading my reply again just now I realized it could easily have sounded more along the lines of "so, what do you want a cookie?"

I suppose when one posts something and is thinking one thing, it sometimes blinds oneself to other interpretations of that text. So I must apologize as well, I should have written the reply better.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    I dont doubt this and I would be willing to bet that the engine was a 350 which are arguably the best engines ever made. Practically indestructible.

I drive a Chevy 1 ton van at work which is loaded down with kegs well past its weight limit, drives up and down a mountain 3 times a week, in stop and go downtown traffic and on the freeway at 75 mph. This thing has 140,000 miles on it and runs like a top. Now its having plenty of electrical problems and the body is a little warped from being overloaded so much so the doors dont close properly, but the drivetrain runs like new.

As for those Dodge Cummins diesels, I dont doubt theyd easily run 100,000,000 miles. Those aint built for the Dodge Ram like the Powerstroke is built for the Super Duty or the Duramaxx is build for the Chevy- Cummins builds those for medium duty trucks and then tunes them down a bit and crams them into the Ram. Their design life to overhaul is over 300,000 miles I believe.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    I will have 1,000,000 miles on my Scion xB soon. Really, 2089 isn't that far away... :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    As for those Dodge Cummins diesels, I dont doubt theyd easily run 100,000,000 miles. Those aint built for the Dodge Ram like the Powerstroke is built for the Super Duty or the Duramaxx is build for the Chevy- Cummins builds those for medium duty trucks and then tunes them down a bit and crams them into the Ram. Their design life to overhaul is over 300,000 miles I believe.

Amen to that. We have a 1989 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo diesel and that engine is amazing. It's coupled to a 3 speed transmission, so its top speed is about 85 mph with no load. Towing 6000 lbs its top speed is... 80 mph :D. But I bet that engine and drivetrain could go through 2 more truck bodies before it gave out. The other fun thing is it's the fastest of all our cars from 0-60 mph... yeah, kinda sad.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3