We are all being ripped off

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,994
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Watching Prison Break right now and holy crap, every 5-7 mins there are commercials. It's no wonder they can prolong this show with only about 35 mins of actual show.....This show is by far the worst for this. :mad:
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    ever seen lost?
  • Willow
    edited February 2008
    I don't think it's as bad.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2008
    Just like drive time radio. Ad, ad, station id, ad song, ad, yak, yak, yak,
    ad,ad,ad, song.

Check out how much editing has to be done on old programs to allow all the
    required commercial time.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited February 2008
    A 30 minute TV sit com, minus the commercials, credits, etc, is an average of about 17/18 minutes long of actual show.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    One reason why I haven't watched TV for nearly 2 years now. Nothing good on and commercials.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Closer to 21 minutes actually. Hour-long shows are 43-44 minutes.

Get with the times, get a DVR, and you never see any of them. The worst thing you have to do is press a button once in a while.

As for getting "ripped off', how much exactly did you pay for that show outside from the advertising? Oh, zero? It cost you zero dollars? How are they ripping you off exactly?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Willow
    edited February 2008
    it's one benefit of downloading TV shows, no commercials and 1hr shows are between 35-42 mins.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited February 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ad,ad,ad, song.

Two words. XM. I just got it for this reason...I take my daughter to school in the morning. 20 minutes round trip - I wouldn't hear more than 1 or 2 songs. Now, I hear about 5. Good thing we like the same music.

Back to the thread. The best thing to happen to TV is TIVO/DVRs. I can't stand all the frickin commercials. It's like the unsolicitated sales people that call me all day - if I have a need I will seek you out!
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2008
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    Two words. XM. I just got it for this reason...I take my daughter to school in the morning. 20 minutes round trip - I wouldn't hear more than 1 or 2 songs. Now, I hear about 5. Good thing we like the same music.

Back to the thread. The best thing to happen to TV is TIVO/DVRs. I can't stand all the frickin commercials. It's like the unsolicitated sales people that call me all day - if I have a need I will seek you out!

I've got XM. I used to drive 45 minutes and hear one or two songs.
    And they store seems to have forgotten to turn off their subscription
    on the display unit I bought.:D

And I don't watch much other than history channel.
    And yes, it does cost me money. Just about all the on air channels
    are in Spanish here that I can receive . And cable is hardly free.
    I'd like to dump it, but the Mrs. won't give it up.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    One reason why I haven't watched TV for nearly 2 years now. Nothing good on and commercials.

I don't watch it either. Been that way for years. I pay $100 + per month ... HD, DVR, etc..and only watch a few sporting events...go figure.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, paying $55+/ month for 200 ch.- 180 of which I don't watch, does seem kind of goofy. That's why I went w/out cable for 20 years. to pay $40+/ month for 6 ch.?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »

BINGO would much rather sit and listen to tunes then watch the garbage on the tube.........
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    I find I'm more productive if I'm not sitting in front of the tube with my brains dribbling out my ears... I like my brains, I'll keep them thanks.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited February 2008
    It's not so sad if you're watching it over the air. If you're paying for cable or other access for the privilege of watching commercials... well, that's sad.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    DVR, problem solved. Only problem is I don't see commercials for new movies any more so I have no clue what's in the theaters!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Whats TV? Seriously I don't watch it anymore. If it is on at someones house I will watch discovery, myth busters, and very few others.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    ReplayTV ... Tivo ... BeyondTV ... etc

Takes care of the problems!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    The bugs they are using now are whats really pissing me off....they almost never turn them off anymore....they are getting huge....sometimes even interactive with the show or advertising other shows while you are watching ....getting really bad.

That is much worse then commercials for me....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ad,ad,ad, song.

When I used to work in PA, this was really bad. Now that I'm back in Baltimore, I always listen to 98 rock. They really don't have that many commercials (surprisingly) and many of them in the morning are "spoof" commercials making fun of other commercials. It's actually quite entertaining.

When I worked in PA I listened to 94.1. I'd say 35% of every show was commercials. It just seemed so bad.
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    As for getting "ripped off', how much exactly did you pay for that show outside from the advertising? Oh, zero? It cost you zero dollars? How are they ripping you off exactly?

I don't know anyone who gets the free, OTA broadcasts anymore so we all pay for cable, dish or fiber. The entertainment industry is one of the only industries where you can pay for a service that is interlaced with advertisements and no one seems to really care.

Did you know there was a time where Cable was ad free?
    obieone wrote: »
    Yeah, paying $55+/ month for 200 ch.- 180 of which I don't watch, does seem kind of goofy. That's why I went w/out cable for 20 years. to pay $40+/ month for 6 ch.?

There was an article recently about why you can't piece-meal your channels. I'll have to see if I can find it but basically, in order for a carrier to air MTV, they have to include about 9 other channels or they don't get MTV.
  • Willow
    edited February 2008
    The bugs they are using now are whats really pissing me off....they almost never turn them off anymore....they are getting huge....sometimes even interactive with the show or advertising other shows while you are watching ....getting really bad.

That is much worse then commercials for me....

Sorry BUGS? not sure what you are talking about?
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Huge moving advertisements for other shows at the bottom of the screen. Yeah, they suck hard. I love it when they cover something really important, like a subtitle for what you are watching. Brilliant!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    I don't know anyone who gets the free, OTA broadcasts anymore so we all pay for cable, dish or fiber. The entertainment industry is one of the only industries where you can pay for a service that is interlaced with advertisements and no one seems to really care.

Basic cable you're paying for distribution, not content.

You could make an argument for other cable packages and channels being ad-free, but since this thread was started by someone complaining about a Fox show (House), which is available OTA for free, you're paying nothing for the show, and it is strictly funded by advertisements. I dont' know how the networks are compensated by cable companies; most cable channels the cable company pays the cable network a per subscriber fee but I don't know that this applies to the broadcast networks.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited February 2008
    I don't know anyone who gets the free, OTA broadcasts anymore so we all pay for cable, dish or fiber.
    You don't know anyone, but there are some (maybe only a few of us) who pocket (or invest) that $ every month instead of paying a third party to watch television. That was the whole idea of "broadcasting", although it has fallen out of favor in the 21st Century for a kind of highly-multiplexed, highly-profitable, narrowcasting.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    I thought more and more people were watching OTA with more stations going HD. The HD signal transmission is much better and easier to get for most people.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008

When was that? My family had cable since 1968, it has never been commercial free in that time period.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I thought more and more people were watching OTA with more stations going HD. The HD signal transmission is much better and easier to get for most people.

I refuse to give Comcast my money. I picked up an OTA antenna when I bought my HDTV for Christmas and use it for the free HD broadcasting. Other than movies, the free stuff over the antenna is all I watch.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    wodom1 wrote: »
    I refuse to give Comcast my money. I picked up an OTA antenna when I bought my HDTV for Christmas and use it for the free HD broadcasting. Other than movies, the free stuff over the antenna is all I watch.

You get FREE OTA braodcasts w/ an antenna? I live about 20+ miles from a major city and barely got regular programming with my rabbit ears.:confused:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    You get FREE OTA braodcasts w/ an antenna? I live about 20+ miles from a major city and barely got regular programming with my rabbit ears.:confused:

OTA HD kicks **** all over that compressed signal both major sat companies are pawning off as HD . I live about 50 minutes in either direction to a major city , and I get awesome reception with a roof mounted Quad array...cheap too...100 bucks give or take.

I still have directv HD, but if a channel is on both directv and OTA...I will watch the OTA hands down every time.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2008

Yep. I'm less than two miles from the Hancock Building and the Sears Tower (Chicago), so an indoor antenna works great for me. Those two buildings have the antennas broadcasting most of the local stations. I get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and WGN for no cost. You should look into an outdoor antenna you can mount on your roof or in your attic (if applicable) and that should get you free OTA.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2008

There was an article recently about why you can't piece-meal your channels. I'll have to see if I can find it but basically, in order for a carrier to air MTV, they have to include about 9 other channels or they don't get MTV.

Yes, I remember ad free. And I still had a full head of hair.

If they ever allow al a carte, we will see big changes. So many of these services depend on charges for all cable users. 10 million cable subscribers
    mean big bucks. IF 90% opt not to have it, whole ranges of channels would go belly up. The charge per channel would go up. So in the end, You'd have only the channels you want, but it might not save you any money.
    That's the risk. Of course, maybe a few would step up and improve their programs.

I guess I won't be holding my breath.