A question about Americans Perception of Australia

Loco57
Loco57 Posts: 38
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I am curious and as their seems to be a fair cross section of people on this forum all be it with at least one common interest, how do Americans see Australians ?

We have a simular culture, Politically identify along simular lines but I am curious from a personal point of view as to how we are percieved.

I welcome your comment good , bad or otherwise!
Post edited by Loco57 on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2008
    Your country has the Holden Monaro... you're good in my books!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2008
    I would imagine from a national point of view that Aussies are considered a close ally and would be treated as such. From a personal standpoint I'd feel the same way but I really don't know any Aussies. I do thank you for Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    You mean it's not like those Mad Max movies? :D

As a matter of fact, I have a Australian dependent that lives with me.
    http://b2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01301/29/01/1301651092_l.jpg

I'd love to visit your country one day and see them in the wild.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited February 2008
    Next to the Great USA, Australia would my next choice when taking into consideration
    the people of your country. I just dont get that gun confiscation thing that occurred
    some years back. This is just a quick of the wall statement and not very in depth, but I think
    most Americans have very high regard for Aussie's and their country. Like the accent too.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    Peter Costello a good man. I wish he was an American politician

"What I've said is that this is a country, which is founded on a democracy. According to our Constitution, we have a secular state. Our laws are made by the Australian Parliament. If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you."

You guys are doing it right.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited February 2008
    Great people Great Nation

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited February 2008
    Since you asked, please tell us how Australian's see American's. Thanks.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    I've spent some time with some of my companies business units in Australia. Except for that gun confiscation thing, which once you get outside of the main metro areas seems to be pretty much ignored by civilians and law enforcement alike, I like your country and have enjoyed the time spent there! I spent a fun day shooting rabbits by the hundreds one time I was there. It was like the farmers were having a plague of rogue rabbits over-running their crops! You've got some great beer and great people, especially once you get outside the cities. As you've seemed to shake off most of the stuffy British culture, it's a nice place to visit.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    The country that supplies Fosters Lager can't be all bad!!!
  • The Judge
    The Judge Posts: 60
    edited February 2008
    I think you Aussies are All Right! I mean, you haven't started any World Wars like some other folks, who shall remain nameless. Rugged men and Pretty women works for me. I do agree however about how governments are going PC, it sucks in Every country. I have always thought of you guys as independents, not PC clowns like all our leaders would like us to be.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie

G'day
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    I loved Australia, when I was there in 1994(Perth/Freemantle). Seriously considered moving there after I got out of the service, then found out what the unemployment rate was, and scratched that idea. I loved the people that I met. Friendly, and very patriotic to their yankee allies.(At least the ones I drank with:D) I'm glad you guys are on our side.
    Although, depending on what happens with this next election, I may reconsider my previous decision NOT to move there.:eek:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited February 2008
    Great country, great people. I'd love to visit someday. You guys always seem to be having fun.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    Beautiful country, great accent, would love to visit someday.

However, after Zero's mention of all the dangerous critters you all have, I might have to rethink it!:eek::eek::eek:

Welcome to Club Polk Loco!:)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited February 2008
    I know a few people from your great country. First rate all the way.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    I've been to your country a few times, for a little more than a months total duration. I've visited Melbourne, Brisbane, and Darwin. My impressions? Oz is the most incredibly fantastic place on the planet, and it is loaded, ABSOLUTELY FULL TO THE GILLS, with stunningly hot babes. A must see. As far as the average Aussie, you guys are a scream. Work hard, play hard. Although my good buddy Graeme lives in Melbourne (Victoria), Darwin fascinated me the most. Wild place where if you get off the beaten path JUST A LITTLE, and walk around with your head up your ****, you're probably going to die. Everything there will kill you.

Have a "Green" one on me man.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    You're too far away to really think that much about...and you talk funny.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • _Noah_
    _Noah_ Posts: 15
    edited February 2008
    You've got Boooomeraangs.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    It's the one place I could see living besides USA. Also, you make some damn good movies.

the whole Mabo thing seems kinda sad but hey, we repress our Natives too.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Loco57
    edited February 2008
    Whoooo seems that hit a cord with most of you guys and yes their is no doubt most Australians believe it's the greatest country on earth.

Nad, sorry but the Monaro is dead :mad:but we have a company called HSV that takes what Holden ( GM ) build and takes it to the next level have a look at their site!

I bet Keith Urban is pretty happy with her also!

Face, MadMAx is now in your part of the world accent and all ( that is when he's not pissed ) no really Mel's alright.

Neskahi, what started the gun thing over here was a massacre in Tasmania by a lunartic and the change to laws covered automatic weapons of various sorts. I subscribe to the theory that if you couldn't drop it with the first shot what makes you think the following 500 will do the job!

Soild, I couldn't agree with you more on the Costello front, a man with the balls to speak his mind and with the brains to back it up! Such a pity the rest of Australia couldn't see that as well we might still have him.

DKG99, man I go rabbit shooting every night ( almost ) shoot em off the balcony by the flood lights great fun! Just another Pommy legacy.

Zero, it's commonly called speaking your mind no use making people guess what you think and getting the wrong idea, sometimes seen as being cocky or arrogant but most Australians just speak the truth plain and simple.

rskarvan, not 100% sure but I think we sold Fosters to the Pomms a while back but we did invent it!

Judge, PC is the biggest load of $%^&* ever invented got me in more trouble than you can think of at times, the world would be a far better place without it.

Obieone, the jury is still out on the new guy ( Rudd ) I personally hope he can manage what he promises without the Unions pulling the strings!

On behalf of Australia I invite you all over for a holiday you won't regret it I promise just let me know when you are coming so I can lock up my Daughters!

With regards to the nasties, we Aussies are born with a built in immunity well at least the ones worth saving:D.

Neskahi, we have a term " Only in America" I would have to say that maybe the information we get about America / Americans doesn't always put you guys in the best light ( being totally honest ).

You sometimes think their must be something in the water, it seems every religious nut bag born comes from the US and this is what is portrayed by the media and the general perception is it starts at the White House and works its way down to certain sections of the population.

Personally the people from the US I have met and come to know are great people you'd take em home to meet your Mum, it takes a certain courage from a country to take on all the thankless tasks around the troubled world we live in.

I am personally disgusted with people from all countries that decry their armed forces and protest their involvment in overseas conflicts treating them like scum it sickens me more than I can describe. These same people are usually the first to cry for help from the armed forces they despise in the event of a disaster.

I hope the comradeship between Australia and the US never waivers in the future as it has stood the test of many wars and conflicts that has shown we can count on each other always!

I had an email sent to me last week that highlighted the day to day life of what we see as priorities compared to a soldier in Iraq / Afganistan ect and it made me extremely sad and put things in perspective.

If I have offended anyone with any of my comments I appologise in advance.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Well, Australia did give us Kylie so it's not all that bad. ;)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    Loco, it's great to talk to you. Australia is one of the places on this planet I will see before I die. The Coral reefs, the outback, the culture. It is one of the places on this planet that I would actually consider moving to permanently.

My perception of Australia is one of a raw world. Something that on our side of the world you will never see. Here, everything has been touched, screwed up, replaced with concrete and steel, pollution, people.......you name it.

If I died in Australia, I would die a happy man.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Hi Loco,I can tell you that Canadians love Australia.I know of a few people who have been there and enjoyed the country and the people.My wifes freinds son recently took the long 24 hour flight to Aus.He went diving in the Coral reef and camped in the outback:eek:.He was blown away by his expierence.I would love to also take a trip there sometime and see the natural wonders and maybe even catch an Taipan or Fierce snake.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2008
    Australia has the Ford FPV, therefore Australia kicks ****.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    As long as you buy Polk speakers, we think you're great! Otherwise, we hate you!

:D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    Welcome. I work with a lot of people from Australia, seeing that BHP Billiton is operating a diamond mine here in the Canadian North. Great bunch of people. I think the best country in world is up for debate, but then again, I am biased as we all should be.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Peter Costello a good man. I wish he was an American politician

"What I've said is that this is a country, which is founded on a democracy. According to our Constitution, we have a secular state. Our laws are made by the Australian Parliament. If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you."

You guys are doing it right.

AMEN BROTHER! I wish we would / could say the same thing here!

I do not know any Aussies or New Zelanders well, but I hold both countries in high regard, and Australia's position on Muslims who refuse to integrate just makes me respect the country more.

EDIT

And I too would like to see both Australia and New Zealand at some point in my life.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2008
    One of my pharmacy professors lived in pretty every corner of the world at one point in his life. He said Sydney was his favorite place and had by far the best food in the world.
  • Loco57
    edited February 2008
    Kylie well she is definately on my list of things to do:D
    If you plan on seeing the Coral reef's I'd make it sooner rather than later Global warming is bleeching the coral and killing it unfortunately it really is another world in the top end.
    Just before christmas I went on a 10 day fishing trip about 3 hours by plane north of Darwin remote was not the word couldn't go swimming because of the crocs, Box jellyfish and sharks and don't get me started on the sea snakes friendly little buggers.

Canada is definately on my places to visit list, have come to know quite a few people from that beautiful part of the planet seem to have a lot in common with Australians ( except were not frozen 7 months of the year ).

While I'm GM man personally I must admit Ford FPV knock out some mean machines how about a 4 litre straight 6 Turbo that puts out 850kw at the rear wheels won the Dyno shootout!

Wizzy, I rarely make the same mistake twice. (Just kidding)

If BHP manage the takeover of Riotinto it will make them bigger than Ben Hur, I have a relative that is very high up in their Oil division Esso their size is mind bending.
  • Loco57
    edited February 2008
    Shizelbs,
    obviously he never quite made it to Melbourne if food is his bent then that is definately the place to go, while Sydney is a great place Victoria as a state has far more to offer it covers the whole range and is known as the sporting capitol of Australia to boot.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    I can see that takeover taking place.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°