Monster M850i or Monster Reference 2 Series Interconnects?

Options
yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
For the same money which would you recommend and why?
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yoeddy,
    Post your complete system.I can help you deside on the correct cable for the level of system you own.
    I never did a shootout with these reference series 2 cables vs the M series.From what I understand in Monster terms is that the reference series comes from the bottom of the line series,being top of that line,M series is middle line and M850i's being 3rd down from top of the line.Sigma retro is top of the line Monster.

M850i's are a nice sounding cable.Srtong bass,clear highs and punchy midrange.They aren't as smooth as a M950i or M1000i.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hey guys,

Ok here goes:

Parasound AVC2500u Pre/Pro, Parasound 2205AT (220 x5), Sony 9000ES DVD player, Mitsubishi SVHS ( 1 month old...can't remember model), Monster 2500 Power Center, Mitsubishi 65" HDTV, Polk RT16 mains, RT12 surrounds (with upgraded tweeter like the 16's), CS350LS, Klipsch SW12II Subwoofer.

All of this is wired with Monster XP speaker wire...14g I think, Monster Interlink Optical 100, Coaxial 100, amp to preamp is wired with supposed THX certified Monster interlink??? (the cables are color coded and the 5 cables are bundled together. The component is Video 2 series. Sub is wired with an old Monster bass series with Y adapter. All of the interconnect is about 3 years old. I want to overhaul all of the interconnects, toslink and coax if it is worth it, and do the speaker cable later. Opinions are greatly appreciated.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm......MIT, the good stuff :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    F1nut...do you have experience with both MIT and Monster? I have been looking at MIT's website, but have no dealer here. You running Terminators or what? Give me details...
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    here's the plan,
    M950i's for interconnects
    M1.4s bi wires for mains.....
    M1.2s for center(the center isn't bi wireable right??I don't remember)
    M1.4s biwire bulk wire for rears.....or
    M1.2s bulk or
    MCX Bi wire bulk.........you pick it with your budget.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Options
    yoeddy,

I use to have Monster something or other. I now have MIT MI-330 II interconnects for cd and T2 for speakers. The MI's have been replaced with the Terminator series. If and when I ever get my mono blocks, I'll go with the Shotgun series. With the MIT's I get tighter bass, smoother highs and better detail/imaging than with the Monster's, but the MIT's are a higher grade than the Monster's I use to have. I was impressed with the good reviews and recommendations I got concerning the MIT's vs Monster when I was shopping for new cables. None of the high-end shops around here sell Monster anymore, which I took to mean there was better stuff than that. I'm sure that anything better than XP will be an improvement for you. It seems that the guy that runs MIT use to work for Monster, but thought he had a better idea, I agree.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    So would $139 shipped for Monster 1000i 1 meter pair interconnects be a good deal, or should I go with something else. Retail is $200 I think. These are new btw.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Your system I'd go with M950i's,but yes thats a fantastic price for those cables,you will have to step up to M2.2s or M2.4s bi wires to match....
    Dan
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Well, so far I just bought a 4 Meter M1000CV component video cable for $125 new, and an M1000D coax cable for $30 new. Can't wait!

The M1000i 1 Meter interconnects can be had for about $110 right now but I gotta wait. Price wise this all looks pretty good. Would any of you bother changing the Sub interconnect from what I have as stated in the earlier post? I can get a MSB1000 12ft for 75.00 new.
    :lol:
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I had three pair pf the MC reference 2 connect between my Pioneer Elite DVD-38A and the receiver and my DVD-A performance can't get any better than that. By just holding them in your hand, you can feel the quality of these cables. Ordered straight from MC through the accomodation program, I paid $75 for all 3 pairs.:)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Options
    guys,
    I am amazed on how y'all always get a deal on these interconnect. I spent five ben's and still feel that I don't get the "reference" series, and still not done. I tend to stay in the m500 to m1000 series. I thought it would be a good compromise. Next, I like to upgrade the speaker cable. I use monster 4R bi-wire custom. NDTA, what is the accomodation program from MC? just curious....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I went the route of the ebay thing and Audiogon! :D
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Options
    my younger brother works part time at BB, and so I can buy anything from MC at 70% of retail, one of the employee benefits, almost the same on Yamaha, JBL...etc For speakerwire, you may want to take a look at MC F1, I used the combination of M series, F1 and F3.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Options
    NDTA,
    Aren't you a distance cousin from my mother side ? :D:D:lol:
    so practically we are related!

thanks for the info....I saw your gears for sale, nice stuff!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Options
    That is a killer deal for M1000's. I need six pairs of M1000's and I have to pay like 900 dollars or something so the deal you are getting is awesome.

I have the Monster M2.2's for L,C,R and I have to use at least M1000's for interconnects and I think you would be very happy with them because the level of performance you get out of them for the money is killer.

Granted there is better interconnects out there like MIT, Transparent , Nordost, Kimber, and so on but it is so much more expensive and the quality is slightly better depending on what needs improvment ie.....Bass response, Highs, Imaging, blah blah

Check it out. You will nothing but benefit from Monster.

Very good company IMO.
  • Apex
    Apex Posts: 69
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hey Mantis,

I'm currently debating on which interconnects i should buy.Could you help me out here too?.

I'm really interested in monster,but i don't want to buy something i won't need.Or if you know of another brand that might be better for the money and if you could get me their website address.

I have H/K AVR7000
    Panasonic DVD don't know the model #
    Sony trinitron 40"
    RT1000i
    Mirage center
    FX300i surrounds
    PSW650

Also need some advice on video/audio cables too.

Thanks
    Justin
    H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

• F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Justin,

Yeah, I know I'm not mantis, he might be in a closet right now, but you should check this out. www.mitcables.com. Real good stuff.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• Apex
    Apex Posts: 69
    edited December 2002
    Options

Hey Jesse,

Could you help me out with as far as what i should look into getting?.What series should i look into?.

My towers are 2.0m
    center 1.5m
    surrounds are no big deal i have that handled,and my sub too.

But also need help on which Digital and audio cables i'll need.
    To connect my dvd,receiver,monitor.

Justin:D
    H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

• yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Just received my Monster M1000cv Component Video Cable in the mail today to replace my Monster Video 2 Series Component Cable. Retail was $250 and I got it for just a hair over $100. Quite the difference in color vibrance and sharpness. My Sony 9000ES likey!

My Monster M1000d Digital Coax comes tomorrow to replace my 100 Series Coax. We'll see if there's a difference.

Then on to the M1000i's for the amp to the pre/pro. :)
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    While I'm at it I guess I'll replace the sub interconnect with the M1000 series as well. Not sure if it will make much difference, but hey it's the M1000 series right?

Cable DOES make a difference right, or am I just telling myself that after all the money is spent, that it damn well better?!
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Justin,

I think the Terminator series would be good for you, both speaker cable and interconnects. The T2 are the best of that series, but I think you'd be happy with the T3 or T4. The biggest improvement I noticed was upgrading my cd interconnects, more than the speaker cables, but they helped too.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Apex,
    Here's how I see it.

Monstercable....
    Speakerwire......................MCX Bi wires,Bulk MCX ,rears.
    Interconnects....................M550i
    Video.................................M500V

Now this should be a nice wire package for your system.It's not Maxed out but it won't murder you dead to buy.Let me know how you make out.
    Mit makes great wire.I don't have enough experience with there **** to give you a system wiring.Transparent I do but thats expensive..........but worth it.Monster in My opnion is the best all around wiring for the money.You can't go wrong.

F1nut,
    Yeah, I know I'm not mantis
    I so agree with you dude.;)
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Dan,

Believe me, I thank the powers that be for that everyday! ;)

Apex, just get the MIT's, you'll thank me.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    oh but M1000's can be had for the same as M500's if one scours the internet hard enough :)
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    yoeddy,
    If you go the route of M1000 series,your gonna have to look into M1.2 or M2.4 speaker wire to match in performance.M1.2s at 10 feet are 500.00 speaker wires.The center channel wire in M1.2s is 250.00 alone.
    M2.4s bi wires are 850.00.Now if your willing to spend serious cash of them,then go for it.At those prices,your now in the league with Transparent.I'd perfer Transparent over Monster when price start to become a factor.
    I feel this way,monster rules the budget market for wire.But when you climb into the high end wire world,there are alot of better wire companies on the market.
    Dan
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Well, my M1000 MonsterBass Interconnect is on it's way! $60 new didn't seem too bad considering retail is $150. On to the M1000i's next for the amp to the pre-pro. :D
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Well my Monster M1000 Sub Interconnect made it! To those that are in doubt of a sub interconnect making a difference...THINK AGAIN! I was in this boat, but the bass has tightened up considerably. I used to have an old 200 series Monster Interconnect on my Klipsch SW12 Series II and the two cables make it sound alot different. I am going for the amp to preamp interconnects now to replace the 100 Series Monster! M1000 baby...it will turn your world round!! (as will other brands, I know):lol:
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    BTW...IT IS SEXY AS HELL!!!:D