Rotel vs Pioneer

Tomasito
Tomasito Posts: 142
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I am not sure, if this is the right forum to put out this question.
If this needs to be posted in a different forum. let me know which one.
Can anybody advise me if I should get the rotel 1098 or the Pioneer VSX-94TXH?

I heard that Rotel is sonically better than Pioneer?

Thanks
Post edited by Tomasito on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2008
    I think most will agree that Rotel will sound better than Pioneer, but it's up to your ears to decide.

One important thing: The Rotel is a pre-amp, the Pioneer is a receiver. If you buy the Rotel pre-amp/processor, you'll still need a seperate amplifier as the pre-amp does not have built in power like the Pioneer does.
  • Tomasito
    edited February 2008
    I am looking into the rotel 1098 with 1075 power amp and the pioneer VSX94TXH.
    I'm wondering if there is a big difference in sound qulaity of the Rotel from the Elite.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited February 2008
    yes
    do it and don't look back.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Not everybody believes there is a "sound quality" difference between receivers. They should reproduce the source totally transparent and you dont want any coloration. I would advise to go listen to both Rotel and Pioneer and see if you hear a difference yourself.

If you do, great, buy the one you think sounds best.

If not, great, buy the one you like best due to features, budget and appearance. Build quality wise I would think theyre pretty close to being equal.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    All I can say is I went from 2ch separates to a 7.1ch Pioneer Elite and I'm not really pleased. I needed the 7.1 capability, but I can tell the difference, and I wish sometimes I could afford to go separates in my HT and get rid of the receiver.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    and I wish sometimes I could afford to go separates in my HT and get rid of the receiver.

Definitely agree with that. Now that Im in a house and can crank my HT up, boy oh boy is receiver power limited.

Separate amp or amps is the ONLY way to go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    I would take the Rotel any day of the week over any receiver. And if you could step up to the RMB 1095 Rotel amp instead that would be terrific!

What does the rest of your system consist of?

Welcome to Club Polk Tomasito!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tomasito
    edited February 2008
    I currently have a pioneer VSX1016 with with an all polk audio speaker system -LSi9 and RTiA3, PSW110. The Player is an oppo 981 and a Toshiba HDDVD. I am looking into upgrading. I just learned that the Rotel 1098 does not have HDMI. If it has, then I will be leaning towards the Rotel. The pioneer elite 94 has this option.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited February 2008
    Tomasito wrote: »
    I currently have a pioneer VSX1016 with with an all polk audio speaker system -LSi9 and RTiA3, PSW110. The Player is an oppo 981 and a Toshiba HDDVD. I am looking into upgrading. I just learned that the Rotel 1098 does not have HDMI. If it has, then I will be leaning towards the Rotel. The pioneer elite 94 has this option.

Again The Rotel 1098 is just a HDMI switcher( I posted all about this on your other Vs thead). There is no audio or video processing. It just switches. It's an upgrade from S video. The Pioneer Elite has all todays nessary Processing over HDMI 1.3a. I feel only 2 channel audio is suffered between the 2. And if you get a RMB 1095 (which I own as well) you will be able to power your LSI's very well, extremely well.

Your call on these 2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.