Buzzing in my PSW150 sub

ronmetrx
ronmetrx Posts: 7
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I was doing a tone test last night and when I got to my Polk PSW150 there was alot of buzzing coming from the sub.

Do I need a new driver? If so, can I install it myself or should I have it done professionally? Or maybe I should just buy a new sub?

The PSW 150 was bought in July of 1998 and I live in Fremont, CA. 94555

Here is a set of pictures from 1998 of my system. The PSW150 was at the time behind the TV and not in view.

http://members.tripod.com/cblountt/ronht.html

Thank you!

Ron
Post edited by ronmetrx on

Comments

• ronmetrx
    edited November 2002
    Customer service just contacted me via e-mail and said that I have a 5 year warranty and if the driver is blown to just send it to their service center along with a copy of the proof of purchase and Polk will send out a new driver at no charge. My question to anyone who would know..how hard is it to take out a driver and then install a new one? Is it something I can do with my tool set?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    You can certainly do it. The 150 had a bottom-firing driver, right? Flip that pup upside down, and get on with it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Actually, the PSW-150 has a front firing dirver, the bottom is the power port, all you need is a srewdriver, first remove the front grill then remove the driver, box it up and ship. That's it.
  • ronmetrx
    edited November 2002
    Thank you both for the replies!
  • ronmetrx
    edited December 2002
    A question for either Lauren Schmidt or Ken Swauger:

I shipped my PSW 150 driver via UPS ground to the Polk Service Center in San Diego on December 2nd, tracking # 1Z9663020346430547 along with a letter explaining who I talked to, what the problem was (defective driver), my address, phone number etc and included a copy of the proof of purchase.

Can either of you tell me what the turn around time might be for something like this?

Thank you,

Ron Simpson
    simpsonrj@attbi.com
  • ronmetrx
    edited December 2002
    I e-mailed Lauren and Ken at the Customer Service e-mail addy, polkcs@polkaudio.com

I am curious as to how many more weeks I might have to wait.

Thanks
  • ronmetrx
    edited January 2003
    Well what a long strange trip it's been!

On December 31st I e-mailed Ken Swauger and he replied that my replacement driver had been sent out on 12/17. The tracking number he provided showed that the package went Fedex to Sacramento, Ca. then to Oakland (I live in Fremont, CA) and then back to the Polk Service Center in San Diego. At that point I e-mailed Ken and he said I should call Customer Service, which I preceded to do. I talked with Omar in Customer Service who said that the shipment had the wrong zip code. So we went over the address and he said it would now ship correctly. WRONG! This time my package had the correct zip code of 94555 but had the wrong city of Hayward, instead of Fremont. Fedex to the rescue, as they identified the street and the zip code combination (at least that's what the driver told me) and Fedex realized the shipment should go to Fremont. So my package arrived today and I just installed the replacement driver and it works fine!

I love the sound of my Polks and definitely will be a repeat buyer, it's just that Polks shipping dept/cust service dept could stand a little work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited January 2003
    Must be a CA. thing, I've had no problems. ;)

Glad they got you hooked up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk