Help! How to Buy a NAD From a Pawn Shop?!

Kex
Kex Posts: 5,150
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hi everyone! Some of you will have followed my saga with an Emotiva Ultra Theater Combo recently. Well, I decided to go and look at the NAD T763 again since the Emotiva combo did not work out for me. I talked to the seller for the first time today ... and ... it's a pawn shop!

He says the unit is "like new, in the original box", and he's accepting $500 cash. I have NEVER bought from a pawn shop before. Is this scary or not? What should I ask for? How should I test the unit (I presume the pawn shop has no idea what to do with this to test it properly). Should I offer even less?

Help me out guys 'n' gals! Many of you have much more experience with this sort of situation than I have. I get the impression I have the opportunity to get a great deal ... or ... a total dud!
Alea jacta est!
Post edited by Kex on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    See this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61305

All I can say is buyer beware. Be very careful.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    See this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61305

All I can say is buyer beware. Be very careful.
    I read some of that, but this will not be an online sale. The store is local, and within reasonable driving distance.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    I read some of that, but this will not be an online sale. The store is local, and within reasonable driving distance.

Ah, I see...

I'd still be very careful though!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    I'm sure it is an "as is" sale. See if they will let you hook it up to some speakers (I'm sure there are some speakers in a pawn shop) to make sure all channels are working before you walk out the door.

Of course it's buyer beware. A refurbished T763 from a reputable seller is $899:

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/T763.asp

You know the old saying...if it sounds too good to be true....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    ... Of course it's buyer beware. A refurbished T763 from a reputable seller is $899: ...
    I know there's always some risk involved. This unit was initially advertised two months ago on craigslist.com for $700. I just offered him $500 because that is all I was prepared to pay for it at the time, and he accepted. Now, it's still there. Who buys $500 equipment from a pawn shop anyway, I wonder?

What if I take a couple of Mini Monitors and a DVD player with me to hook up? I hook up each channel two at a time and try them all out or what?

These units do seem to have a patchy reliability reputation, so I am worried, but this could be a good deal also just because nobody else has even heard of NAD unless they are on Club Polk, AVS, or some other specialized forum. At least, if he has the original packing, I can ship it to NAD for service safely if need be.
    Alea jacta est!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Don't forget to check for a serial #!:rolleyes:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2008
    Many pawn shops will offer a 30-day (maybe less) if they are unable to test the product in store...others may be as-is only. Test it with their other gear and ask about return policy.

Should you offer less...all they can say is no, but then you could still get it for the original price. I think chain pawn shops are less likely to negotiate. It depends on how long it has been there and what they gave the previous owner for it (probably less than half what they are asking).

Good luck, but as everyone else has stated...buyer beware.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2008
    If he still has it, it is because no one wanted to pay his price for it. I would walk in $400 cash in hand and offer to trade it for the NAD. If he says no, walk away and come back another day....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    I think I'm going to check it out tomorrow. If the condition looks as good as he stated, and it tests OK, then maybe I'll have a new receiver to bring home.

All I can think of as a test is to play a CD or something and see if sound seems to be coming out of all channels. I'll try and check for damaged connections on the back panel or broken knobs on the front panel. I've got a manual download, so I'll try and read some of that also.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    McLoki wrote: »
    If he still has it, it is because no one wanted to pay his price for it. I would walk in $400 cash in hand and offer to trade it for the NAD. If he says no, walk away and come back another day....

Michael
    That's what I was thinking, Michael, and it sounds like good advice. My Grandfather used to always say that the best time to buy a horse was when you didn't need one. I'll just have to convince myself that I don't need a new receiver!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    I think I'm going to check it out tomorrow. If the condition looks as good as he stated, and it tests OK, then maybe I'll have a new receiver to bring home.

All I can think of as a test is to play a CD or something and see if sound seems to be coming out of all channels. I'll try and check for damaged connections on the back panel or broken knobs on the front panel. I've got a manual download, so I'll try and read some of that also.

Let me say this again. Be very careful.

The unit may test fine and output sound to all channels, but who knows if it has been abused or not...or worse, who knows if it has an intermittent problem that the pawn shop owner knows about but doesn't want to tell you.

Trust me, I went through a LOT when it comes to buying used gear, so check out every single function, knob, feature, etc. (adjust the tone controls, check every single input, go through all the menus). Just make sure it is 100% OK and nothing is wrong with the unit.

I'd hate to hear you go through what I went through and lose lots of $$$.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    I've read this whole thread and I wouldn't do it. Even if it seems in decent working order and it craps out there are only five NAD service centers in the whole of California. I get the heebie jeebies when I think about electronic gear of any type and a pawn shop.

Just my humble opinion.
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    I've read this whole thread and I wouldn't do it. Even if it seems in decent working order and it craps out there are only five NAD service centers in the whole of California. I get the heebie jeebies when I think about electronic gear of any type and a pawn shop.

Just my humble opinion.

I wouldn't do it either. Simply because there is too much risk with such a purchase, and I've learned to be a smarter buyer.

And I'm f****** angry right now because of what happened.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Hey Kex. Offer low. I have had Pawn shops go down to below 50% of what they have it listed for. As for test equipment? 1 PC, 1 IC, 1 source, 1 SC and one speaker. Check all channels, L+R and try to find a problem. After testing, say "I dunno", I really don't need one and then complain about any scratches, dents, blemishes [whatever]. Act as if you don't want it at all, start to gather your stuff mentioning that you'd like to think about it and start to walk away.

Turn around and low ball the hell out of them. You might be surprised. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hey Kex. Offer low. I have had Pawn shops go down to below 50% of what they have it listed for. As for test equipment? 1 PC, 1 IC, 1 source, 1 SC and one speaker. Check all channels, L+R and try to find a problem. After testing, say "I dunno", I really don't need one and then complain about any scratches, dents, blemishes [whatever]. Act as if you don't want it at all, start to gather your stuff mentioning that you'd like to think about it and start to walk away.

Good advice.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008

Somebody knows how to negotiate! If you're gonna do it, do it this way. ;)
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    ... As for test equipment? 1 PC, 1 IC, 1 source, 1 SC and one speaker. ...
    Could anyone translate please?! 1 IC is one interconnect, right? But not applicable in this case AFIK (receiver), unless you're counting audio cables such as coaxial, optical or analog RCA. 1 source, I get. One speaker is self explanatory. Clarification required mostly for:

- 1 PC.
    - 1 SC.

Thanks!
    Alea jacta est!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2008
    IC - InterConnect
    PC - power cord.
    SC - speaker Cable.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    McLoki wrote: »
    IC - InterConnect
    PC - power cord.
    SC - speaker Cable.
    It all makes sense now! Thanks Michael, and will do treitz3!
    Alea jacta est!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    i would pass.. have you ever seen the condition of some of the audio gear in pawn shops? at least here.. the stuff is in horrible condition.. and they want a freakin' arm and a leg for it.

for two years there was a pair of RT100i's at the local pawn shop.. firm price was $599. the cab condition was about a 7 out of 10, one driver surround was torn, the grill on one had several holes in it.. basically they were about a $150 tops pair of speakers.

pawn shops buy stuff extremely cheap, and sell it for three or four times what it is worth.

I would pass on the NAD if it were me. I hope you get a good one and things turn out great. But my experience with pawn shops has been a bad one. I will never sell nor buy from a pawn shop. ever. $500 isn't small pocket change..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    I bought a pair of B&W 600is from a pawn shop for $50 three years ago, and they are still in use today, and sound better than ever. I like Treitz method, and that is about what I did with my speakers....I brought in my C-1 and a M400t, plugged them up and promptly blew a fuse....:D

We actually went into the back and set them up, he grabbed a cheap CDP from the shelf, and I let em rip. To the point where there was concern that my ears might start bleeding, it was actually uncomfortably loud. I let it go for about five minutes like that, then turned them down to a "normal" volume and listened closely. After about 20 minutes I grabbed up my ****, and took it to the car. I came back in and told the guy that they sounded OK, but not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I would consider them, I wasn't sure. The tag on them was $180. The guy asked what I would pay for them, I told him I had $50 in my pocket and that would be the ceiling today, and he took it. I really think that he sold them to me so cheap because he thought I blew them out...:D
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited January 2008
    When you go test it out...make sure and have a listen to both digital and analog feeds. I had a T752 in my house for a couple days and found there was a fair bit of speaker "hiss" when watching movies in 5.1 . Also....see if you can determine if the pre-outs are working properly. The "sub" outs on the one I had were not working. I ended up sending the unit back to the guy i bought it from.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    My one son takes good stuff to pawn all the time. Go check it out, if you buy and it busts then you are going to have to pay to get it fixed, that how it works my friend.

RT1
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    A NAD component without warranty? No way.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Pawn shops stink.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    I almost bought some Thiel CS2.3s from a pawn shop. They were listed for $1500, I tried to get them for $600. Could've grabbed them for $800, but both tweeters had some damage and the cabs weren't in great shape.

Also, the guy was "demoing" them off a 50 watt Onkyo receiver (on sale for $50) some crappy cables, and a minitek DVD player ($15). He only had one CD and it was rap. I cringed to think of how bad blasting rap on the thiels with that receiver was for such a nice pair of speakers. "Watch, they can go even louder! They're nice speakers; the guy that dropped them off said you need big speaker wire for them."
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    Lots of great feedback, guys, thanks! I am going to see if I can get over there later today, at least out of curiosity (I've never even been inside a Pawn Shop before), keeping all of your comments in mind. If anything seems fishy or makes me feel less than comfortable, I'll simply walk back out with just a gallon of gasoline out of pocket and some time lost.
    Alea jacta est!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    I looked at a pair of Carver Amazings at a pawn shop once. They were hooked up to a cheap Sony prologic AVR. Sounded like crap. He wanted way more than they were worth IMO. The problem with the Carvers is the cost to replace the ribbon tweet if it is bad...and there was no way you could tell in the shop. Needless to say...I passed.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    who in their right mind would take a good piece of gear to a pawn shop? Seriously, think about it. if it was in good condition.. they would have sold it in a private sale or online. Pawn shop gear IMHO is gear that has been abused. often times without serial numbers.... and it's to much of a gamble for me.. regardless of awesome price.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    who in their right mind would take a good piece of gear to a pawn shop?

not so smart people who need money right now, they expect to get the gear later when they repay the pawn loan, but they never go back and lose the stuff.

These shops are certainly not a primary source for gear, I do find some live music pro gear from time to time that I can use, I know severaly members here who have found some jewels in pawn shops, I am sure there have also been some dogs along the way, but then that happens everyday on e-bay and even on the Gon.

RT1