Composite video, why most recent AV preamp/pro/receivers still have these?

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just don't get it, given the trend with HDMI, Multichannels, etc in the past few years, I failed to see why most recent gears still has composite video hookup option? Even S-Video has almost reached the status of being obsolete (IMO). Those expensive real estate in the back is better off used for extra HDMI, multiple analog 7.1, several sets components, yada yada yada.

Seriouly, I am curious how many of you still has use for composite video in connecting your video gears?

I am just ranting.
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    You can still hook up older VCR's, camcorders, portable DVD players and other devices that don't offer other types of connections. They may be obsolete for some, but not mainstream yet. I wouldn't but a TV without them.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    I do. A lot of DVDs still use them. Computers still use them. The thing I would like to see on Pre's, and receivers is a second set of 7.1 direct inputs. No matter what the signal is if you sneeze on a display it is still going to be red. green, and blue. If you get a very nice player sometimes they will do the conversion from digital to analog better than the display, or the Pre/receiver.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You can still hook up older VCR's, camcorders, portable DVD players and other devices that don't offer other types of connections. They may be obsolete for some, but not mainstream yet. I wouldn't but a TV without them.

That's the only way for me to hook up my camcorder and Super Nintendo :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • polkatese
    edited January 2008
    I can see that with TV, but with receivers/pre/pro?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    They are handy for utlity screen displays like my SMS-1 or menu displays for device where PQ is not important.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Chit! I forgot the SMS-1. Good point there Darla.
    polkatese wrote: »
    I can see that with TV, but with receivers/pre/pro?
    They are there for the folks that have the old dinosaur TV's with only a cable hookup and nothing else. Sheer convenience. The industry has so many different connections out there that they are forced to keep up with all of them, or lose certain market share because of non-compatibility.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    That is what the majority of my equipment has. I'm not the least bit interested in HDMI yet. And since I don't plan on upgrading any equipment anytime soon I keep with what I have.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2008
    OSD, is what I can think of
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    HDMI sucks. How many effing versions do they have now, 3...4 because they can't get it right. That's BS.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited January 2008
    Entry Level receivers don't video upconvert and need the composite to display onscreen menu systems. Enter the Yamaha rxv661.

As said, there is to much gear that people still use and want to include in there systems. I see it everyday.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    HDMI sucks. How many effing versions do they have now, 3...4 because they can't get it right. That's BS.
    I heard the 4th is going to be the final, then they're possible going to firewire.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    I heard the 4th is going to be the final, then they're possible going to firewire.

Hilarious.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »

At least I didn't go out and buy a HDMI processor like I was going to a while ago, I would be setting fire to someone's warehouse if this **** disappeared a little after a year of being out..
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2008
    polkatese wrote: »
    I just don't get it, given the trend with HDMI, Multichannels, etc in the past few years, I failed to see why most recent gears still has composite video hookup option? Even S-Video has almost reached the status of being obsolete (IMO). Those expensive real estate in the back is better off used for extra HDMI, multiple analog 7.1, several sets components, yada yada yada.

Seriouly, I am curious how many of you still has use for composite video in connecting your video gears?

I am just ranting.

Well, how about people (still the majority) who don't have HD, like me. I don't use composite, but I run all connections to my reciever using S-video, and run one S-video to the tv. Plus, most people (yes, not you guys;)) don't want to spend 100 bucks a piece on HDMI cables.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    By the time I get back into the swing of things I am sure I will be looking to get my first holograph projector.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited January 2008
    This is the potential downfall of being an early adopter- generally higher costs costs, some limited options in terms of compatability and possibility of a brief lifespan.

I'm staying patient on the video/dvd front.
    At least I didn't go out and buy a HDMI processor like I was going to a while ago, I would be setting fire to someone's warehouse if this **** disappeared a little after a year of being out..

I use composite for OSD as well.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • polkatese
    edited January 2008
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Plus, most people (yes, not you guys;)) don't want to spend 100 bucks a piece on HDMI cables.

monoprice.com, that's where my HDMI cables came from, 10 footer for $19.24

I see that some of you DO has use for composite, and that's cool.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    You still need composites for SACD, and us cheap f*cks that don't want to upgrade our satelite rcvrs!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    I use it for SNES and N64. Smash Brothers, baby!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850