1 year smoke free today

Fireman32
Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well today marks an anniversary that I did not think I would make. A year ago I decided that it was time to finally kick the habit that was with me for 23 years. The first few weeks were tough but I got through it and I can say now that the smell of a cig disgusts me.

I put on 50 pounds since quitting and have lost 20 of them already. I feel so much better then I ever did. I have alot more energy and have started exercising. I walk 5 miles a day and plan to start running soon.

Thanks to all of the forum members who helped me through this and look foward to another year.

Here is my quit stats as per the quitnet site
Time Smoke-Free: 364 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 15 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 7292

Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 25 days, 16 hours

Money Saved: $2,263.00
Post edited by Fireman32 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Quitter.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    I quit one time. The worst hour and a half of my life.

Seriously, I have cut back A LOT the past few weeks. Tried cold turkey once and wanted to kill everyone within swingin', shootin and kickin' distance.
    Cig makers say "they're not addictive". Horsesh!t.
    ATTA BOY, Dave!
    Eff U Doro!:D
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited January 2008
    $2263 - transferred to another addiction, say, I don't know, maybe audio gear?

Awesome accomplishment, just awesome. I've never smoked, but I've seen many a person throw away their health and all that money for the addiction.

Keep it up!

MovTarget
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Congrats!!! I've been 5yrs. and 4 months. Still get cravings.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    If I were closer i'd take you for some Steaks!
    I hear they taste better after you quit.
    Morton's anyone?
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Great choice man. You won't regret that at all, and it sounds like you already aren't. Keep it up.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2008
    So how many times have you scored since you quit?

Smoking is cool, and you know it. Start again, cigars this time.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I hear they taste better after you quit.
    Morton's anyone?

They always taste better when someone else is buying:)
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations. Disgusting habit. Can't believe you were dumb enough to smoke in the first place. What kind of idiot wants to breathe THAT all day. Good looking women won't even consider a guy who puffs. Can you believe that you spent $5/day stopping to take a break 20x a day just to inhale something that has no other purpose other than trying to establish lung cancer? I hear that your lungs recover 80% within a 2-year period after your LAST cigg.

- just trying to keep you smoke-free!!!
  • Fireman32
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Congrats Dave!, That's awesome!, MY Fiancee's Mom just celebrated two years with no ciggs.

If I were closer i'd take you for some Steaks!

At the next PolkFest!

Sal

You got it man. Fodd does taste much better. Coffee got 10 times better as well.
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Smoking is cool, and you know it. Start again, cigars this time.

I do enjoy a nice cigar every now and then. Sometimes when im in the smoky bar it helps mask all the cig smoke
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations Dave,,good on you,,BTW,, I have to ask, even though I know,,,what is fodd?:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • kcarl
    kcarl Posts: 20
    edited January 2008
    Great decision! Unfortunately, I watched my younger sister slowly suffocate from lung cancer about 2 years ago - very difficult time. Sadly, she had finally given up smoking cold turkey 3 months before finding out she had lung cancer. It really startles me to see people smoking anything these days.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations!You rock!

5.gif
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited January 2008
    Six weeks here, and I'm going out of my damn mind.
    I actually had trouble sleeping in the first three weeks.
    I'm just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    stumbling upon your post, was a breath of fresh optimism.
    I can't wait for my one year anniversary.
    congrats man!
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited January 2008
    kcarl wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I watched my younger sister slowly suffocate from lung cancer about 2 years ago - very difficult time. Sadly, she had finally given up smoking cold turkey 3 months before finding out she had lung cancer.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I wish it will be nothing but good news for your family from now on.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    carpenter wrote: »
    Six weeks here, and I'm going out of my damn mind.
    I actually had trouble sleeping in the first three weeks.
    I'm just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    stumbling upon your post, was a breath of fresh optimism.
    I can't wait for my one year anniversary.
    congrats man!

Dude if you need someone to talk you through some of those bad times where the cravings and urges are getting the best of you, call me! PM sent.

BTW lay off the booze for the first couple of months as that will take you right into smoking again.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Right ON! Dave! In your second year, fodd I'm sure will taste better as will food, beer, & women!!!

Don't be surprised if you get some chest pains or odd sore throats, it's all part of the healing process.

I would love to take Russ's advice and smoke cigars, the only problem is that when I did smoke I always had good cigars on hand and I never just puffed them, I used to inhale for that really potent nicotene rush. I'm afraid if I smoked a cigar it might just set me off again.

BTW I'm coming up on two years smoke free and I get no cravings whatsoever.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Congrats Dave; way to go!!!!!!

I remember quittting around the same time you did...but only lasted around 3 months. But now I am again smoke free since labor day. This will be IT!

Glad to hear you are feeling good....that, for me, makes the EFFORT so much worth it. Being able to run up some stairs and still be able to breath normally...priceless.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations! You've broken the 1 year mark--and that IS a milestone.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2008
    Running upstairs without huffing and puffing is overrated. If it's not, why do I jockey for position on escalators and elevators with all the healthy mofos?

Congrats on quitting.
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited January 2008
    congrats, how about a cigar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2008
    Way to go Dave! Smoke free for a year is just awesome!!! Luckily I never smoked, but if I did the price of those nasties would be enough to make me quit. Pros: healthier & longer life, plenty more money in your wallet, your car & apt won't smell like an ash tray anymore, food & drink can now be enjoyed, (smokers taste buds are shot to hell) your clothes no longer stink...& on & on. Cons: Can't think of any , because there aren't any!! Congrats!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Fireman32
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations Dave,,good on you,,BTW,, I have to ask, even though I know,,,what is fodd?:D

You have to ask george. lol I love fodd
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    congrats on your anti smoking career!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    Congrats. Keep it up.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2008
    Congrats! Must be harder now that you're down here in NC :)
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    Congrats to all of you who have kicked the habit! Your lungs are thanking you every single day as are your wallets.

Fireman, just keep walking, it doesn't make sense to clear your lungs to eventually need to get knee replacements from wearing them out running.

Of course if you do, you won't have to worry about having a massive heart attack & dying in recovery from all the damage done by smoking! (this happened to a co-worker of mine years ago.)

Keep up the good work fellas, I'll send some positive thoughts your way to help!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2008
    Very admirable accomplishment. I don't have personal experience but I've heard to make sure you don't let your guard down and think you can have one even on a special occasion or celebration. Good job.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    Congrats, Fireman.

I wish I had something I could give up to save over $2000 a year AND make myself feel better physically. Driving? Eating? I suppose I could give up driving and ride the bicycle to work, that'd accomplish that. But, it's a bit chilly this time of year to be out on the bike.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Money Saved: $2,263.00

If you are unwilling to spend that money today on an audio purchase then I have lost all respect for you. :p
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D